Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #21
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough
Default Re: I Need A Little Help With A Handgun I'm Looking At.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
It's not the kick, it's the draw that I wonder about. I worry that it'd be awkward in an emergency, ya know?
That's a good point. It's going to be hard to know how you feel with it unless you go shoot it. One idea is to go into the store and see if they will let you draw it a few times and see how it feels.

If you really get into the tech specs there are better guns out there in that size category, but you are going to pay a much higher price for the quality/features. Say something like a Sig P238.

Sounds like Col. Kurtz has some first had experience with the weapon, so I would consider his comments. Especially if you really want this to be for self-defense. If you just want to go shoot cans with it, then that's a different story.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #22
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

A lot of the LEOs in my county carry these as a BUG. I personally don't like little guns, but that's a personal opinion. I had a Glock 27 which without the plus one extension on the magazine was little finger hanging off. I bought the extensions so that all fingers were on the grip and actually I shot the gun better without them which was the exact opposite result as most people get. As for me I carry a S&W E series full size 1911. Lot's of folks won't carry one because they think it's too hard to hide and it's simple not true. I have a holster from a Company in Jacksonville, Panther Concealment. It's an IWB and with that holster I can carry the 45 all day with no discomfort and usually just wear an x-large tshirt. I learned a long time ago that carrying requires some wardrobe adjustments. I usually buy my jeans 2 inches bigger than I wear to allow for the gun and one size bigger shirts than I fit into. Personally I don't feel comfortable carrying a small caliber gun, unless it's a BUG. But that's just me prolly.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #23
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

How about a Charter Arms .44 Bulldog Scott? Nothing wrong with a wheelgun...

Here's a couple of reviews:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ulldog-review/

http://www.tactical-life.com/combat-...bulldog-44spl/
Old 12-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #24
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

It's easily concealable but the trigger on the LCP and LC9 are garbage IMO. After firing about 50rds it'll start hurting your trigger finger. I have a problem with this because in order to become proficient with your carry gun you need to train with it. If I can't shoot it much because it hurts then it's a no go for me.

I'd go with sometime along the lines of a Kahr CM9/PM9, S&W Shield, Beretta Nano. not much bigger and still pocketable, better round, better triggers.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #25
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

I just prefer to have the same caliber for my BUG as I do for my primary. For me, it' .40 all the way. .40 is really barky with small frame/grip guns, though. So, any BUG I carry is going to be no smaller than a commander sized .45.

I don't mean to try to make this into a caliber preference battle. That is not my intention. If someone feels comfy carrying .32, .380, 9MM, etc. I say more power to em. Bottom line, no one wants to be shot with anything. You pump enough .22LR out of a Walther PPX into someone, they're going to think twice about pressing the attack.

I love the saying, "Two is one, One is none and Three is even better."
Old 12-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #26
bigdaddy003587
Just in from the Storm

First Name: bruce
Trading: (0)
bigdaddy003587 is on a distinguished road

my big hands cant go for a small frame. i need my taurus pt945 or my ruger p85.
bigdaddy003587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #27
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

My buddy had that gun, the LCP. I bought the LC9 and would buy it again. I like the LC9. Small to carry, no draw issues for me. Had fits on it, all of it. Only think I do not like is the 7rd mag. When shooting at the range and whatnot, it just goes so fast.

The price is prolly good for the LCP. Where I am 360 for a new LC9, no laser. I am mixed on the laser. I really want one but was told a few things.

A laser will also show where you are hiding, in the event you use it for protection at night. Also, people might tend to use the laser to help them aim. What do you do in the day time, sunlight, if you had to use it.

Bit of a size comparison for you. There are plenty of other small guns for CCW. If I were to decided again and only be between the LCP and LC9, LC9 hands down wins again.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #28
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
It's easily concealable but the trigger on the LCP and LC9 are garbage IMO. After firing about 50rds it'll start hurting your trigger finger.
The LCP is easily modified, trigger-wise.
There are two springs. One can just be removed altogether, and the other replaced with the spring from a pen. The mod is supposed to dramatically change the trigger pull. There's also a trigger action mod. A plate can be replaced and it shortens the trigger stroke and the trigger takeup.
I guess there's a very long trigger reset on that gun that makes firing consecutive shots awkward, relatively slow, and clumsy.
It's not likely I'll do any mods at all. I'll use it more than enough to become proficient and I highly doubt I'll carry it anyways.
I like to have my ccw permit "just in case". I've had one for years and have never carried a gun on my person except for hunting or at the range. With kids around the house, the downside is too great to have guns within reach, so they're always in the safe or disabled and the parts or ammo are in the safe.
It's always concerned me that I can't get at a gun when I need one, but I'd rather take that chance than have shot-up kids, ya know?
In a short time the kids will be grown up and gone. Then I can sleep with my 9mm under my pillow.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #29
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Scott. Ever thought of getting a small handgun safe with the 4 button combo on top to open it?
Old 12-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #30
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Scott. Ever thought of getting a small handgun safe with the 4 button combo on top to open it?
Yup. Thought of all kinds of stuff.
My safe has a five button combo and the guns are ready to go if needed.
I'd far rather one under my pillow and one on my nightstand, but as a compromise I lock the bedroom door and count on the dog for a warning.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #31
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
The LCP is easily modified, trigger-wise.
There are two springs. One can just be removed altogether, and the other replaced with the spring from a pen. The mod is supposed to dramatically change the trigger pull. There's also a trigger action mod. A plate can be replaced and it shortens the trigger stroke and the trigger takeup.
I guess there's a very long trigger reset on that gun that makes firing consecutive shots awkward, relatively slow, and clumsy.
It's not likely I'll do any mods at all. I'll use it more than enough to become proficient and I highly doubt I'll carry it anyways.
I like to have my ccw permit "just in case". I've had one for years and have never carried a gun on my person except for hunting or at the range. With kids around the house, the downside is too great to have guns within reach, so they're always in the safe or disabled and the parts or ammo are in the safe.
It's always concerned me that I can't get at a gun when I need one, but I'd rather take that chance than have shot-up kids, ya know?
In a short time the kids will be grown up and gone. Then I can sleep with my 9mm under my pillow.
If this is a carry gun, and in the horrible event you should have to use it, even with a "good" shoot, you don't want the prosecution finding you have modified it, (and these days, criminals familys try to crucify the good guys with increasing regularity) much less with crazy sounding common household parts.
You wouldn't want the jury looking at your weapon as a "hyper efficient killing machine" a la a highly customized 1911 replete with Zombie grips and engravings saying "the Wicked Must Die" any more than you would want that jury thinking you are a lead paint chip licking redneck (which you certainly are not, don't get me wrong) who decided to "Pimp out mah backup piece in case there wuz any scumbags that needed shootin' " without the "proper" gunsmithing (yeah, I know.....) having happened. For me, after a conversation or two with permit instructors and guys that were a lot smarter than me, a bone stock as possible defense arm would raise the fewest hackles on someone judging you, even indirectly.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #32
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

That's a very good point, Pete. One I intend to heed.
Thanks, brother!!!
Old 12-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #33
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

My main complaint with the .380 round is that it doesn't have a whole lot of power behind it, if you're going to use that weapon for CC. IMHO
Old 12-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #34
Robulous78

My dad has this exact pistol, and while its small, I have had no problems shooting it without the extended mag... If you wanted to get it I'm sure it would be a nice addition, but I wouldn't say its needed...
Old 12-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #35
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Bulkammo.com has a lot of .380, 9mm and others in stock. Prices still aren't the best, but they have it.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #36
the jiggler
¡taste my pirate paddy!

First Name: Craig
Trading: (24)
the jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura about

FWIW I carry the Ruger LCR in 38 and love it. Trigger is smooth and after carrying a G23 for years the weight can't be beat. Loaded it seems like it weighs a little more than my phone. Felt recoil is a little snappy. Can't imagine the 357...

Glad we have them, hope we never need them.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #37
MUNKY
Resident Pig Hunter

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (19)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
MUNKY will become famous soon enoughMUNKY will become famous soon enough

Found this for you!
http://youtu.be/cn2dsDIaFWw

JKJK, I used to carry the 380 as my cc, then I just started carrying my regular, it takes some getting used to, to keep concealed but I feel way more comfortable now with her.

Last edited by MUNKY; 12-06-2013 at 08:59 PM.
MUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #38
wiskerbiscuit
heavily medicated

First Name: James
wiskerbiscuit is on a distinguished road

I've got large hands and was severely thrown off with my G27, until i did the +2 w/pinky extension. I'm not a big fan of anything under a .40 S&W, but the ease of concealability of the smaller caliber guns are hard to pass up.
wiskerbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #39
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Just catching this thread - there is nothing wrong with a .380. I remember reading somewhere that it was John Dillinger's caliber of choice. I carried a Sig 232 for years, .380, fixed barrel, de-honed, grips fit large hands and weighed in around 20 ounces. Loved that little gun - hide it damn near anywhere.

Sold it though to my Dad who really wanted it - so suffice to say I'll eventually get it back. But as a replacement I picked up the Sig 239 (357Sig) that is just slightly larger. Went with it due to the fact that, it felt really good in my hand and by simply changing the barrel/clip and I can go from 9mm to 357Sig to 40SW in less than a minute. So I carry it in 357Sig and I practice with it in 40SW cause they are a lot cheaper rounds. And I bought it used although it was hard to detect that it had ever been fired.

Also - on the subject of permits - see if someone local has classes for a Utah CCW - they do around here. Having one of those will get you over half the states in the US to include Ohio. I haven't gotten mine, yet, but I know that Dave (N3nuka) has his.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:34 AM   #40
ChicagoWhiteSox

380 is not a round I'd carry ever. These days, you can get something in 9mm in almost the same package as a small 380. I'd really look into 9mm, 40 or bigger and faster Scott