Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2021, 12:15 PM   #1
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Drone Anyone?

For Christmas this year I will be getting a DJI Mavic Air 2 Drone. Have been interested in them for a while just never did get around to getting one til now.

Is there anyone here who uses them to take video and pics? I is my interest/intent to do videos and pictures of historic places, old homesteads, and other interesting places near me.

Have already registered it with FAA, under the exception for recreational flyers. After reading up on it though there seems to be some different opinions on what separates recreational flying and posting viedeos to social media/YouTube. So I have enrolled in a class at Pilot Institute to secure a commercial license as well.

I will post videos in our community Facebook page where I live, but I am also creating a YouTube channel for it as well with the intention/hope that I can get good enough and eventually monetize the account. If it never meets requirements to monetize it won't be a big deal but you gotta have goals right?

I also talked to a good friend of mine whom is an Assistant Chief at our local fire department. He told me there is a class they do for Public Service Drones that will allow me to be a pilot of the drones our local sheriff's office has that are $20k drones. Flying during public events and fires, etc. I told him to let me know then the next class is and I would love to take it.

Maybe once I get my channel up and running I may post a link to the channel so if anyone is interested in seeing videos from Northeast Florida they could check it out.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 01:43 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Drone Anyone?

Sounds pretty cool, Greg. Looking forward to pics and vid!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 01:44 PM   #3
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Sounds pretty cool, Greg. Looking forward to pics and vid!
I am sure in the short term they will be pretty crappy. Most people do a lot of post editing to get the cinematic look, I gotta learn how to do that, but hope to get there eventually.
Old 12-18-2021, 02:57 PM   #4
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I thought from the title you were offering to drone anyone for us. I was all excited to have a foolproof way to win the Dead Pool.

Old 12-18-2021, 04:15 PM   #5
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
I thought from the title you were offering to drone anyone for us. I was all excited to have a foolproof way to win the Dead Pool.

Once I get it down pat, maybe I could drop a knife from the drone on their heads. LOL
Old 12-18-2021, 05:25 PM   #6
Hammerhead

Trading: (0)
Hammerhead is on a distinguished road

Just bought an Air 2s myself. Suffice to say, there's so much boondoggle going on with government regulation, you'd think these things are causing civilian aircraft to drop from out of the skies.

Unfortunately, the FAA prohibits flying in most of the areas we recreational flyers want to get shots, which is to say, exactly where you want to fly... historic areas or national parks. Just more government fuc#ery to add to the complexity of your life.

While I completely understand the notion that we don't want to send a drone into the engine of a 777, my understanding is that there have been zero (yes, ZERO) hobbyist collisions with aircraft. It's been primarily military UAS units... and geese which cause the majority of hazards. Perhaps those fowl should be required by the FAA to study for and obtain their Part 107 before roosting by an airport.

If Benjamin Franklin were alive today, he'd be arrested for flying a kite without a license.

That said, download the 'B4UFLY' app and you'll see where in yiur area yiu can safely (and legally) go aloft.
Hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 09:13 PM   #7
Brlesq
Carpe cigar!

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
Brlesq will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post

Disqualified!
Old 12-19-2021, 12:09 AM   #8
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Does it have a flamer-thrower? It's GOT to have a flame-thower!

Old 12-19-2021, 06:08 AM   #9
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

For a CA inmate, wouldn’t the natural thing be to use the drone to bomb members with cigars?

Have fun!
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 06:17 AM   #10
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
Just bought an Air 2s myself. Suffice to say, there's so much boondoggle going on with government regulation, you'd think these things are causing civilian aircraft to drop from out of the skies.

Unfortunately, the FAA prohibits flying in most of the areas we recreational flyers want to get shots, which is to say, exactly where you want to fly... historic areas or national parks. Just more government fuc#ery to add to the complexity of your life.

While I completely understand the notion that we don't want to send a drone into the engine of a 777, my understanding is that there have been zero (yes, ZERO) hobbyist collisions with aircraft. It's been primarily military UAS units... and geese which cause the majority of hazards. Perhaps those fowl should be required by the FAA to study for and obtain their Part 107 before roosting by an airport.

If Benjamin Franklin were alive today, he'd be arrested for flying a kite without a license.

That said, download the 'B4UFLY' app and you'll see where in yiur area yiu can safely (and legally) go aloft.
I was astounded at the many, many regulations and rules. I already got the B4UFLY app and fortunately for me I live in a very rural are in a rural county so it's not too crazy. My county also has no local ordinances on drones. The community I live in is pretty much surrounded by a National Forest (Osceola) on the west, south, and north, and a state forest too. I see that you can't fly over any state parks, forests, etc. But it looks like I would be good to go in the Osceola National Forest but I am gonna make some phone calls just to be sure.
Old 12-19-2021, 07:23 AM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I have Mavic Mini for a year now. Best investment are range extenders for the handset. One fun thing to try is sending the drone straight up on a low cloudy day. Best in the morning and get above the clouds.

We live near a rail yard and there can be motorcycles racing and doing burn outs from time to time. I'll send the drone to take a look and get a description before calling the police.
Old 12-21-2021, 05:56 PM   #12
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Thanks to all who commented. The YouTube Channel is up. Currently I only have an introduction video. It will probably be another week before I actually post some drone video. I am interested in monetizing it someday, but it looks like I have to have 1000 subscribers and 4000 watch hours before that can happen. Thanks ahead of time to anyone that feels sorry for me and subscribes.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiv...h3NqfR46mXtGmQ
Old 12-21-2021, 06:01 PM   #13
longknocker
Postwhore

Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Subscribed, Brother!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 06:07 PM   #14
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Hey Greg!

A friend from high school got into drones after retiring. His passion is for steam trains and here is a link to a page with many of his videos documenting the first run of the restored 4014 Big Boy. https://www.milehighdroneservices.com/steam/
Old 12-21-2021, 06:20 PM   #15
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Subscribed, Brother!
Thanks Greg. Hope I can keep it interesting my friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Hey Greg!

A friend from high school got into drones after retiring. His passion is for steam trains and here is a link to a page with many of his videos documenting the first run of the restored 4014 Big Boy. https://www.milehighdroneservices.com/steam/
I will definitely check it out and subscribe, need all the help I can get.
Old 12-21-2021, 06:25 PM   #16
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Hey Greg!

I watched one of the vids and that is pretty cool. Thanks for the link.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:05 PM   #17
G G
BR549

Bolivar

I am somewhat up and running on the channel. Won't bombard with endless links every other day, but wanted to post the first one that I am kinda proud of. I do realize though I have a long way to go to make the quality of video I want to make. Check it out and subscribe if you like. I would eventually like to monetize it and see where it leads me. There is a story if you read the video description. This Church is only about 1/2 mile from my home and we have always went to church there and it's where most of my family that are gone on are buried.

Thanks
https://youtu.be/owobw9f31bw
Old 12-28-2021, 04:35 PM   #18
longknocker
Postwhore

Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Looks Good, Greg! Nice Music, Too! What Is The Covered Area Used For?
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 05:04 PM   #19
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Looks Good, Greg! Nice Music, Too! What Is The Covered Area Used For?
It's an outdoor stage. Mostly used for outdoor Gospel Music Concerts. Used to have an annual Campmeeting with 3 nights of the top Gospel Music acts in the nation. And during to height of Covid they had drive in services with the choir and preacher on that stage.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:59 AM   #20
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Nice!