Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #21
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Where were you???

I was getting up and starting my day. Something made me turn the TV on, and as I got my kids ready for school, the first plane hit. Then I went to the cigar site where I had friends in NYC and waited for news and personal reports. It was a very sad day.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #22
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

Working for a Sheriff's Office attending a training class when one of the instructors ran in and said " We're under attack!" Our class was canceled and the Sheriff called everyone to work because no one knew what was going to happen next. Dark dark day for our country.

Chris.....
Old 09-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #23
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

I was a junior in high school, I was in the locker area and a bunch of people were talking about something having to do with the World Trade Center then in my next class the teacher brought in a tv and we were watching everything unfold on the news. I remember it like it was yesterday
eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #24
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation

At work in Rockefeller Center (4.3 miles away) it was very scary hearing all the rumors going around the city that day... 8 planes missing...more targets in NY... I didn't really feel safe until I seen an F-14 fly over Rockefeller plaza.

I stayed at work overnight and went to the roof of 30 Rock (70 stories) the next morning to see a cloud of smoke billowing from where the towers used to be.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #25
safariguy
There's one. Set for stun

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
safariguy will become famous soon enoughsafariguy will become famous soon enough

I am a police officer and was working the night shift then so I did not get up until late morning when almost everything had already happened. I turned on the TV because we had a local situation that had been on national news the day before so I wanted to see if anyone I knew was on television. First thing I saw was the fire at the Pentagon. Later that night at work, we had to deal with the gas stations being overwhelmed and the traffic problems.

My wedding was 11 days later and we did not know if my best man, who was a Naval aviator, was going to be allowed to come. He made it, and was in his dress whites. A lot of police, fire, and EMS at the reception which was held a the fire department made for a lot of emotions.
safariguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:57 AM   #26
KidRock
Moped Herf Crew

First Name: Jon
Trading: (17)
Trinidad
KidRock has disabled reputation

I was sitting in my 10th grade math class....I found out late bc of early morning gym class....I went completly numb and our school actually went on lockdown for two hours...
Old 09-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #27
tchariya
Taters of the lost Ark

Trading: (13)
RG
tchariya will become famous soon enoughtchariya will become famous soon enough

I was getting my shoes on for work and had accidentally sat on the remote that turned on the tv to the smoking first tower. I was like...wth...started changing channels and saw the same picture over and over again. I thought someone must have burnt a bagel or something.....then I saw a plane slam into the other tower.

I grabbed my phone to call my brother. He was flying out of NYC that morning.
I didn't get him for a good 24 hours. Turns out...he changed his flight and took the red-eye to SFO the night before.

He was going to be on on of the four flights.
tchariya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:48 PM   #28
Savvy
Bull Goose Loony

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (11)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Savvy will become famous soon enough

I was in my 9th grade history class. My mom was having open heart surgery, so my day was already stressful beforehand.

We turned the tv on and saw the first tower smoking, and then the second plane hit. It was a very quiet day at school. I'll never forget how I felt that day.
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #29
brandonfd3s
NC to CA to TX now!

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
brandonfd3s is on a distinguished road

I remember waking up getting ready for school and the first tower had been hit. Then I was in my Sophmore Woodshoop Class. We all sat around a radio the enitre class and listen to it unfold. I will always remember that day.
brandonfd3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #30
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

I was waxing my truck in the yard with the radio on.
At the time I was working the night shift on a new 35 story high rise in Boston, got a call around noon to take a few days off, the builder did not want to take any chances.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #31
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember this like it was yesterday...sitting in Post Operations at Fort Eustis, Virginia as a young SSG and having to activate the Installation Operations Center emergency roster within minutes.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #32
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

I was driving in Southern New Jersey looking at property with my business partner. We weren't listening to the radio and not really taking any calls. At the time I had Nextel, and a friend of mine called. I told him I would have to call him back. All he said was "Turn it on 1060" (that's the local news channel). A strange conversation so I immediately turned on the radio.

We stopped to make sure a few construction workers had heard about it then returned to our office. Left work early that day. I couldn't think straight.

I will never forget.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #33
whogamawut
Just in from the Storm

whogamawut is on a distinguished road

I was in high school and was sleeping in cause it was a late day. My mom came bursting in my room screaming.
whogamawut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #34
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

At work here in town, about 25 miles from Ground Zero, and on line on the old defunct JRBB cigar site. That's where I heard the news, in posts from all over the country and around the world, telling me what was happening in my own front yard.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #35
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough

I was in grad school. My parents called me "early" in the morning to wake me up. I remember being pissed because they woke me up. I went downstairs. My dad called it right away and said it was terrorist attack well before the 2nd plane hit. I turned on and saw the 2nd plane hit. I called a bunch of grad school buddies who like me believed the day began at noon and ended at 5am. I woke them up. We pretty stayed on the phone the whole day watching, no one went in that day. It was surreal. I remember when the first tower fell, my pal asked whats going on, I said the tower is falling, it is coming down. I remember he said "no no no no ways, it is". I remeber that for some reason a lot more then the 2nd plane hitting.
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #36
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Wife called and told me that she was told that a plane had hit one of the Twin Towers; nobody really knew what was happening. I turned on the idiot box, and saw the second plane hit. I thought it was a computer animation, it was so unreal. I sat transfixed and sometimes crying for the rest of the day and into the night.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #37
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I was asleep when the first plane hit. My mother called and woke my wife and I up. I saw the second plane hit and couldn't believe it. I thought it was something out of a movie. But reality finally set in and I honestly didn't know what to think. Just thinking about it today still gives me the shivers. Thoughts and prayers to all of the victims' friends and families.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #38
dubnick

I was in 11th Grade Science Class. The teachers knew, but were instructed not to tell us. We all eventually figured it out, and I was called to the office.

My Dad and Uncle were working in the city and my Mom couldn't get in contact with either of them. She had come to pick me and my sister up and we watched it all unfold at home. We didn't hear from them until early in the evening. They were both ok.

I'll never forget!!!

Old 09-11-2009, 04:03 PM   #39
Scothew
CA Scott #2658

First Name: Scott
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Scothew will become famous soon enoughScothew will become famous soon enough

I had gotten home from working overnight shift in the network ops center and just gotten in bed good when my mom called to tell me. I stayed glued to the tv and phone for the rest of the day seemed like untill I could get confirmation my two friends who were regional airline pilots were ok. 99% of their flying was done in that area.
Scothew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #40
WyGuy
Boiler Up!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
WyGuy will become famous soon enoughWyGuy will become famous soon enough

I was eating breakfast in the kitchen when my sister came up from downstairs saying that a plane had crashed into one of the Trade Towers. Pretty much the entire day at school was spent watching the news. Will never forget that, even remember what I had for breakfast, Honey Bunches of Oats and a glass of chocolate milk.
WyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote