Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 02-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #21
Sr Mike
As Is

Trading: (6)
Sr Mike has disabled reputation
Default Re: New Pipe Hobby (Pic Heavy)

The links Tyler posted are a good start, but you are missing pics of your pipes dude. All the supplies can be purchased from several places. Stems can be bought pre-made or as rods so one could shape them.

A lathe is used by many makers, it would cut down the time it takes to make a pipe by several hours. Being a hands on kind of person, I do not think there is much to be said about a lathe shaped pipe, I could probably pump out 4-5 pipes a week with my full time job if I had a lathe.

I would rather know that the maker puts as much sweat and blood, into the pipe I purchase from them, as I put into each pipe I make. I have no desire to purchase a pipe that is made on a lathe.

The churchwarden is actually rather lightweight, nothing like the straight pipe I am offering up in the contest, that one is really nice. I am thinking of making a churchwarden to sell next week. I am even willing to make a pipe custom for someone, as long as they are not too picky.
Sr Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #22
morefifemusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr Mike View Post
The links Tyler posted are a good start, but you are missing pics of your pipes dude.

A lathe is used by many makers, it would cut down the time it takes to make a pipe by several hours. Being a hands on kind of person, I do not think there is much to be said about a lathe shaped pipe, I could probably pump out 4-5 pipes a week with my full time job if I had a lathe.

I would rather know that the maker puts as much sweat and blood, into the pipe I purchase from them, as I put into each pipe I make. I have no desire to purchase a pipe that is made on a lathe.
I have not yet made any I am willing to post pictures of.

As far as a lathe goes, the part it is really handy for is shaping the tenons. It can also substitute for a drill press in drilling the tobac chamber. I prefer a disk sander for shaping the stummel.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #23
morefifemusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr Mike View Post

The other thought that crosses my mind is in regards to making pipes as a business.

If a pipe maker takes on average of 12 hours to make a pipe and sells for example a pipe like your plateau fan pipe for $175, he/she would make 14.50/hr. This does not include costs for materials, electricity, tool maintenance, etc. Take into account the economy tanking and things look even bleaker (think 9 to 10 bucks an hour). While these things may not matter to a hobbyist, they do matter to a professional pipe maker.

Not saying I am an aspiring one or trying to belittle your thoughts. I like your ideas philosophically; I am just trying to point out what I think to be a valid point.

-Tyler
Old 02-09-2009, 10:55 PM   #24
Sr Mike
As Is

Trading: (6)
Sr Mike has disabled reputation

I agree that the economy is going to hurt the pipe maker who does it full time. Of course for them it may only take half the time to carve one out because of experience and repetition. When all is said and done, the inventory they have built up, and the tools are already in place. They are going to come out on top with the pipe costing extremely little. Then again, it all depends on how well they took care of themselves financially.

As for the hobbiest, 12 hours over 7 days, that is only $0.96 an hour, or $175 a week, if it sells within a week. Say that fan of mine does not sell for three months then that is only $0.08 an hour.

Just a thought. Either way, my goal is to make pipes that people will enjoy. I am also going to sell them less than that fan, that one was a specific labor of love to carve.
Sr Mike is offline   Reply With Quote