Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 12-24-2020, 08:40 AM   #2521
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
Only the schmanciest

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #2522
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledou View Post
Picked up a bottle of Noah's Mill yesterday to try, tonight it is either that or OF 1920. The other will be for tomorrow.
That's what I'll be enjoying tonight.
Old 12-25-2020, 08:44 AM   #2523
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Steph - I mean Santa - hit up the B&M for a couple of the owner's barrel selects, plus a Heaven's Door bourbon-rye blend.

Old 12-25-2020, 09:41 AM   #2524
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Nice gifts, James, curious to hear about the Barrel.

Speaking of gifts, an outrageous one showed up on my porch yesterday. It's the oldest bottle of Booker's I have yet to open, but I figured it's a Christmas gift, I need to open it for Christmas. It's outstanding. Cheers and heartfelt thanks to my "Secret Santa".

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 12-30-2020, 08:44 AM   #2525
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Did the Noah's Mill for Christmas Eve, solid but the 1920 for Christmas evening was a step above.

Good news out of Kentucky this week that looks like it will allow shipping bourbon to other states...of course Kansas is not one that allows spirits to be shipped but maybe that will change in time. I am sure the first few release of Kentucky only bottlings that ship will go quickly.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:47 AM   #2526
The camaro show
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Chayse
Trading: (1)
VR
The camaro show will become famous soon enough

Picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig small batch 94 yesterday.
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:18 PM   #2527
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Trading: (20)
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Last Pour of 2020, first time ever (possibly only) drinking Stagg Jr I scored in a trade from Tom, this bourbon lived up to hype. Long delicious finish! Thanks Tom and looking forward to trying the other samples when the times right!!
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:45 AM   #2528
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post

Last Pour of 2020, first time ever (possibly only) drinking Stagg Jr I scored in a trade from Tom, this bourbon lived up to hype. Long delicious finish! Thanks Tom and looking forward to trying the other samples when the times right!!
So glad you enjoyed it, Gabe! On a related note, I smoked the Robusto T you sent me and it was easily one of my Top 3 cigars of 2020.

Here was my first pour of 2021. A real bottle killer...

Old 01-02-2021, 08:47 AM   #2529
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Wow top 3!! Glad you are enjoying everything. As for the EC C920 I’ve been searching high and low for it and finally found it in NJ but they slapped a $90 price tag on, in PA state liquor stores it’s $65 but impossible to find. Was I smart to pass or should I have pulled out the credit card?
Old 01-02-2021, 10:19 AM   #2530
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Wow top 3!! Glad you are enjoying everything. As for the EC C920 I’ve been searching high and low for it and finally found it in NJ but they slapped a $90 price tag on, in PA state liquor stores it’s $65 but impossible to find. Was I smart to pass or should I have pulled out the credit card?
I haven't paid more than $69, Gabe, I've lucked into it at stores that don't mark it up much. I'd offer to grab you one if I see one, but not sure if it would make sense with shipping costs of around $15. If I find one at $59 (rather than $69 or higher) again I will grab it. Yours if you want it, if not I never mind having a backup.

These Knob Creek 9 year SiB picks at Binny's have been a steal at $49. So good,,, sure, I prefer the 15 year ones, but those are tougher and tougher to find.

Old 01-11-2021, 07:20 PM   #2531
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

Picked up some essentials today, couldn’t find a full bottle of 101 so I went with a half, they really couldn’t put it in glass?
Old 01-11-2021, 09:17 PM   #2532
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Quote:

Picked up some essentials today, couldn’t find a full bottle of 101 so I went with a half, they really couldn’t put it in glass?
Nice grabs! I just finished a bottle of the OF 1920 three days ago and need to get another one. I really enjoyed it which I found funny because I don't care for the "regular" OF at all.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:49 AM   #2533
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Nice pickups Gabe! I don't care what type of container that 101 is in I love the stuff

Tom how was the C920? One of my groups did a "vote your top 3 of 2020" game and A120 came in as the most common answer, I looked around and realized that I had one sealed bottle and apparently hadn't tried it (I do a bad job of keeping track of what's open). I found a guy with an extra for $75 that I'm picking up today, so I cracked the A120 last night and holy crap that's good. Followed it up with a pour of B519 and they are night and day different bourbons. I might need to see what other ones I have open and do a bigger flight
Old 01-12-2021, 08:44 AM   #2534
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
Nice pickups Gabe! I don't care what type of container that 101 is in I love the stuff

Tom how was the C920? One of my groups did a "vote your top 3 of 2020" game and A120 came in as the most common answer, I looked around and realized that I had one sealed bottle and apparently hadn't tried it (I do a bad job of keeping track of what's open). I found a guy with an extra for $75 that I'm picking up today, so I cracked the A120 last night and holy crap that's good. Followed it up with a pour of B519 and they are night and day different bourbons. I might need to see what other ones I have open and do a bigger flight
I think that A120 has been my favorite of the 2020 batches, Ben, but I must say C920 was close. Neither touch the C919 for me, but they're all so good.

That B519 just didn't do it for me after trying the higher proof stuff. Had a second B519 that I flipped for an A117 that's pure pepper. Yet I still prefer it to the B519.

Old 01-12-2021, 12:03 PM   #2535
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

These Knob Creek 9 year SiB picks at Binny's have been a steal at $49. So good,,, sure, I prefer the 15 year ones, but those are tougher and tougher to find.

That's a nice drink right there...
Old 01-12-2021, 02:00 PM   #2536
gorob23
Brother of the Leaf

First Name: Rob
Trading: (0)
gorob23 has disabled reputation

Ok my pen ran out of ink... Schools done for the day

Rob

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

"Snow Globe"

I miss light switch
gorob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:57 AM   #2537
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

Nobody drinking this winter? Technically not Bourbon but...This was Monday night our first big snowfall here in Philly area, so I thought it fitting to try this sample of Midwinter Nights Dram I’ve bargained for, and holy sh*t this is the best whiskey I’ve probably ever tasted, I LOVE port wine and the port flavor presents itself on the finish quite perfectly. Thank you so much Tom absolutely incredible! Out of curiosity what’s the proof? I imagine in the 100 ballpark but went down like 80!!
Old 02-05-2021, 09:05 AM   #2538
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Glad you enjoyed it, Gabe, it's the only finished whiskey I enjoy. The Chapter 7 Verse 5 is 98.6 proof, no wonder it agrees with the human body.

From "The Whiskey Wash":

Quote:
It’s a seasonal release blend of rye whiskies: We’re now up to Act 7, Scene 5. This mash bill is described as a blend of straight ryes, broken down even more as 95% rye, 5% barley malt from MGP, and 80% rye. 20% malted rye from High West Distillery (HWD). They don’t specify the ratio. It’s aged for six years in both Port and French Oak barrels and isn’t chill-filtered or carbon-treated.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:06 AM   #2539
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Some 15 year 7 month Whistlepig SiB store pick last night with my Punch Punch.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:17 AM   #2540
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Nobody drinking this winter? Technically not Bourbon but...This was Monday night our first big snowfall here in Philly area, so I thought it fitting to try this sample of Midwinter Nights Dram I’ve bargained for, and holy sh*t this is the best whiskey I’ve probably ever tasted, I LOVE port wine and the port flavor presents itself on the finish quite perfectly. Thank you so much Tom absolutely incredible! Out of curiosity what’s the proof? I imagine in the 100 ballpark but went down like 80!!
Our resident bourbon hog gave me some of that as well last year, I really enjoyed it too. I don't normally go for the finished whiskeys but some of them really shine through

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Some 15 year 7 month Whistlepig SiB store pick last night with my Punch Punch.
Love it when two good things go well together

I have a hunch that stores are going to be getting one more wave of high age WP10's on the shelf very soon, after that it will be a while before we see them again. If you see any WP10 picks being put out in the next month or two it's worth asking to see if they know the age