Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-15-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
Sam Leccia
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Sam
Trading: (0)
Navy (Served With Honor)
Sam Leccia is on a distinguished road
Default Hookah anyone?

What's up guys? I just was curious if any of you enjoy smoking a hookah. I for one will pretty much smoke anything that burns, but I enjoy the smooth cool flavor of Shisha (hookah tobacco).

I smoke my hookah from time to time, but the funny thing is it just makes me want a cigar all the more.

My only drawback to to shisha is the process of packing the bowl, it's messy and can just be a pain for an impatient dude like me.

I was just curious to hear from cigar smokers on your take.
Sam Leccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation
Default Re: Hookah anyone?

I never used hookahs for tobacco when I was young and dumb, and I still stay clear of hookahs becasue of what I associate them with. To me they will never represent tobacco. I just love my cigars and am going to get into pipes soon.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

Never tried one...
Old 12-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
Sam Leccia
Just in from the Storm

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
I never used hookahs for tobacco when I was young and dumb, and I still stay clear of hookahs becasue of what I associate them with. To me they will never represent tobacco. I just love my cigars and am going to get into pipes soon.
I smoke a pipe from time to time as well. One thing I never did but will probably try is breaking down a cigar and mixing it with some shisha. That's one thing that lacks to me with the experience is that kick from some stronger tobaccos.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

I've smoked a few hookahs. I never got into the ritual of packing up the bowl, filling the water chamber, getting the coals going, etc. I always found it much milder than other forms of tobacco I've smoked.

I heard that in a recent study, hookah is one the rise. I wonder if it is more than just the college kids smoking it these days.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I use to smoke hookah maybe 3-4 years ago. More socially then anything.

Got drunk and knocked the damn thing on the floor, burn the crap out of some carpet and broke the hookah. Never bought another one
Old 12-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

One of my friends has one that I go over to smoke every once in awhile. Its kind of a group thing to do, you can't really smoke those on your own. They're fun, but I don't really get much flavor from them. I'll take cigars and pipes any day. That said seeing my friends who don't smoke anything else start to feel the nicotine from the shisha after 4 or 5 hits is amusing.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

I have one that my friend gave me. I like it from time to time, but I can't fight the urge to inhale with it and my chest always feels heavy the next day. The last time I had to get a spoon full of sugar was this summer when I was smoking a cigar and a hookah at the same time.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Ethan
Trading: (1)
Flounder is on a distinguished road

My friends and I go to the Hookah Lounge here in town. Someone packs the bowl for you, $11 all you can smoke, and 3-4 of us will smoke 3-4 bowls in a night. Again, for me its primarily social, and I always want a cigar. But I have a hard time burning a $3-10 stick after I paid $11 for all I can smoke.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #10
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Hey Sam! When are your new cigars coming out? I remember earlier this year reading that your cigars were being released, but I haven't seen them anywhere.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #11
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Leccia View Post
I smoke a pipe from time to time as well. One thing I never did but will probably try is breaking down a cigar and mixing it with some shisha. That's one thing that lacks to me with the experience is that kick from some stronger tobaccos.
Interesting idea, I don't think I could break up a good cigar though. A good cigar is soo wonderful in it's current form.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #12
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Ethan
Trading: (1)
Flounder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
When I was a kid and first breaking into cigars (phillies, swisher sweets, black 'n mild, etc) I had a backwoods that fell all apart so we crunched it into a pipe and smoked it. Granted it was a homemade pipe made to smoke other essential herbs, and we ended up swallowing more than smoking.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #13
Sam Leccia
Just in from the Storm

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Hey Sam! When are your new cigars coming out? I remember earlier this year reading that your cigars were being released, but I haven't seen them anywhere.
Thats a question for a whole other thread...
Old 12-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #14
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
Interesting idea, I don't think I could break up a good cigar though. A good cigar is soo wonderful in it's current form.
I have the raw tobacco, no need to break up a perfectly good cigar...
BlkDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #15
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough

Quote:
would make for a very long thread...........
BlkDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #16
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Oh, sorry for the hijack. I bumped the old thread
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #17
andromalius
Cigar Nirvana

First Name: Jon
andromalius is on a distinguished road

I've smoked hookah a few times at a friends house or at a hookah lounge. I enjoy them quite a bit, but I don't own one myself.
andromalius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #18
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Never tried it, but I have heard of guys smoking cigars down to the band and then clipping the ash and dark parts of the cigar out...storing it in a ziplock...and then when they have enough, grinding it down for pipes. Seems like you would have a lot of different flavors to deal with (if you got all of the burnt out of course)...or maybe I was naive when I heard that!! Anyway try it ever?
Old 12-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #19
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaase321 View Post
Never tried it, but I have heard of guys smoking cigars down to the band and then clipping the ash and dark parts of the cigar out...storing it in a ziplock...and then when they have enough, grinding it down for pipes. Seems like you would have a lot of different flavors to deal with (if you got all of the burnt out of course)...or maybe I was naive when I heard that!! Anyway try it ever?
I guess it depends on the cigar, but it seems like it would be awefully strong.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #20
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Sam if you don't already have one you need to get either a vortex or phunnel bowl. They are many times better than the standard Egyptian bowls that most hookahs come with. I keep all my shisha in mason jars, and when am ready to smoke, I use a butter knife to stir it around and then use the knife to load the bowl. It really helps keep the mess down, because once you get the juice from the shisha on your fingers it gets everywhere.

If you want something that is a little stronger than the standard stuff, unwashed shisha like Tangiers or Nakhla should suit you. Nakhla Earl Grey is nice, it's not sweet like most of the molasses based stuff.

Cigars, Pipes, Hookah, their all different experiences, so you can't expect that smoking a hookah to be the same as, or a replacement for a cigar, you just have to enjoy it for what it is.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote