Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #3441
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: Photography Thread

Today while sitting with family in my grandfathers room at hospice, i was showing a couple pictures I had taken with my Canon Film SLR. My dad said he didnt even know film was still made. Turns out he has a nikon film slr and lenses that he said i could have. Score. Hopefully I'll get them tomorrow.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #3442
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark View Post
No expensive camera gear for me for now!
You are squeezing an awful lot out of that D90 right now.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:40 AM   #3443
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Dad couldn't find the body, just the lenses. He's gonna look for the body later. Busy day today, my grandfather passed at 0130
Old 01-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #3444
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Dad couldn't find the body, just the lenses. He's gonna look for the body later. Busy day today, my grandfather passed at 0130
Sorry to hear about your loss, but from what you had stated about his current condition,
this went about the only way it could have. He led a long life and died among those who
loved him. Far too many people get neither of those things.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:08 AM   #3445
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Sorry to hear about your loss, but from what you had stated about his current condition,
this went about the only way it could have. He led a long life and died among those who
loved him. Far too many people get neither of those things.

As far as the camera body, you at least know if you do not get a body out of the offer,
you can find a great old body for $40-50. Hope the lenses are great. Back in olden tymes,
men tended to buy the fastest lens they could get so as to look cool among their peers.
Hopefully your dad was a hopeless conformist, lol.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #3446
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Lol I know one of them was a pretty long telephoto. I'm sure it's MF since he said the gear is at least 20yrs old.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #3447
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry to hear about your loss, Justin.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #3448
OLS
Suck It

Well, Auto focus began in earnest in 1985-6, so there is still a chance. But MF lenses are still pretty cool,
my bag is lousy with em. The long ones can be a real handful, though. Keep us informed.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #3449
OLS
Suck It

Argh, I am going through it again. I want to buy a N90s, but every time I go through the arguments for and against,
I keep coming back to the fact that I am printing at home with good results, and I can't get past the fact that just to
PRINT a large copy of one of my film shots, I have to develop the film first. Takes all the fun out of it and puts a lot
of expense into the equation. I know some people will say, Takes the FUN out of it? Are you SERIOUS? It puts the
fun BACK IN!" But not to me. I used to have fun in the service, where we had access to a darkroom and enlarger, etc.
But to even think of any of that now is just crazy to me.

Being able to get an EXCELLENT film camera for under $50, and having all the lenses I need is a great feeling.
But it just seems insane to spend a lot of money on film and processing after the investment I have in printer
and paper stock. Sad, really. I think it would be cool.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:15 PM   #3450
OLS
Suck It

Ehhh, got a 50mm1.8 D Nikkor in today, and it had a grindy focus throw. It was 60 bucks, not cheap, but not bad
for this lens. It did not STATE that it was grindy, but I found it that way when I got it in. Generally, I would just
box it back up, spec the problem for them and get my money back. But I have wanted to disassemble one of these
for some time. So I did. Looks like it has been to Destin. Lots of bits of sugar white sand in there. It is in the
helicoids, so if I want to really fix it I am going to need to COMPLETELY disassemble it. Rather than take a $60 lens
and turn it into a pile of worthless bits and pieces, I went ahead and assembled it back to where I started. Got a lot
of grit out of it, but now the spot JUST before infinity is almost a dead stop, so I am gonna have to work out whether
or not I want to take it apart again later under better light with better eyeglasses. I have some lithium grease that I can
use on the helicoids, but man, I am not sure I want to go ALL THE WAY on this one.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #3451
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

You'd think that someone would be more careful to not get sand in there.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #3452
OLS
Suck It

I was kind of bummed to see it, but I could tell that when I moved the focus ring, it felt like sand for some reason.
In my brain's little eye, anyway. It focuses fine throughout it's range though, and it is already claimed by a guy
at work, so it all turned out well enough.

On my other rant, about FILM cameras, I forgot about a little something I have in a drawer. I need to see what
kind of shots spew forth from this old Argus C3 I picked up last year from my mother's 'everything must go' push
prior to her recent move. Not expecting much, but nostalgia and that it will expose film, hopefully only when I intend
for it to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Argus_C3.jpg (50.3 KB, 141 views)
Old 01-17-2014, 06:33 AM   #3453
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

FYI selling my Canon 40mm f/2.8 in the WTS section
Old 01-17-2014, 06:45 AM   #3454
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Oh and here's the newest addition(the light not the glock)

DSC00168 by emopunker2004, on Flickr
Old 01-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #3455
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Got that camera gear from my dad.

Nikon FG
Nikon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 28mm f/2.8
Sigma 70-300
Promaster Tele-Converter
1 roll of film that is at least 20yrs old. I'm gonna shoot it and have it developed anyway.
He also had 3 rolls of film that he had shot that i'll have developed for him.

DSC00202 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

DSC00203 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

DSC00204 by emopunker2004, on Flickr

DSC00205 by emopunker2004, on Flickr
Old 01-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #3456
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

I might have already asked this question, but as far as quality goes, how do the Sigma lenses stack up compared to brand name like Canon or Nikon?
Old 01-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #3457
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark View Post
I might have already asked this question, but as far as quality goes, how do the Sigma lenses stack up compared to brand name like Canon or Nikon?
It really varies. Tamron and sigma are usually good quality. Most of the time they aren't quite as good as the nikon canon but usually cheaper.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #3458
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Running the smoker today, started out pretty nice so I figured I snap a few pics.

Sun and clouds by Jeff Carroll01, on Flickr

Used the in-camera HDR function on the 6d, shots certainly don't have that tweaked look like processing HDR in PS etc, but for in-camera, not too bad.

In camera HDR by Jeff Carroll01, on Flickr
MrClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #3459
0002S
Alla En El Rancho Grande

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
0002S will become famous soon enough0002S will become famous soon enough

0002S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #3460
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Nice