Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
AAlmeter
F.U.B.O.

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
AAlmeter is on a distinguished road
Default Some help needed from the photo guys

I will likely be buying a new camera within a day or two. I have several of the DSC-XXXX series that I use daily for work....nothing more than, we'll say, "evidence photos".

I'm looking at the Nikon L100 right now (starting point). That should give you an idea of the bottom of my range right now. I have no interest in getting an SLR or anything too fancy. I dont have an artistic bone in my body and I have no hopes of taking fantastic pictures.

What I'd like is something with the ability to zoom more than my current cameras, the ability to take some wider angle landscape shots, and have better picture quality....especially on the landscape shots. From the VERY basic knowledge Ive gained from here and other forums, I know a lot of people edit their photos to get the nice clear picture with vivid colors. I have zero interest in that...so Id like something that takes a nice picture to begin with.

My target budget is in the sub $4-500 range. I also have little interest in fine tuning the camera...so as many auto-focus, anti-idiot features as possible are a good thing. I also don't see myself taking a whole lot of up close high-definition, capture ever hair on the gnat's ass photos. Good quality portraits and especially landscapes are key.
AAlmeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Some help needed from the photo guys

Personally I'd suggest checking out the SD series Canon line with IS.

Dont even need to spend 4 to 500$ unless you wanted a G series Canon, which is a step down from a DSLR.

See if this fits your needs.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...6415838&sr=1-7
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
AAlmeter
F.U.B.O.

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
AAlmeter is on a distinguished road

Jordan,

From my initial look at it, thats along the lines of what I have...in triplicate.

I'd like something a little better, but dont want to get into the high end stuff. Im essentially looking for a dumbed down version of a DSLR camera.
AAlmeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

In your price range the Nikon L100 should work just fine. You may also look at Canon in the PowerShot SX10 IS.

Canon being a tad bit more price wise. Most of the features are comparable. On the Nikon the aperture is 3.5 while the Canon gets down to 2.8 - which is what I would go with. Better lower light shots.
Nikon does have an ISO of 3200 verse the 1600 on the Canon - but the higher ISO is not always better as it can/will produce grainy shots depending on the light.

I like Canon in the DSLR while I like Nikon in the point and shoot range. Here I would go with the Canon between those two in your price range.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAlmeter View Post
Jordan,

From my initial look at it, thats along the lines of what I have...in triplicate.

I'd like something a little better, but dont want to get into the high end stuff. Im essentially looking for a dumbed down version of a DSLR camera.
Oh well then...

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Powersho...6417543&sr=8-1

Either that or the SX1 IS or SX10 IS.

Enjoy my friend
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote