Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough
Default Love of small cigars

When I first started smoking cigars I loved the big Churchills. My first favorite cigar was the Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur #1 natural. That was my go to for quite awhile. Then over time I started moving toward rothschilds and robustos and there I stayed for many years.

IMHO the US market moves toward larger and larger both length and RG cigars. It weird that my 50-52 ring gauge robustos now seem skinny in the world of 60+ rg smokes. About a year ago I had a Perdomo Cuban Parejo Rosado that was a 60 rg and I was almost embarrassed to smoke it in public.

Oddly enough in this time of cigar expansion I have started dabbling in coronas and petite coronas and have found real joy in the shorter smaller ring gauge smokes. What sparked this post was I picked up some Fire by Indian Tabac Maduro mini coronas on C-Bid. They came in today and I decided to take a break at work and went for a walk. Lying on my desk next some robustos they looked tiny. Uncelloed in my hand it looked quite respectable and well... cigarlike. For 22 minutes I enjoyed a rich full cigar, did not feel rushed, did not waste and had the whole cigar experience. It was quite tasty and a pleasant diversion for the work at hand.

Small cigars are a little trickier to smoke in some ways. Particularly that you cant just puff through them without turning them into a firecracker. Still if you are willing to be attentive you get as much or more flavor, smoke and experience without the commitment. One of my favorites was a ERDM petite corona from 91' that was given to me as a gift. Sweet and tasty and lasted around 20 minutes carefully sipping. The fire was more robust and needed less attention than the ERDM but the experience of the SIZE was not dis-similar.

I will always have a place for the 1-2 hour smokes for those occasions I have 1-2 hours to smoke. Those occasions are pretty rare and for me right now and the small cigar is a treat for it's own merits as well as the time benefit.

Any other folks love a small cigar?
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of
Default Re: Love of small cigars

My preference has changed as well!

I am enjoying smaller and thinner cigars more and more!!!

The flavor and complexity is what I enjoy without having to smoke for two hours!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

I like them for the weeknight quickies. Still like the big smokes for outings, when time permits.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

I have been experimenting with the lanceros as well which is interesting also. Still you run into the time issue. I remember someone talking about cutting a fundadore in half and I about cried. I'm not that desperate for shorter time but small rg is good and short length is also good. Who knew?
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

I find it interesting that that cubans are making more and more larger rg cigars and nc's are coming out with more and more samller rg cigars like lanceros.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
petewho

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
I find it interesting that that cubans are making more and more larger rg cigars and nc's are coming out with more and more samller rg cigars like lanceros.
The average Cuban mouth is expanding
Old 10-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
shemp
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: clark
Trading: (0)
Partagas
shemp is on a distinguished road

i started out with the big guages and a good brother, SMOKINAPE, turned me on to some petite corona, that were delicious, now i try em big and small.
shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

I'm trying to balance my cigar selection between large and small cigars. My collection seems weighted towards larger vitolas, so I'm trying to add more smaller selections.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #9
Pipe&Cigar

Quote:
Originally Posted by petewho View Post
The average Cuban mouth is expanding
LOL.. I find it hard to believe that the average NC mouth is getting smaller in that case.

I was at my local B&M and was amazed at all the new Laceros available!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #10
Costa
Cohibo Aficionado

First Name: Craig
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
Costa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
I like them for the weeknight quickies. Still like the big smokes for outings, when time permits.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #11
Spect
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
LGC
Spect is on a distinguished road

I never rush a cigar, if I don't have the time to dedicate I don't do it. That said I really am liking my smaller cigars. PC's and Lanceros are awesome.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:56 PM   #12
Starchild
SERENITY NOW!

First Name: Andre
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
Starchild will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post

Same here I really like PC's and robustos, but my favorite are the small perfectos

Can we get one of those smileys with a smaller cigar please ^
Starchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:22 PM   #13
Mystophales
Heavy Metal Jesus

Trading: (0)
Bolivar
Mystophales is on a distinguished road

I am with ya brother...every box I have purchased over the last year has been in the corona sized group...46 to as low as 38 RG and am loving it. I just find I get to the "sweet spot" earlier and have it for a longer time. I actually have to force myself to smoke anything larger.
Mystophales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:38 AM   #14
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Trading: (32)
Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
My preference has changed as well!

I am enjoying smaller and thinner cigars more and more!!!

The flavor and complexity is what I enjoy without having to smoke for two hours!!!
cigarmonkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:24 AM   #15
livwire68
Las Vegas Herf Crew

Trading: (7)
SLR
livwire68 is on a distinguished road

I have been smoking more lanceros and shorter smokes. But also smoking more than one.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:25 AM   #16
dmoby

Anything over a 49 rg is a waste.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #17
Sancho
Puddle Jumper

First Name: Chris
Trading: (7)
Sancho has disabled reputation

I tend to agree, most of what I smoke regularly is in the mareva, lancero, corona, PC category. I do enjoy a robusto from time to time but my heart lies with the thinner ring gauge sticks. In the end its all about variety for me, there a times Im in the mood for a churchill as well, even if those times are few and far between.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:52 AM   #18
Benwoo

To be considerate of the GF I've started adding smaller stix to the Vino. Haven't had the chance to run through anything smaller then a robusto as of yet. I did have a Lancero a couple weeks back and that was pleasant. I still tend to gravitate towards the larger (length wise with a moderate RG), but I'm givin the little guys a chance!
Old 10-22-2008, 08:02 AM   #19
Beer Doctor

In the past two years I've been slowly gravitating towards smaller cigars. 50 rg and below are where the majority of my sticks are.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:00 AM   #20
Cigarmark

I too have gravitated to smaller cigars, coronas. pc and even some of the handmade mini's. The LFD Canajos are awesome. Before turning to the dark side, I loved the 50+ rg. Now I tend to get bored with the 2 hour cigar. A good pc or conona can give me a pleasureable hour of smoking. I still enjoy a robusto or toro, but much bigger than that and I tend to put it down early unless its an awesome smoke. I have not really got into lanceros much. They are awkward feeling to me.