Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-06-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about
Default Private Lounges

I'm sure some of you saw my post in the Banter thread but I've been thinking about this more in recent days. To fill you in I went to a new shop the other day. Awesome selection, great prices and they offer a "Members only lounge" for 600 a year.

At first I was very put off but I've been thinking more about it. You get 10% off all purchases, free PPV, free Wi-Fi, Drinks and entry to all events and a "personalized locker". I'm curious though on your thoughts since I'm now considering this more than I ever thought I would. Are you a member of a private club? If one existed near you, would you be?
Old 06-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Private Lounges

I am not a member of one, but I feel they can serve a useful and enjoyable purpose. For instance, here in NJ with strict anti-smoking laws affecting public spaces, private lounges offer cigar smokers a welcoming place to light up, and to interact with their fellows. In fact, there is a successful such "club" not far from me.

http://metrocigar.com/index.htm
Old 06-06-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

My B&M's membership cost is pretty steep IMNSHO but I'd probably still be a member if I lived closer to it. Private lounge, discount on all purchases, a huge wall fridge stocked with beer that is free (the owner of the B&M also owns a beer distributorship so the selection is great), free well drinks, private rooms with ppv movies, etc.

It's probably a good thing I don't live closer; my wife would not be happy.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

For me, beyond ambiance and comfort, the biggest 2 questions would be:

1. Proximity to home
2. Hours of operation

Each person's schedule is their own, for me, I'd like something that would be open very late, or self-accessible.

I would also like it to be within 10 miles tops of home.

If those conditions were met, I'd pay $600 a year.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:08 PM   #5
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rob
Trading: (7)
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

I don't think I would, but I have three really nice places to smoke that I own so the lounge isn't necessary. I don't watch too many PPV events, so that's a non sequitur. I have a cooler with beads, no need for a locker.

Now if those conditions didn't exist I would not hesitate to spend the $600 on a membership.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:15 PM   #6
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

One of the local cigar shops started off as a members only private lounge. It was (still is) a large quanset hut and they have added a shop to the front. In the old days, it was just a place that had lights, ventilation and comfy chairs. The cost, as I recall, was low (too far for me to go) but you could access it 24x7 (members had a key). You provided your own cigars and refreshments as well.

If there was a local place that had a good atmosphere, good people, and amenities, then I'd probably join. I have seen and heard too many bad things about storage lockers not to be suspicious of them, but who knows.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:16 PM   #7
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

So when they say private lounge, I'm just wondering how large the room actually is, is there a general public smoking area then behind the green door is an area for the members?

I know awesome reference and phrasing instance.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #8
badbriar

Personally, I would not consider joining at anywhere near that price.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:28 AM   #9
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

I was a member of a private club many years ago with similar benefits and a slightly lower price. Hell I guess a similar price if I adjust for inflation over 20 years. Unless you are looking for the status symbol of a private club and being able to walk through that door while others look and wonder about getting in, it is nowhere near worth the expense. Of course I am so low brow I enjoy hockey can sit in the upper level of an NFL game and I play public golf courses. So I guess bottom line is, if you want it can afford it and that is what you are looking for then go for it.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:11 AM   #10
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I've only been to one "private club" and that was in Singapore. It's private in that the owner selects who is allowed in, but there is no private storage or anything free. Just access to basically every Habanos made since Castro and liquor list that is one of the best in the world.

It's great concept if you have enough a**es to fill every seat. He does as his client list is international.

Making it private with each member keeping a credit card on file would be a neat method where they just sign for everything you cater to their every whim $$$. You could make some serious money on wine if you play it right. You'll need some upfront cash, but could double all your money on wine really quick.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:05 AM   #11
stevieray
Just slacking off

First Name: Steve
Trading: (42)
Bolivar
stevieray has disabled reputation

I pay $720 a year to have access to the 2200 square foot Members Lounge of a shop here in Connecticut. For that price I have a private humidified locker and locked wine storage. I also receive 15% off of anything in the store plus a free hour each month in their golf simulator. The owners are awesome and regularly put on great events at no additional cost to the members such as comedy nights, wine and bourbon tasting, PPV nights etc. Quite frankly, the public side is just as nice as the members side, but there is something to be said for the relationships that are built through club membership. It's also an added bonus that the shop is only a few miles from ESPN, so the club always has sports figures and celebs hanging out. If fact, for better or worse, it's Mike Ditka's home away from home during the football season. That being said, if the shop was more than 10 miles from my house I would not belong. When I first joined a few years ago I was at the club all the time, but life gets in the way and it's harder to get over there lately.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:07 AM   #12
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
I pay $720 a year to have access to the 2200 square foot Members Lounge of a shop here in Connecticut. For that price I have a private humidified locker and locked wine storage.
Can you store your own wines in the locker?
Old 06-07-2015, 09:50 AM   #13
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

Bolivar Army (Active)

Loving the input guys. I'm still on the fence about this one. We shall see though.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #14
stevieray
Just slacking off

First Name: Steve
Trading: (42)
Bolivar
stevieray has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Can you store your own wines in the locker?
The humidified personal locker is a 1 foot cube and I can store whatever I want in it. Most guys keep scotch or liquor in them. The members lounge has locked temp controlled wine cabinets and each member gets anywhere from 1 to 4 slots depending on level of membership. We have management open the cabinets for us to get the bottles out. This B&M does not have a liquor or food license. It's BYOB.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:22 PM   #15
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

The key to the private lounge are the ammenties you can offer. In stevieray's case, it sounds pretty good.

I'd consider if it was close by, had the services I wanted, nice decore, and a mix people I would like to be around.

Portmann's in Switzerland has a member's lounge next to the store with 24 hour access and waiter that lives up stairs for near 24 service if needed. I believe they charge for drinks (well it is Switzerland...). Very nice furniture, kind of modern. Restaurant down the street.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:29 PM   #16
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

If there was a club with the amenities mentioned that was a decent size( wouldn't want something so small that every seat would be taken most times I went there!) and was close to home I would be willing to pay $600 a year to belong!
Old 06-07-2015, 06:17 PM   #17
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

Bolivar Army (Active)

Well guys. After much thought, I'm sticking with the good Ol' trusty B&M lounge. BYO, Good Company and free.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #18
GodOfFire
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jackie
Trading: (10)
GodOfFire is on a distinguished road

I would join something like this in a heartbeat. I love the idea of 24 hour access that's incredible!
GodOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote