Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 06-30-2010, 03:08 PM   #41
Lear31MX
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (8)
QdO
Lear31MX will become famous soon enoughLear31MX will become famous soon enough
Default Re: A Basic Humidor Buying Guide

Thanks for the good info Adam. I don't want to spend more then 250$ I think i would like a wood humi. if there was a cooler sitting around my house my wife would emty it out and use it for something else
I'm gooing to home depot after work and picking up that acu-rite to, thanks.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:53 PM   #42
Lear31MX
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (8)
QdO
Lear31MX will become famous soon enoughLear31MX will become famous soon enough

I think I'm going to go with the Havana Foot locker humi. Thanks guys for the input
Old 06-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #43
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lear31MX View Post
I think I'm going to go with the Havana Foot locker humi. Thanks guys for the input
If you're planning on storing a lot of boxes, especially long term, that's a good humidor. They usually seal very well and being rather deep, they can stack boxes well. Depending on your box sizes, you might have to play tetris once in awhile though (no different than a cooler really).
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #44
waffle
Who doesn't love Waffles?

First Name: Steve (Stephen)
Trading: (38)
waffle has a spectacular aura aboutwaffle has a spectacular aura about

Hi, just joined this forum specifically because of this thread. It has been incredibly helpful and I'm just getting into the hobby. I got a a humidor off of famous-smoke.com about 2 months ago and I already want to upgrade. I'm trying to decide between the foot locker and the treasure dome. These will most likely end up hiding in my basement so my wife doesnt castrate me... I originally planned on a small humidor to go on top of our wine fridge, but by the sounds of these, I don't think they'll fit. Again I want to say thanks!
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #45
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffle View Post
Hi, just joined this forum specifically because of this thread. It has been incredibly helpful and I'm just getting into the hobby. I got a a humidor off of famous-smoke.com about 2 months ago and I already want to upgrade. I'm trying to decide between the foot locker and the treasure dome. These will most likely end up hiding in my basement so my wife doesnt castrate me... I originally planned on a small humidor to go on top of our wine fridge, but by the sounds of these, I don't think they'll fit. Again I want to say thanks!
Welcome to CA & cigars!

Yeah, Havana Foot Lockers and Treasure Domes are bigger than they look in the pictures.

Another option for you is to get a smaller humidor for on top of your wine fridge and get a big cooler to hide in the basement and put smokes in. Best of both worlds. Small, classy looking storage where people see it atop the wine fridge, and lots of reserve storage for not a lot of money down out of sight in the basement.

There are also some combination wine racks with humidors built in at the top.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #46
waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Welcome to CA & cigars!

Yeah, Havana Foot Lockers and Treasure Domes are bigger than they look in the pictures.

Another option for you is to get a smaller humidor for on top of your wine fridge and get a big cooler to hide in the basement and put smokes in. Best of both worlds. Small, classy looking storage where people see it atop the wine fridge, and lots of reserve storage for not a lot of money down out of sight in the basement.

There are also some combination wine racks with humidors built in at the top.
Our wine Fridge is actually a dual zone fridge, however, somehow I doubt my wife would actually allow me to take over the red section of it, as that's about all she drinks. I would love to store the humi I currently have there, but it looks a bit cheap and I'm almost ashamed of it! It looks like I may be in the market for two humis... oh well, thats what impulse buys with not enough knowledge do to me!
Old 07-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #47
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffle View Post
Our wine Fridge is actually a dual zone fridge, however, somehow I doubt my wife would actually allow me to take over the red section of it, as that's about all she drinks. I would love to store the humi I currently have there, but it looks a bit cheap and I'm almost ashamed of it! It looks like I may be in the market for two humis... oh well, thats what impulse buys with not enough knowledge do to me!
I meant get something like a 150 count humidor and set it on top of the fridge, not in the top section.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #48
waffle

Sounds like a plan... any suggestions?
Old 07-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #49
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

So many ones out there to pick from, you need to find one that fits the space on top of the wine fridge, your needs, your budget and your personality. I would start with Mark's site or CI for mass produced, or get in touch with Ed (waxingmoon) if you want a custom humidor made. Humidormister also makes some very fine custom humidors, but his cost bank because of all the hand fitted wood detail work.

Depends what you want to store there, boxes or just a diverse selection of singles or like three or four of each cigar from your collection, while the boxes stay down in the cooler, or a combination of boxes and loose cigars.

Do you want them displayed (glass humidor) or do you just want a wood humidor?

I would be cautious of the humidors with many pull out drawers though, some do seal, but a lot of them leak like sieves.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #50
waffle

I appreciate the help T.G, I ended up going with The Cordoba Humidor - 125 Capacity after talking with my loving bride who said for Christmas and she'll get me a big one!!! I have a crazy awesome bride and she's as big of enabler as anyone!
Old 07-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #51
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Just looked up the Cordoba, nice looking humidor, with a simple, reliable, proven design.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #52
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post

Just looked up the Cordoba, nice looking humidor, with a simple, reliable, proven design.
Be Very Careful Opening & Closing Your New Humi. The Hinges Tore Loose On My Treasuredome & I Had To Trash It. Now I'm Going With A Custom From Ed (Waxingmoon).
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #53
waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Be Very Careful Opening & Closing Your New Humi. The Hinges Tore Loose On My Treasuredome & I Had To Trash It. Now I'm Going With A Custom From Ed (Waxingmoon).
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be gentle with it.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #54
Swif

Just joined due to this thread.

I have been smoking cigars for almost 3 years know. I have just under a box of VSG's and Casa Fuete House cigars. I also have about 20 singels of diffent makes.

I am in the market to expand to a larger humidor. I ahave been reading a lot on the wine rador things and came acrros a few times about a freon set up is not good. I also read that some people like fans on things like this and other don't. My thought on the fan blow air is that these can take the geat sent out of you humidor. Also I would think this would affect the cigars by moving to much air.

I have seen the xs 2000 and think that is amazing, but I am not looking to spend that kind of money.

I deffently want something that can hold at least 400 sticks with temp and humitity control. I am floating around the idea of $800. If I can stay on the cheaper side and have a great humidor that will be great. At the same time I know that I want something to hold my cigar collect as it grows for long periods of time.

Thanks for your in put ans what a great site.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #55
omgbiscuit
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (0)
omgbiscuit is on a distinguished road

I'm currently only sporting a very small "20-count" humidor. It's a very cheap one that came with a 25 pack of samplers from Thompson cigar. (I've actually learned my lesson from that purchase and that's a story for another time)

My question is -> I'm looking for a 50-75 or maybe even 100 count that's of decent quality and is affordable on a college student's budget (say between $50-$100). I really love the wood humi's that have a nice dark finish.

I've read so many great things here about selection already but there are just so many options out there I don't want to end up with something that's really more of a gimmick than a good durable humidor.
omgbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #56
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgbiscuit View Post
My question is -> I'm looking for a 50-75 or maybe even 100 count that's of decent quality and is affordable on a college student's budget (say between $50-$100). I really love the wood humi's that have a nice dark finish.

I've read so many great things here about selection already but there are just so many options out there I don't want to end up with something that's really more of a gimmick than a good durable humidor.
Try cigarbid.com or cheaphumidors.com, I prefer the former. You should be able to score something like a Treasure Dome for around $100, and they are listed at 250 cigars I believe
Old 02-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #57
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Try cigarbid.com or cheaphumidors.com, I prefer the former. You should be able to score something like a Treasure Dome for around $100, and they are listed at 250 cigars I believe
I would avoid a glasstop for your first larger humidor. They are very fickle when it comes to maintaining a constant Rh. Be sure to factor in the cost of 2-4oz of beads and a good digital hygrometer. I like Heartfeltindustries 65% beads.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #58
omgbiscuit
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (0)
omgbiscuit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
I hear that those are deceptively large. I don't know if I would be able to accomodate a bigger one.
omgbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #59
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgbiscuit View Post
I hear that those are deceptively large. I don't know if I would be able to accomodate a bigger one.
Humidors are notoriously small, very rarely will you come close to fitting the 'capacity' that is listed. Unless, of course, you are storing cigarillos and PC's. The Treasure Dome is about the size of a small microwave.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:09 AM   #60
BnBTobacco

In choosing humidor aside from the price its durability must be considered first.