Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Reviews

Old 07-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
Bigd7400

Default Esoterica Penzance?

Hey guys Noob here with a few questions. I have heard a few things about Penzance but as I am fairly new to the pipe I really don't have a clue
What is Penzance or better put how would you characterize it and why the heck is it almost impossible to find anyone that has any for sale? I have looked all over the web and local B&Ms but no one has any in stock, is it that good or are people that like it just hoarding it? Thanks for all the help guys!!
Old 07-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Esoterica Penzance?

Those who really know will tell you, since this forum is so slow, they will JUMP at the chance to post
something, but this is NOT a new phenomenon by any means. It seems that it has been that way for as
long as I have been smoking which is a very short relative time, 4 years...Honestly I am shocked it has
been over 4 hours without and answer....but tonight, oh, tonight you will find out. I was lucky enough to
get a finger or so from Dafu when I first newbed up the world of pipes....I think. I think the answer is yes to
all of your questions. It is good, people are hoarding it, and I THINK it has been out of production for over
5 years at least. But I made up that last part. I THINK it's long out of production though.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
Bigd7400

Thanks for getting back to me. I know how it goes in the world of forums, speed isn't always of the essence. Thanks for the info on the Penzance too! A buddy of mine that also recently got into pipes turned me on to its existence and we were both intrigued by the fact that you can't find it. It'll bite the big one if it is out of production cause now my curiosity is piqued.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

It's not out of production, it's just that there is a limited supply of it and Stonehaven, the other esoterica blend people have risen to a holy grail like stats, and people will horde the stuff because no one really knows when it's going to be in stock again so it goes like this

Scarcity->Hype->Demand->Insanity->Hording->Stupidity|
^-----<---------<---------<---------<--------<------|

Unfortunately a couple retailers had some in stock this week, but it was gone within a hour.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Last year I managed to score a tin for MSRP!
Old 07-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Bigd7400

So considering all the downsides to the hype/hoarding/scarcity issues is it worth trying to find a tin of this stuff or is it more of an if you see it and want to buy it, ok but don't go outta your way kinda thing?
Old 07-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd7400 View Post
So considering all the downsides to the hype/hoarding/scarcity issues is it worth trying to find a tin of this stuff or is it more of an if you see it and want to buy it, ok but don't go outta your way kinda thing?
If you like English baccy, it's a must try.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I believe what Greg says....I also believe what Derrick charted out, the hype principle, lol.

See how little I actually knew.....
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
Bigd7400

English(es?) are fast becoming some of my favorites as my palate has become more atuned to pipe smoking but as in MUST try is it really better than other more easily accessible baccy? BTW I just found a site that has 8oz tins for sale but I dont think I could splurge on an unknown (to me) baccy but for those of you looking its out there.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
Bigd7400

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
See how little I actually knew.....
Hey you knew more than me and its all appreciated!
Old 07-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

There are always a couple blends that are the equivalent of of that one toy that will make mild mannered grandmothers trample each other to get when Walmart opens at midnight on Black Friday. For the last year Stonehaven and Penzance have been those blends. Penzance is a excellent tobacco, but there are 20 other blends that I like just as much, and can get whenever I want.

2 years ago if you found a tin of any Dunhill tobacco some guys would have traded you their daughter for it, now that it's in regular distribution it's no big deal, before that it was Escudo. They are good tobacco's and if you have the chance to grab a bag go for it, but don't feel the need to scour the depths of the internet for some far flung retailer because they probably don't have it either and just never updated their website.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
GWN
Snow City

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
GWN will become famous soon enoughGWN will become famous soon enough

Keep an eye out here: https://www.iwanries.com/product-det...a-Penzance-8oz
And welcome to The Asylum
Old 07-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
fissure
DHC Black Ops

First Name: Steve
Trading: (48)
Partagas
fissure has disabled reputation

Quiet Jeff. Just got the order today for 1 of each (stonehaven and penzance) They sold out in less than an hour for what they had
fissure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

I used to love all the Esoterica blends. I liked Margate a little more than Penzance. I'm a little surprised these are so popular again. In the 90's, they were all the rage then the shimmer wore off a little when the G.L. Pease blends became all the rage (and rightly so). They are worth MSRP if you can find them. I wouldn't buy at a premium, though. Lots of good stuff out there.

MCS
Old 07-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #15
Bigd7400

Thanks for all the insight guys. I'm not one to jump on any bandwagons so if I stumble across some I'll pick it up if not no big deal. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on some once in a decade thing.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #16
badbriar

Oh yes, the infamous Penzance... It truly is something different. I spent no small amount of time looking for an English blend that is essentially the same and had no luck. Even the suggestions from the folks at C & D were not even close. As mentioned before, Penzance is unique. I'd liken it to my favorite cigar, Liga Privada Undercrown. Just does not get much better. Hope you get a chance to give it a try.
RR
Old 04-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #17
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I truly enjoy Penzance, it is a great smoke. I will say though, that as it is tough to find, there are other blends out there to try. Will they be replacements that match the flavor of Penzance? No! Penzance has a flavor and nuances all its own. They are however, great in their own right.

I would suggest some other blends easier to find, that to my tastes (and my tastes are only my own opinion) are as good as Penzance and share some similar characteristics.

Two Friends Deacon's Downfall
Gawith, Hoggarth Mixture #12
Cornell & Diehl Bow-legged Bear