Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 06-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
Huskysibe
Chief!!!!!!!!!!!!

First Name: Billy
Trading: (9)
LFdC Navy (Active)
Huskysibe will become famous soon enough
Default Pipes

Whats the general consensus on Meershaums? I think they look great and have wanted one but thought I would ask the experts. I have a Savanelli Churchwarden but want something shorter that I can take to Afghanistan with me and not worry about a big long stem getting broken. Any other pipes I should be on the lookout for that can be had fairly inexpensive and quickly? I have to leave real soon. Thanks!

Billy
Old 06-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pipes

I have one meershaum and it smokes awesome. Plus, the carrying case they come in is fairly protective, which would be a better option if you're taking it to Afghanistan. (Thank you for your service by the way!)
Old 06-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
Demented

Meerschaum pipes are fragile, getting dropped, bagged around or rough handling can spell the end for these pipes. If it’s likely that you’ll have to set it down or get up and go in a hurry, it mightn’t be the best choice. Personally, I’d choose an inexpensive briar or corncob pipe if rough handling is likely or smoking could be unexpectedly interrupted.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
imthegoal
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Brian
Trading: (4)
LGC Army (Active)
imthegoal will become famous soon enough

I hav eone of club pipe I had made last year and my meer being sent to me in the mail as we speak. I cant wait till they get here.
imthegoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskysibe View Post
Whats the general consensus on Meershaums? I think they look great and have wanted one but thought I would ask the experts. I have a Savanelli Churchwarden but want something shorter that I can take to Afghanistan with me and not worry about a big long stem getting broken. Any other pipes I should be on the lookout for that can be had fairly inexpensive and quickly? I have to leave real soon. Thanks!

Billy
Meers are great pipes. They smoke great, very cool. If you want them to color evenly, they say that you must wear gloves to keep the oils off the pipe. Ehhh, I didn't notice a big deal. Like I said, they smoke well.

They can be a bit more fragile than briar though. Especially the mortice - tenon area. But, if you're good to it, it isn't a problem.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

I don't know how rough your travel is going to be, but my guess would be rough..!
I think I would get a few Missouri Meerschaum cobs and spend most my money on a good supply of tobacco.
Have you ever smoked a Cob? They smoke pretty good, and if you lose one or it gets broke you're only out $4 or 5 bucks.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
Zoomschwortz
I'm back

Trading: (3)
Zoomschwortz is on a distinguished road

First I want to thank you for your service to this country.

I remember reading somewhere, that the Peterson Army pipes were pretty stout and the stem could be removed while the pipe was still hot without causing damage. They were designed to hold up to the rough conditions that are found in the field.

As far as Meerschaums go, I know a lot of them are made in Turkey and come from that part of the world. I wonder if you would be able to find one in Afghanistan?

Here are some of the Peterson Army pipes.
http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept...text=army+pipe

Take care.
Ken
Zoomschwortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomschwortz View Post
I remember reading somewhere, that the Peterson Army pipes were pretty stout and the stem could be removed while the pipe was still hot without causing damage. Ken
If I recall correctly,

Soldiers in the trenches during the war often had to pull their pipes apart in a hurry, this led to many a broken tenon. The standard field repair was to fit the head end of a shell casing to the stem and work the shoulder and neck of the casing so it would fit the mortice. Not only did this make the pipe once again usable, but offered the advantage of being able to quickly break it down and stuff it in a pocket without further breakage.

Having returned from the war these pipes were still smoked, and caught the eye of many pipe smokers and makers, Dunhill, Peterson and other manufactures stared making pipes that looked like these and called them either Military or Spigot mounted. Both designs can be broke down while hot with little fear of breakage.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:05 AM   #9
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

A full sized uncarved meer in a clamshell case is hard to beat. That, and/or half-a-dozen cobs. One meer smokes all - that's convenient.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
Huskysibe
Chief!!!!!!!!!!!!

First Name: Billy
Trading: (9)
LFdC Navy (Active)
Huskysibe will become famous soon enough

Hmmmmm what to do. I dont wanna break a Meer, so I guess thats out
Old 06-13-2010, 02:13 AM   #11
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskysibe View Post
Hmmmmm what to do. I dont wanna break a Meer, so I guess thats out
Get a couple of cobs...I like the Patriot and the Diplomat...

http://www.corncobpipe.com/

A few inexpensive briars like Dr. Grabow's, Kaywoodies, etc...the Dr. Grabow Omega is a great little smoker for the price...

http://www.dr-grabow-pipes.com/DrGrabow2.htm

G'luck over there...
Old 06-13-2010, 11:27 PM   #12
imthegoal
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Brian
Trading: (4)
LGC Army (Active)
imthegoal will become famous soon enough

I woldn't worry about breaking a meer unless you plan on carrying it in your pocket while out on patrol. If you just plan on smokin on base while relaxing it wont be a problem . I am having my meer sent over to me because it will allow me to have just 1 pipe here and still smoke different tobaccos.
imthegoal is offline   Reply With Quote