Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 11-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #21
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation
Default Re: Need some input

It means adjusting between an espresso shot and a French Press could take the best part of a day and leave your hand very tired.

One rotation of the worm drive moves the grinder about one setting.

It's great for small adjustments between different espresso roasts but not big jumps.

I have seen some people take off the worm drive handle and put on a guitar string winder for quicker winding.

I have never venured more than a few clicks.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:44 PM   #22
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

I have a Capresso Drip. It works great for daily stuff. I enjoy my french press when I have the time on the weekends. As far as beans go. I am a home roaster, which opens up another door of toys.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #23
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

The Rocky is quite easy to adjust from French Press to Espresso or even Turkish Coffee.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:12 PM   #24
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa View Post
Hey guys, whats your take on this statement, I got it from the Macap Stepless M-4 write-up on Amazon:

I will be using this for coffee until the spring when I splurge on an espresso maker in the $1500-2000 range. I will probably make it on the stove to practice and get familiar, but will be using the grinder for day-to-day coffee until I pull the trigger.

Why would that be the case, and thank you for teaching me the art of coffee.
The Macap, which is the grinder both
Pete and I have, uses a stepless worm drive to adjust the grind. What that means is it is infinitely adjustable, which makes it
perfect for espresso grinding where very small adjustments can make
or break the shot. It also means it isn't the fastest to
make LARGE adjustments, as it takes
quite a few spins of the adjustment lever to
move from an espresso grind to a drip grind, in theory this is a pain. In
pratice, it's not so long as you're only swinging back and forth once or twice
a day. It's really a non issue for me in practice
Old 11-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #25
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

I just did a price check and found:

Rocky>> $359

Vario>> $429

Macap M4>>$494

Not bashing any brands, but Geez, under $150 difference for what I feel is a world of difference for a long, long time????

Less than that for the Vario which has been getting rave reviews.

Seems quite easy to me, but I am quite opinionated and there certainly is a big market for Rockys. I just hate plastic parts.

Buy the Macap, set it for coffee, adjust it to espresso when you get the machine, and be happy.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #26
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

If you want to save money... Have you checked Craigslist? Grinders and machines come and go all the time.

The Rocky is stepped. When the grind comes to espresso, you still have a swing of 3 steps in getting the grind "just right", so although it is not infinite, you'll hit the sweet spot. The Silva does maintain temperature as steady as the high end machines, but you still end up with a nice espresso.

I am not as perfection obessed as I use to be with espresso. As long as it comes out within in time, I am happy. If the comes out more on one side than the other, I don't shed a tear.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #27
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

I'm completely anal and obsessed.

I can't get over it if my espresso pull is faster than 25 seconds to make 1.75 oz shots, 30 seconds being optimal. I have a timer and push it the second the shot starts and break stuff if it comes out too fast. 22 second pulls go right into the sink.

The Macap allows exactly 5 seconds to be added or subtracted by one complete rotation of the worm drive.

I only floss with one type of floss, oh forget it. Buy what you like, not what me and Vic use.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:12 PM   #28
Costa
Cohibo Aficionado

First Name: Craig
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
Costa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
The Macap, which is the grinder both
Pete and I have, uses a stepless worm drive to adjust the grind. What that means is it is infinitely adjustable, which makes it
perfect for espresso grinding where very small adjustments can make
or break the shot. It also means it isn't the fastest to
make LARGE adjustments, as it takes
quite a few spins of the adjustment lever to
move from an espresso grind to a drip grind, in theory this is a pain. In
pratice, it's not so long as you're only swinging back and forth once or twice
a day. It's really a non issue for me in practice
AHhhh, ok, I think I get it. But will this be ok for my day-to-day needs pertaining to coffee from a, say, Capresso MT500? Thanks again!
Old 11-28-2009, 05:14 PM   #29
Costa
Cohibo Aficionado

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
If you want to save money... Have you checked Craigslist? Grinders and machines come and go all the time.

The Rocky is stepped. When the grind comes to espresso, you still have a swing of 3 steps in getting the grind "just right", so although it is not infinite, you'll hit the sweet spot. The Silva does maintain temperature as steady as the high end machines, but you still end up with a nice espresso.

I am not as perfection obessed as I use to be with espresso. As long as it comes out within in time, I am happy. If the comes out more on one side than the other, I don't shed a tear.
Thank you! For the price, I'm better off with the Macap, its just that the statement that said "not for coffee use" scared me, as I will be using it for my coffee until I get the "real" espresso machine this summer. Again, thank you.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #30
Costa
Cohibo Aficionado

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
I just did a price check and found:

Rocky>> $359

Vario>> $429

Macap M4>>$494

Not bashing any brands, but Geez, under $150 difference for what I feel is a world of difference for a long, long time????

Less than that for the Vario which has been getting rave reviews.

Seems quite easy to me, but I am quite opinionated and there certainly is a big market for Rockys. I just hate plastic parts.

Buy the Macap, set it for coffee, adjust it to espresso when you get the machine, and be happy.
I agree, totally. Stupid question; can you give me primer on what type of grind (fine I am pretty sure is for espresso) is what? For instance, when I get the grinder, how will I know the type of grind to use for my day-to-day coffee? And how much to how much water?

Thanks again for educating me. I owe you guys so much......
Old 11-28-2009, 05:51 PM   #31
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

No problem. The lower the number, the finer the grind. The higher the number, the coarser.

For coffee, I would guess you would set at about 5, but it's a matter of seeing what comes out and adjusting from there.

Keep asking questions because Italian grinder and espresso machine user manuals are as bad as they get.

And to make things more tricky, the numbers on the Macap are hard to read. Most likely, you'll find the spot where coffee grind is perfect, put a little mark on it and go left or right a notch or two if you want to adjust. Same with Espresso.

Once you get your hands on it, it will be a breeze. I completely disassembled my Macap, cleaned the burrs, painted the number ring silver and put black lines where the numbers are, and reassembled in under an hour.

If you make the choice to get the Macap, I have step by step directions for taking it apart, which is easy and you will only do once or twice a year, or once a week if you are anal and opinionated like me.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:42 PM   #32
Costa
Cohibo Aficionado

Montecristo

Quote:
No problem. The lower the number, the finer the grind. The higher the number, the coarser.

For coffee, I would guess you would set at about 5, but it's a matter of seeing what comes out and adjusting from there.

Keep asking questions because Italian grinder and espresso machine user manuals are as bad as they get.

And to make things more tricky, the numbers on the Macap are hard to read. Most likely, you'll find the spot where coffee grind is perfect, put a little mark on it and go left or right a notch or two if you want to adjust. Same with Espresso.

Once you get your hands on it, it will be a breeze. I completely disassembled my Macap, cleaned the burrs, painted the number ring silver and put black lines where the numbers are, and reassembled in under an hour.

If you make the choice to get the Macap, I have step by step directions for taking it apart, which is easy and you will only do once or twice a year, or once a week if you are anal and opinionated like me.
How will I be able to tell what is the right coffee grind? Taste? (damn I must sound stupid...lol)
Old 11-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #33
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

Quote:
How will I be able to tell what is the right coffee grind? Taste? (damn I must sound stupid...lol)
I couldn't tell ya that one. Can't remember the last time I drank coffee.

My wife brews, and always has, Cafe Bustello in her drip and it is espresso grind and seems to work fine.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #34
Costa
Cohibo Aficionado

Montecristo

Quote:
I couldn't tell ya that one. Can't remember the last time I drank coffee.

My wife brews, and always has, Cafe Bustello in her drip and it is espresso grind and seems to work fine.
So the same setting can be used in a drip as in an espresso maker? Good to know........man, I'm slipping down the coffee slope.....
Old 11-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #35
Resipsa

Quote:
So the same setting can be used in a drip as in an espresso maker? Good to know........man, I'm slipping down the coffee slope.....
NO. You would not get a satisfactory result.

The only reason that review on the Macap says it's not good for coffee is the inconvenience of changing from an espresso grind to a drip grind. As far as the quality of the grind is concerned, that is not the issue.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #36
Resipsa

This article explains some good facts about grinders in general, and look for the section on the Macap M4, it should explain some things for you.

http://www.home-barista.com/espresso...-features.html
Old 11-28-2009, 07:19 PM   #37
Resipsa

A chart of different grinds:

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/03/coffeegrind/
Old 11-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #38
Costa
Cohibo Aficionado

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
A chart of different grinds:

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/03/coffeegrind/
Thank you so much! Off to read!
Old 11-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #39
Costa
Cohibo Aficionado

Montecristo

Quote:

I'm thinking of going stepped because it will be used for both coffee and espresso on a pretty consistant basis. Thoughts on my loss of adjustment?
Old 11-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #40
Costa
Cohibo Aficionado

Montecristo

What about the best day-to-day drip coffee maker? Any input?