Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Employers Medical Insurance Change is Gonna Bite Me In The A$$

My employer is making a change in our medical plan such that smokers will have to pay an extra $50 per month. A person who smokes more than 6 cigars per year qualifies as a smoker. I understand the intent and even like the fundamental idea, but the specific implementation sucks.

We have to sign an Affidavit regarding our smoking status and there are stiff penalties if you are caught lying -- not that I would do that, but they make this very clear up front.

They got the "6 cigars per year" value from an insurance plan broker.

The one really interesting thing about this, is my wife (who works for the same company) is totally incensed over this (made me feel good). She does not hate my cigar smoking but she is not a fan. Her stance caught me by surprise.

This $50 increase is on top of the annual increase in our insurance (which has gone up significantly over the last three years).

It is disappointing that the real target audience (cigarette smokers) are tainting my hobby. Further, the cigarette smokers can take a smoking cessation class -- and fail to stop smoking -- and still have the $50 waived...

I really, really like my job and I really like cigars so it looks like my disposable income is going to take another hit... *sigh*

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Employers Medical Insurance Change is Gonna Bite Me In The A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
My employer is making a change in our medical plan such that smokers will have to pay an extra $50 per month. A person who smokes more than 6 cigars per year qualifies as a smoker. I understand the intent and even like the fundamental idea, but the specific implementation sucks.

We have to sign an Affidavit regarding our smoking status and there are stiff penalties if you are caught lying -- not that I would do that, but they make this very clear up front.

They got the "6 cigars per year" value from an insurance plan broker.

The one really interesting thing about this, is my wife (who works for the same company) is totally incensed over this (made me feel good). She does not hate my cigar smoking but she is not a fan. Her stance caught me by surprise.

This $50 increase is on top of the annual increase in our insurance (which has gone up significantly over the last three years).

It is disappointing that the real target audience (cigarette smokers) are tainting my hobby. Further, the cigarette smokers can take a smoking cessation class -- and fail to stop smoking -- and still have the $50 waived...

I really, really like my job and I really like cigars so it looks like my disposable income is going to take another hit... *sigh*
My company is going the route of giving you $250 off your high premiums if you take a test for nicotine. /fail

COO BlindMan's Puff
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Pretty soon you'll have to bring a weekly stool sample in to work and if there's not enough fiber your premiums will go up.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Do like me, Mikey. Keep the stogies, pony up the yearly fine, go without insurance, and pray you make it to Medicare before bad health $#!+ hits the fan . . . again.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

I am going to keep the stogies, pony up the fine and keep the insurance -- because I am afraid Medicare may be even worse by the time I am eligible...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
I am going to keep the stogies, pony up the fine and keep the insurance -- because I am afraid Medicare may be even worse by the time I am eligible...
Well, I try to look on the bright side . . . I might be DEAD by the time I am eligible.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

When we give up liberties to preserve life, we deserve neither.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
srduggins
Feeling at Home

First Name: steve
Trading: (37)
LGC
srduggins will become famous soon enoughsrduggins will become famous soon enough

My employer is doing the same thing. Why not enroll in the quit for life program just like the ciggy smokers?
Old 10-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

First Name: Scotty
Trading: (31)
Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
Pretty soon you'll have to bring a weekly stool sample in to work and if there's not enough fiber your premiums will go up.
I will provide fiber-filled samples.

Just sayin'

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
Lockspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Same Situation For Me, Michael. I Just Pay The Extra Fee & Don't Worry About It. I'm Still Going To Smoke Cigars, Brother!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

This -> Further, the cigarette smokers can take a smoking cessation class -- and fail to stop smoking -- and still have the $50 waived...

We had the same thing a few years ago. The head of HR says an occasional cigar isn't treated as a true smoker. Don't know the definition of occasional, don't want to know. They also thought about testing for cotinine, but thought it was a little intrusive. You can use one of those e-cigs and still pop the cotinine test so there were too many variables to the testing. Luckily (so far) it's a med-sized, privately-owned company.

Good luck and I totally agree it sucks balls.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

If it were only that "rough"...pffffffffffftttttttttttt

Two of the major hospital networks in the city have let go somewhere around 1k nurses since the summer. My full-time/weekend position has been eliminated and cut back to part-time. My insurance will go up an additional $100/paycheck not to mention whatever sizable increase is likely to be added considering they haven't even released the 2014 rates. If my mandatory blood test returns positive for nicotine, it's then an additional $50/biweekly deduction.

As of now, my budgeted income for 2014 is 40% of what I will make in 2013.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Sounds like you should stop buying cigars.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #14
emelbee
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Mike
Trading: (18)
Partagas
emelbee is on a distinguished road

6 cigars per year!? I try to stay under 6 per day.

We're getting new health insurance at my work, too, but no details yet. The current plan doesn't have a smoking penalty.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #15
mike_556
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
mike_556 is on a distinguished road

Thankfully, as of yet (knock on wood) cigars are exempt from the cigarette tax on our policy, but it's only a matter of time. The testing for nicotine is BS in my opinion
mike_556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #16
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

I decided to check out the "smoking cessation" option in order to preserve my insurance. This time of year I smoke 2-3 cigars per week -- mostly on Sunday during NFL football.

In order to alleviate my nicotine addiction from these 2-3 cigars per week the people managing the smoking cessation program have determined that I need nicotine gum on a daily basis...

I have not lied to them. I told them why (my motivation) I decided to go through the smoking cessation plan ("forced to do so to maintain my insurance premiums") and that I had not previously given serious thought to quitting cigars.

We will see how it goes...

Old 11-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #17
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I decided to check out the "smoking cessation" option in order to preserve my insurance. This time of year I smoke 2-3 cigars per week -- mostly on Sunday during NFL football.

In order to alleviate my nicotine addiction from these 2-3 cigars per week the people managing the smoking cessation program have determined that I need nicotine gum on a daily basis...

I have not lied to them. I told them why (my motivation) I decided to go through the smoking cessation plan ("forced to do so to maintain my insurance premiums") and that I had not previously given serious thought to quitting cigars.

I have good news! Somehow I managed to not get flagged on my wellness exam!

COO BlindMan's Puff
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #18
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
You coming by today to pick up cigars?
Old 11-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #19
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:

sounds like you have a serious addiction, one in need of multiple interventions. I'll bring the smokes
Old 11-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #20
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Wonder what the insurance companies are going to do if the country legalizes grass in the next couple of years? It is medicinal, isn't it?
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote