Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #3601
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsauce13 View Post
Oh wow, thanks for the tip! I think I will do that! They look really nice, although maybe a bit out of my price range.

I went with the 380 semi-auto. Loved the size and feel of it.
Don't worry about the $100+ prices on the website, his prices are actually quite reasonable - for the basic slimline that I got my two holsters in, I think I paid ~$60 each at the show. And he stands behind his work, if it's not comfortable or working for you, take it back and he'll fix it on the spot.

(NOTE: this post ended up being a little longer than intended, but I think you'll see from my story why I think it's worth saying!)

Before that, I had tried a Remora holster for my Diamondback DB9 (tiny 9mm, just a hair bigger than your S&W). It was inexpensive, and fit in my waist fantastic, infinitely adjustable, could be put anywhere, held the gun well, etc etc... I loved it.

There was just one problem - it held the gun TOO WELL. Yeah, under controlled draw and presentation practice, it wasn't an issue. BUT I discovered that in a "frenetic" draw, quick, unexpected, with my heart rate up, there was a significant chance of me pulling the trigger while drawing it. Fortunately this was practice, and no round in the chamber. But it happened on more than one occasion. And that was the last time I used that holster!

The reason being that most inexpensive holsters holds the gun in by simple pressure of your belt, and since the size of the grip on a compact .380 is relatively small, it is held in so tight so that you just naturally grab for "a little too much" in your effort to get it out. I grew up around guns, owned them all of my life, I am NOT in the habit of putting my finger on the trigger before I'm ready to fire. BUT IT STILL HAPPENED TO ME!!!

So what am I trying to say? eh, just a point of first hand advice learned the hard way really, whatever holster you choose, practice the hell out of it. Do it under simulated stressful conditions. Sprint 10 feet, then quickly try to present your gun. Don't "pre-think" the presentation beforehand, just do it. Do it a few hundred times, see what happens.

Do it while the gun is cocked, so you know if you $#^$@ it up. And do it WITHOUT a round in the chamber, so you don't shoot your kneecap off if you do @#$#@ it up! I'm glad I figured it out with an unloaded gun in practice, and not a loaded gun when my life depended on it.

and that's the really long version of why I recommend spending AT LEAST $50+ on your holster. Whether it be kydex or leather or a hybrid, and where it's purchased, doesn't really matter, just that it's GOOD, and you practice a lot with it under stress. I think it's even more important for the smaller guns due to the firing problem outlined above, and because it is an often overlooked and superbly critical part of the effectiveness (or complete failure) of your gun should you ever need it

Just my
Old 12-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #3602
macsauce13
Have My Own Room

First Name: McKenzie
Trading: (38)
macsauce13 has a spectacular aura aboutmacsauce13 has a spectacular aura about

Excellent post. Thanks for sharing that insight. It is very good advice. One of the reasons I chose this .380 was the click safety. As Im sure you know, a lot of these weapons don't have the dedicated safety, but being relatively new to firearms I wanted the extra safety mechanism.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #3603
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Is that a Krink with a happy switch?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #3604
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Excellent post. Thanks for sharing that insight. It is very good advice. One of the reasons I chose this .380 was the click safety. As Im sure you know, a lot of these weapons don't have the dedicated safety, but being relatively new to firearms I wanted the extra safety mechanism.
Safety vs. No Safety is a personal pref. If you dont put your finger on the trigger it wont go bang when you dont want it to.

Personally i prefer no manual safety as it's one extra step to worry about if you ever have to pull it and use it, fine motor-skill loss and all. Now I just have to wait for my Kahr to ship and get here
Old 12-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #3605
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
I understand where you are coming from there. I used to have the choice of carrying a 1911 or a Glock, and I unquestionably chose the 1911 because it had the safety (and I just love to shoot 1911's). I wasn't new to firearms, but I was new to carrying them concealed, and the idea of carrying a cocked and ready to go gun, without a safety, was... concerning, to say the very least. (such a heavy gun though, hard to carry in many situations)

In hindsight, the safety has the potential to be LESS helpful for beginners, because it's "one more thing" to remember to do in a panicked moment. And sometimes while you're learning fundamentals with a gun that has a safety, it can instill a misguided sense of confidence in the safety "being there for you", which can lead to the development of some bad shooting and handling habits if you're not mindful of that while learning (I wasn't!).

And that's not to say that safety's are bad. just, be aware of their limitations. Any habits and methods of handling and using a gun that work with a safety should work with a gun that doesn't have one. And if it doesn't, that's a red flag! And I totally understand wanting to carry one with a safety, I did it for years for that exact reason!

Now I'm NOT a firearms instructor, nor am I very knowledgeable. I'm just a guy that's learned a few things the hard way and has had to kick a few of those bad habits I picked up early on

dammit, THIS is why I don't have a twitter account. I am flat out incapable of typing out an idea in less than 1000 characters. 140? hah! I can't do it!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #3606
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
.... fine motor-skill loss and all. Now I just have to wait for my Kahr to ship and get here
I really want to find a place out here where I can try setting up a basic "Run n Gun", just to practice shooting with an elevated heartrate, changing situation, etc.

In OTHER news, just saw this guy over at Bud's. For $200, looks like a good way to enjoy the feel of a 1911 without the ammo price tag... I'm temped! I'm also eying an M&P 15-22 for the same reason....

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...red+Wood+Grips
Old 12-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #3607
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Francis your best bet would be to start shooting IDPA or ISPC or 3-gun. You could do excercise and then shoot and then exercise but physical stress isnt quite as good as psychological stress when it comes to that. But the shooting sports would be good cuz you would experience psychological stress.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:05 AM   #3608
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Francis your best bet would be to start shooting IDPA or ISPC or 3-gun. You could do excercise and then shoot and then exercise but physical stress isnt quite as good as psychological stress when it comes to that. But the shooting sports would be good cuz you would experience psychological stress.
Yeah, I'll probably get into whichever is closest to me when I get back from Venezuela next year.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:34 AM   #3609
0002S
Alla En El Rancho Grande

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
0002S will become famous soon enough0002S will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Is that a Krink with a happy switch?
No post 86
Old 12-27-2012, 03:39 AM   #3610
0002S
Alla En El Rancho Grande

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
0002S will become famous soon enough0002S will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Was this a kit or complete assembly? Looks great.

May make me reconsider adding one of these if it can be done in a kit.
It was originally a kit from a factiry 5.56
Old 12-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #3611
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

mmmm... just found a Hungarian AK clone for $599.... with things they way they are these days, that might be hard to pass up........

(always figured I'd get an AK "someday", give me an excuse to sell the SKS)

Last edited by spectrrr; 12-27-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #3612
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I think I've decided on getting a 40 S&W and want to get something with a manual safety as well. Wanting to stay under $500...can you think of any particular makes/models that I should look into?
Old 12-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #3613
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Can't really offer any advice in that department. The only 40 I've shot was my old Glock 23. It was a good gun, but not quite my speed. Ended up selling it. Still got the ammo for it, but have yet to pick up another 40 cal pistol. Seems like a good round though.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #3614
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
I think I've decided on getting a 40 S&W and want to get something with a manual safety as well. Wanting to stay under $500...can you think of any particular makes/models that I should look into?
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
Can't really offer any advice in that department. The only 40 I've shot was my old Glock 23. It was a good gun, but not quite my speed. Ended up selling it. Still got the ammo for it, but have yet to pick up another 40 cal pistol. Seems like a good round though.
Similar here.
I shot the 22, 23, 27 and 35 before decided on 21.
I too have .40 cal ammo for a gun I don't have anticipating I will.

When purchasing a gun, aside from shooting it to see if what cut out to be, one also has to consider availability of ammo at times of anarchy, or high demand as now. A .40 won't be easy as a 9 or 45.

I went to a gun show a few months ago looking at the Berretta Storm, XD, Glock 27 and forget what two others, all in .40. Swore that is what I wanted. Ended up walking out with a S&W Shield in 9 mm.

That said, if .40 is a must, for $449, if you are patient and lucky enough to find one, there will be no finer gun for concealed carry in that caliber than the S&W Shield.

Any big boy quality .40 is over that price. I'll probably end up with a Sig. 40 and a Shield.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #3615
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

This is my dream .40.
It will set one back a grand but boy ain't she purty.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/50921
Old 12-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #3616
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Similar here.
When purchasing a gun, aside from shooting it to see if what cut out to be, one also has to consider availability of ammo at times of anarchy, or high demand as now. A .40 won't be easy as a 9 or 45.
....there will be no finer gun for concealed carry in that caliber than the S&W Shield.
I have heard good things about those Shields..

Same here on the caliber considerations. I guess that's why I don't have a 40 gun right now. I tried to streamline the ammo stocks. 9mm was a given. .45 was a given (for me)... and .40 became the completely competent but odd man out...
Old 12-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #3617
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
This is my dream .40.
It will set one back a grand but boy ain't she purty.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/50921
yep, that sure is a pretty looking gun.

Want to see the single most gorgeous rifle I think I've ever laid eyes on? I'm just a little short on the cash or I'd buy it up in a heartbeat

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=322196026

Old 12-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #3618
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
yep, that sure is a pretty looking gun.

Want to see the single most gorgeous rifle I think I've ever laid eyes on? I'm just a little short on the cash or I'd buy it up in a heartbeat

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=322196026

WOW!!!!!!!

That is amazing work.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #3619
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Here is the Shield in 9.
The .40 is identical with difference being one less round in mag capacity.
As you can see, manual safety, engaged, just above the back part of my thumb, easily deactivated as you draw.
Best part, less than an inch thick.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #3620
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

That said, if .40 is a must, for $449, if you are patient and lucky enough to find one, there will be no finer gun for concealed carry in that caliber than the S&W Shield.
Looking into this and maybe I'm getting more $ than I anticipated, but I guess I'd rather be spending more money up front to get something I know I'll be happy with from the get go than buying something I know I'll regret and need to sell to buy another. If that exceeds the $500 figure, so be it.

I'm wanting something that isn't compact and will fit nicely in my entire hand with the grip. Obviously that rules out a compact and most likely a subcompact I believe. I'm also thinking I'd like a 4" barrel for improved accuracy. Then again, I may find out that what I think I want isn't possible to conceal and may far exceed what I was hoping to spend.

I know the thing to do is get my butt in a shop and get a feel for them myself, but I want to at least have some sort of idea of what to ask for in terms of makes/models that will fit what I'm looking for.

Seems like the Springfield XD's offer some stuff I can find on armslist available in .40S&W that has a 4" barrel and has a grip safety that can be had in my desired price range.
Closed Thread