Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 02-08-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold
Default Mouth & tongue feel scorched?

After smoking a bowl my mouth feels scorched, especially the next day.
I smoke from corn cob pipes.

What can I do to remove this feeling?

Thanks!
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
FullBodied

Default Re: Mouth & tongue feel scorched?

Could be several reasons. You are smoking to fast; you have the bowl packed to tight causing a hard draw and in turn your puffin quicker to keep it lit. Could be the quality of the pipe, corn cobs will do this until broken in and a crust built up for insulation. Could be the quality of tobac. Less expesive blends use a lot of non tobac filler. Try a good briar and a non flavored tobac if your new to pipes. Some flavored stuff will burn hot.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

As said above, slow down a little. I experienced this often when I first started smoking. At first I was afraid to let the pipe go out, so I smoked fast and hard. And it left my mouth and tongue jacked up. Smoke slow. If it goes out just relight. I found the slower the better at first, plus with different blends you will have to adjust your smoking speed. It's easier to speed up than slow down.
Also I find that tobacco that is overdried tends to smoke hot and bite some.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road

if you're new to pipes, you may just have to get use to them, they are a lot different in feel (and flavors) than cigars.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

remember my old adage

sippy sippy, no sucky sucky
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2010 View Post
remember my old adage

sippy sippy, no sucky sucky
unless your paying!!!
Old 02-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road

i puff pretty hard and rarely get tongue bit or any severe irritation anymore.
when i was getting back to smoking the pipe more than cigars, my tongue took a while to get use to the difference in the way the tobacco affected it.
it's one of the things i tell new pipe smokers ,that their tongue will feel pretty "tingly" after smoking, especially with VA blends.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

As an infrequent pipe smoker, this was one of the things that kept happening to me and causing me to shy away from pipes.

Solved the problem for the most part for me by varying the angle of the pipe in my mouth during the smoke and trying not to overheat it by drawing to hard or frequently.

My thought was the small orifice of the stem was concentrating the smoke on a small area of my tongue on the draw vs the larger diameter that the head of a cigar produces and the overheat my technique was producing compounded the effect.

Dunno if it was the slowing down or the movement, but it seems to help me.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #9
Root
Making Igloos

First Name: James
Trading: (0)
Root is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleF View Post
Time, give your tongue a rest and you may want to try biotene.
Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #10
Dgar

Quote:
After smoking a bowl my mouth feels scorched, especially the next day.
I smoke from corn cob pipes.

Thanks!

If your smoking a cob, pick up a pouch of Prince Albert, this is an over the counter blend you can pick up at most drug stores, its great blend in a cob (really)....It almost impoosible to get tounge bite smoking smoking this stuff.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Packing the pipe correctly and puffing slowly I like to do what I call the sip method - light sipping every 45 seconds or so. The best way to learn how to pack a pipe is to find a local pipe smoker to teach you. This will eliminate most tongue bite.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:43 AM   #12
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

I loaded a bowl yesterday and it took me an hour to smoke it. I lit and re-lit about 7 times. I let the bowl go out in between each light. Didn't do much for me. I'm pretty skittish about trying a pipe right now........just doesn't seem to like me.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #13
WWhermit

The pipe is not something that a person picks up and gets the hang of immediately. It takes time and patience.

Think of this, though. Look at this room. All of these people went through the same thing. None of us would be here if the end result was not worth the investment. It's a learning process.

It took me about a good month of having a pipe each day before one day I said "This is what pipe smoking is supposed to be!" Until then, I wondered why anyone would do it. It tasted like ash, hurt my tongue, frustrated me.

You'll get the hang of it, and from then on it's pure bliss, and a very fulfilling hobby.

Take the time to learn to fill a pipe correctly. A little on the loose side until you get it. It's easier to tamp down a loose bown than it is to loosen one that's too tight.

Sip slowly. Don't get hung up on the fact that you can't keep it lit. It's no big deal if you have to relight. It takes nothing away from the enjoyment for me if this happens.

Enjoy the time it takes. It's supposed to slow you down, take a break from the fast pace of life. Take a book with you, listen to a favorite CD.

You'll learn. It's worth the time. And if it gets to be nothing but frustration, put it down for a week or so, until you WANT to have a pipe. There should be no pressure here. This is about enjoyment.

WWhermit
Old 02-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #14
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWhermit View Post
The pipe is not something that a person picks up and gets the hang of immediately. It takes time and patience.

Think of this, though. Look at this room. All of these people went through the same thing. None of us would be here if the end result was not worth the investment. It's a learning process.

It took me about a good month of having a pipe each day before one day I said "This is what pipe smoking is supposed to be!" Until then, I wondered why anyone would do it. It tasted like ash, hurt my tongue, frustrated me.

You'll get the hang of it, and from then on it's pure bliss, and a very fulfilling hobby.

Take the time to learn to fill a pipe correctly. A little on the loose side until you get it. It's easier to tamp down a loose bown than it is to loosen one that's too tight.

Sip slowly. Don't get hung up on the fact that you can't keep it lit. It's no big deal if you have to relight. It takes nothing away from the enjoyment for me if this happens.

Enjoy the time it takes. It's supposed to slow you down, take a break from the fast pace of life. Take a book with you, listen to a favorite CD.

You'll learn. It's worth the time. And if it gets to be nothing but frustration, put it down for a week or so, until you WANT to have a pipe. There should be no pressure here. This is about enjoyment.

WWhermit

Moments away from donating my pipes and baccy to others, I read this.
Thanks bro. Really, thanks very much. I will take your advise very carefully.

And those comments and help is exactly what makes this place, THEE PLACE!!!!

Last edited by TripleF; 02-11-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #15
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

Hey Scott

Don't give up on the pipe yet..
It might just be a tobacco that you don't like or its too wet, or the bowl is filled wrong..etc, etc..

I like to sprinkle some of the tobacco on a small plate and let it air out/dry for maybe a hour or so before I load up a bowl and smoke it. It seems to burn a little easier so you can get the little sips without puffing hard to keep it burning and then cause "tongue bite".

Find a shop that has some bulk tobacco and buy some small samples to try.

Once you get it going right there are some great smokes out there..Davidoff Scottish Mixture...yum http://www.pipesandcigars.com/scotmix.html
Old 02-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #16
WWhermit

TripleF, what tobacco are you using? This could be a major source of frustration.

Many aromatics are simply too wet to smoke before a drying period. Virginias, to the non-experienced smoker, also tend to bite if not treated carefully.

May I suggest, as someone else has, a pouch of Prince Albert from your local drugstore. It's a basic burley, with a slight nutty flavor. Some say it's bland, but I'll tell you what, it's perfect for learning techinque.

Burleys often smoke cooler than most other types of tobacco. PA is one you can puff all day and it won't bite ya back.

Fill the pipe loosely to the top, use your tamper (or finger) to press ever so slightly, until you just start to feel some resistance. Fill it back up one more time.

Do your charring light, tamp LIGHTLY again. Do your true light and sit back. If you have a full draw on the pipe (you don't have to *suck in* with difficulty), you know it's not packed too tight. If it feels like you're not able to keep it lit, tamp just a bit more, then try. This way you'll get a feel for how "springy" the tobacco should feel in the pipe to keep it lit.

Sip slowly, just enough to draw the smoke through the pipe. Point the pipe so it doesn't shoot the smoke onto your tongue, angle it up just a bit. Once your tongue adjusts to the pipe, you'll find yourself aiming the smoke onto your tongue to capture the flavor. Technique is more important right now though.

Don't be afraid to dump the bowl out and start over if it's packed too tightly. PA is cheap, the bowl cost you around .20 cents.

I'm glad you didn't give up quite yet. Give us a progress report, sir, and let us know how we can help.

WWhermit
Old 02-18-2009, 05:25 PM   #17
Seneca77

Hey Scott!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the pipe, but looks like you're getting some great advice here. The keys to a bite-free smoke are in packing the pipe loosely at the bottom and tighter towards the top (gravity feed the tobacco into the bowl letting it fill up. Push down 'til it's about halfway up the bowl, gravity feed some more tobacco in, push down 'til it's about three quarters up the bowl, fill again, and tamp so it's firm). While you're filling it, take a quick draw (without lighting it) and see if it draws freely. If it does, keep going. If not, it's too tight.

Secondly, smoke s-l-o-w-l-y. As others have said here, it's meant to be enjoyed slowly. You've seen me nurse a good sized pipe all afternoon at the Tobacco Hut - no tongue bite for me!

Next time you're at Lou's, get an ounce or so of his Alaskan Gold. It's not an aromatic, but a mild English blend, burley based. The sugars in aromatic tobaccos can contribute to tongue bite, so perhaps while you're experimenting with packing and lighting techniques, stick to a non-aromatic.

I wrote a one-page website some time back called Pipe Smoking 101 which you may find helpful.

Good luck!

- Bob
Old 02-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #18
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneca77 View Post
Hey Scott!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the pipe, but looks like you're getting some great advice here. The keys to a bite-free smoke are in packing the pipe loosely at the bottom and tighter towards the top (gravity feed the tobacco into the bowl letting it fill up. Push down 'til it's about halfway up the bowl, gravity feed some more tobacco in, push down 'til it's about three quarters up the bowl, fill again, and tamp so it's firm). While you're filling it, take a quick draw (without lighting it) and see if it draws freely. If it does, keep going. If not, it's too tight.

Secondly, smoke s-l-o-w-l-y. As others have said here, it's meant to be enjoyed slowly. You've seen me nurse a good sized pipe all afternoon at the Tobacco Hut - no tongue bite for me!

Next time you're at Lou's, get an ounce or so of his Alaskan Gold. It's not an aromatic, but a mild English blend, burley based. The sugars in aromatic tobaccos can contribute to tongue bite, so perhaps while you're experimenting with packing and lighting techniques, stick to a non-aromatic.

I wrote a one-page website some time back called Pipe Smoking 101 which you may find helpful.

Good luck!

- Bob

Thanks for the info Bob!! Yes, the info here is very helpful!!

My past couple of pipes have been a little more pleasing and less scorching. I am sipping and trying to smoke slower, but haven't mastered the art of an all afternoon pipe brother. I think a better pipe would help the issue a bit, so I am trying to find a cost effective option.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #19
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
After smoking a bowl my mouth feels scorched . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
As an infrequent pipe smoker, this was one of the things that kept happening to me and causing me to shy away from pipes.

Solved the problem for the most part for me by varying the angle of the pipe in my mouth during the smoke and trying not to overheat it by drawing to hard or frequently. . . .

Try a Peterson "P-Lip" and see if that helps. The tip angles the draw smoke up and away from the tongue and helps reduce that bite/scorched feeling.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:27 AM   #20
dogsplayinpoker

The Hermit gives excellent advice. All I can add is moral support. I went a few years starting and giving up pipe smoking because I wasn't patient and had noone to get advice from. Keep at it... just slower and possible less frequently for a while.