Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 09-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

First Name: James
Trading: (2)
WaRevo is on a distinguished road
Default Your Meerschaum

Today while I was smoking some Mac Baren The Cube Silver I was thinking about my pipe, I bought it when it was WHITE....... One of the Options you have when you buy a Meerschaum pipe is to have it colored. I wanted to have mine done by smoking it. My PIPE is a little Different then other Meerschaum pipes. This one is an IMP, I have been smoking it for about 6 years now and love how the color is starting it turn down at the shank. I thought by now it would have colored more. one of the things I like about this pipe is the 925 Silver ring it has around the bowl. If it was just a Meer the ring would be black, It has been but I can clean it off and keep it looking new. There were other IMP pipes that had the Silver between the Shank and Stem but liked this one way better.

Tell me about your PIPE How long you smoked it for the color it is today. Would love to see pictures of your Meerschaum Pipe and a little history behind it.

James
WaRevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Your Meerschaum

Do you have a side profile picture of that pipe?

I have 2 IMPs a XXL Bulldog, and a lattice carved dublin.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

Hello Derrick, this is the only one I have smoked enough to get some color out of lol. Anyway here is a couple of pictures that I just took one of each side of the pipe.

In this picture there is a mark where the wax was scraped off and has colored there. Also looking at the Pictures I can't see with my eyes but are some hair looking things I don't even know what that could be but will have to check it out. It isn't cracks must be some fibers inbeded in the wax from a pipe cleaner cause it isn't on the surface.

James.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

I have about six, have not yet smoked any, but the simple fact that they are sitting in my "cigar" room is causing them to turn very slightly brown in color!
Old 09-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

I keep mine in the cases they came with when i bought them. So all the others are still white besides around the rim of the pipe. It is always the first place they color first. Most times the rim is the darkest part of the Meer. My friend has one that he has smoked for over 15 years that has some very nice colors. He said only thing he would change is having a Silver rim. It is very very dark and says it is only part of the whole pipe he isn't to happy about. But I like it.

Lets see some Pictures if you like

James
Old 09-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
OnePyroTec
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Wayne
Cohiba
OnePyroTec will become famous soon enough

I don't smoke my meers enough to get a lot of coloring. They do show signs, but the strange one is the Cevher figural that was colored when made and now in places where the pipe is thinner (because of the carving) the coloring is getting lighter. My guess is the heat.

My P.O.S. storient pipe, yes, P.O.S.! had purple stripes after customs did the chemical test to it...most of the purple has gone away and I'm positive that is from the heat.
OnePyroTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:49 AM   #7
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

this Meerschaum is about 2 years old now. I smoke it way less then I should if I want to get it to color. but right now smoking it only 1 to 2 times a week. I am going to get some different tobacco to smoke in it that I am sure will help with coloring it. My wife and and go to different stores looking for new and used pipe all the time. The other day we went into a Pawnshop looking for a new Video camera because mine just went bad and want to keep with what we have already loads of recordings from. Anyway while there my wife was come look at this, Showed me 2 Meerschaum pipes..... I was like UMMMMM NO. Sure they were unsmoked. However i am sorry they are not a Pipe retailer and i wasn't about to buy from them at almost 100 above what I can get it from a online place I have saved to buy pipes from if and when I get the need.... I know they are all not the same. in fact I have 2 that i want to buy that are from the same carver almost the same but the pipe in the mouth is on different side. There is a reason and one day i will explain LOL. I am not sure if this picture will show up right because I uploaded it to Flickr and I don't use it enough to know if this is right or not LOL..

Lets see some of your Meerschaums
James

Last edited by WaRevo; 09-12-2014 at 02:55 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

What are some good brands for meerschaums?
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #9
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

For me it is hard to say what is a good Brand. What is a good Meerschaum? That is a question that is easier to answer. In all Meerschaum pipes there are Block and Non block. When I look for a meerschaum pipe I only care that it is a Full Block. There is a website that I feel is good and offer one of the best replacement if needed. Also they sale what the pipe is on the site. Meaning what you see is what you get. Also best Meer come from the Depths in Turkey, They go down like you would under the sea with some type of Air help. Then mine the meer of best quality Then the carvers carve the pipe most times with knife little to no machines are used. They Wax them and can even wax them with colors to aid in the color of your pipe from the start. I like to color mine with smoking... In most cases the stems are the stems you will get. So find one you like with the stem you like because in most cases it is only option. Hope this helps some

James

PS. Also for name brands. there are the CAO, Dunhills, Petersen's and Paykoc to name a few that have Block Meer pipes
Old 09-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #10
OnePyroTec
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Wayne
Cohiba
OnePyroTec will become famous soon enough

The BEST Meer I have is a BAKI. Next is a Cevher, then my African Meer (forget maker), then a no name, worst is the one from Storient. Besides the drama from Yavuz the stem fits like crap and wiggles.
OnePyroTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #11
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

I'll have to check some of those brands. I decided to smoke my cobs yesterday and remember why I keep going back to cigars. Although I've got the bowl packing part down better (I've had the most success using the "frank method"), my tongue still ends up suffering quite a bit. No matter how hard I try to "sip" and go slow, my tongue gets cranky. Although I did smoke several bowls throughout the day, ranging from aromatic to VaPer blends. I tried drying the tobacco out a bit too, to reduce the steam. I'm not sure if it's a PH thing, or the heat/steam, but it doesn't seem to bother me much while I'm smoking, only after. My tongue feels pretty raw today. In the past I've definitely overdone it where I went too fast and felt it burn my tongue, but this time it wasn't apparent to me until I went to brush my teeth and gurgled mouthwash. OUCH!
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote