Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-05-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
whodeeni

Thumbs up Joya De Nicaragua Dark Corojo Antano Poderoso

6X54
Wrapper: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua

Strength: Full

Price: 9.25

Appearance & Construction:
Dark Chocolate Color, Oily, Toothy, with Minimal Veins. This cigar has a very
good heft to it in the hand. It's packed very well and has just that little bit of "give" that I like.

Prelight Draw: I'm getting flavors of pepper, light barnyard musk, and spice. I smelled the foot as well.
It was peppery, spicy, and the ligero gave me a pre-light Kick!

1st 3rd: I've recently started using a "Double Punch" (i.e. Large Ring Gauge Punch followed by a smaller one). So I double punched the Poderoso and lit the foot. I'm getting Smooth, Peppery, Toasty, Leathery, Woody flavors of Oak and Cedar. The burn is a little erratic. I taste flavors of leather, wood, & pepper on the back of the throat. Halfway into the first third, this cigar is already full bodied. It segues into cedar, leather and spice. The pepper has died down. This cigar is very smooth and is producing tons of smoke! The burn line is sharp after a minor correction.

2nd 3rd: As I puff this stogie, its almost as though I am feeling my neck expanding because of the smooth strength that is present. This cigar is very full flavored and full bodied. I can feel it down in my stomach! Cedar and toast are the prevalent flavors at this point. The ash is firm and now a little burnt caramel is mixing with the cedar. Great combo in my opinion. I'm getting pepper and cedar in my nose during the retrohale.

Final 3rd: The flavors of cedar, burnt caramel, coffee, and sweet tobacco intertwine on the finish. I can't think of a better combination that i've tasted in my 10 months of smoking... I really feel as though this cigar was almost too much for me! The next time I smoke one, i'm going to try the Peligroso in the 5X44 size vitola!

Great Job DE & JDN!!!

I might add that this stick is an ASS KICKER! My boy had to drive me home and we had a burrito before we smoked tonight! After I got home, i ate a turkey sandwich and drank some Yerba Mate Tea just to calm my stomach down! The nicotine kick from this stogie is out of this world!
Old 04-05-2010, 01:12 AM   #2
Tazziedevil
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Tazziedevil is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Joya De Nicaragua Dark Corojo Antano Poderoso

Holy crap. Sounds like a great smoke.

Thanks for the review
Posted via Mobile Device
Tazziedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:06 AM   #3
darkninja67

Nice review. This is a strong cigar. I did not get too much of a buzz but it was powerful.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

Great review! I like a cigar that will make my neck expand!

MCS
Old 04-05-2010, 07:16 AM   #5
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

Excellent review Excel; By far my favorite JdN and truly a strong cigar!

My favorite vitola for this line would be the Azarosa (4 1/2" x 52). I would still consider this the strongest cigar I've ever smoked.

Drew Estate President Steve Saka described this cigar as a "nicotine I.V. drip".

It uses 75% Ligero which can sometimes cause these cigars to burn erratically. Because of this, I would recommend dry-boxing before smoking and if you are trying to relight a part that is going out, do it away from your face! I had a friend try to relight half of the stick that had gone out and while puffing on it, this cigar created a fireball that nearly scorched his eyebrows off. It was hilarious and the flames didn't go out by simply blowing on it; it took a few tries.

Still a great cigar that I would consider box-worthy because they are damn good now and I think they have fantastic aging potential.
issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
thebiglebowski
Jack White's Roadie...

First Name: larry
Trading: (0)
Partagas
thebiglebowski is on a distinguished road

your boy had to drive you home... lol - that's classic. thanks for the review, i'm going to have to look for this cigar.
thebiglebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Smoked 2 so far, Corona size. First one had no flavor for the entire length. Second one was a bit better (2 weeks in dry box) with some flavor there in the second half, but still bland overall. Strength wise, medium at best to me. Will try larger RG to see what I am missing.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the review, Excel!!!
I haven't been a fan of JDN at all, they have their own taste. I'm not a fan of Tat's for much the same reason. I'll make a point to try this one out, because I haven't visited JDN's for a long time.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Great review Excel.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #10
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

I really like the corona size, but yeah, they don't really pick up till the second half.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:28 AM   #11
sofaman
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
sofaman is on a distinguished road

Great review this sounds like a stick I need to try
sofaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:43 AM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaman View Post
Great review this sounds like a stick I need to try
We'll probably get paralyzed, brother.