Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold
Default Sound Bars??

Hey everyone,

I am in the market for one, I have a 42 inch Samsung TV.....I have not really looked at them price wise yet, but I figured some of you might know about these or even have one.

I am looking to pick one up on Black Friday.....so throw em at me and thanks for the input.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Re: Sound Bars??

I listened to a pretty awesome Bose soundbar at Best Buy a couple weeks ago. Never took a look at the model number though.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

I've had one (Sony, I think) for about a year and I'm happy with it.
BUT....only because it met my personal criteria:
1. Cheap - think I spent just under $100
2. Small rented condo room with neighbors, so I'm very rarely looking to 'crank it up'
3. Little room for multiple speakers
4. I'm not much of an audiophile

You can easily do far better with small satellites and a subwoofer. Even Bose' lowest end system sounded far better, but I didn't want the extra speakers, wires, cost. It is mounted right above my 42", wires aren't visible and sound is fine for me. With a room any bigger than my 10x15 living room, and I'm pretty sure I'd want something more substantial.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

I have a Vizio and have been very happy with it. For the price I think it sounds just as good as the other brands. I looked at the LG, Samsung and some other ones that they had at best buy. I think at the time, last black friday, they were still close to the $200 mark and the sound just did not impress me. I think the best one that I heard was made by JBL and in the higher price range was i think a Bose. I don't get deep bass but I can live with that.

If you're like me than I just wanted better sound than the built in speakers of the TV. I kept in mind that if I wanted good sound I knew I needed to go components but I am not willing to pay or set them up.
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Tır
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

They're great if you're looking to conserve space or save money and high sound quality is not a priority. Other than that though, the sound is not all that great for either music or movies, especially for the price.
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I love my Vizeo sound bar.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:18 AM   #7
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

I went with the Boston and I have been happy with it for ~2yrs now.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:36 AM   #8
mjdx88
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
mjdx88 is on a distinguished road

+1 With LasciviousXXX, If you would like some good sound stay away from those powered sound bars....

If your not mounting the TV on the wall look at zvox, this sits right under the TV, provides some good sound IMHO.

If your looking to wall mount the TV and keep costs down, look at the matching samsung bars, I have installed a few of them, and as much as I hate to admit that I have. I also dont like to admit that they sound pretty damn good for the price and size.
mjdx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #9
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I am looking to buy one too. Costco has a few, but wasn't sure which one to buy. I assume they are all powered?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #10
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post
They're great if you're looking to conserve space or save money and high sound quality is not a priority. Other than that though, the sound is not all that great for either music or movies, especially for the price.
I have a vizio and feel the same way.. I use it maybe 5 times a year. Mostly for music. I think it sounds better for music than TV/Movies.. To me that is.

I would not buy one again.. I tired to give mine away to my mom.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

We have a Vizio at the shop that works pretty well.

I am looking to conserve space (by placing it above over below the wall mounted tv) right now I have a JVC 5 disc player and it's just not producing the sound it used to, if I watch a DVD I have to crank it to no less than 17 to even hear it.....tv about 5 (which is fine) and cd's 13 or higher + the speakers are big and bulky and just looking to go minimal.

Sound isn't that important, and by that I mean surround sound, however I was talking to a coworker and maybe wireless surround sound is the way to go?

This is what I have now, to give you an idea of what I am dealing with.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #12
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Wow. Does that run on diesel, unleaded or jet fuel?
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
mjdx88
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
mjdx88 is on a distinguished road

Samsung Soundbar is the way to go....wireless surround sound is a gimmick I have never seen it work right...I have replaced many of these kits with a real sound system.
mjdx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #14
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Tır
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

The only wireless system I recommend is the Sonos HiFi Music system. However, they are not what you'd call "affordable".
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

I love our cheap $100 Vizio sound bar. It's much better than the stock TV speakers on out 32" Samsung. It's no surround sound system but it works for my purpose.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #16
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Thanks guys, I am just going to have to research them and look around, just wanted to get everyone's opinions on them.

And yeah Dave that's a monster isn't it? Luckily the speakers are moveable
Old 11-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #17
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I just bought a Yamaha AVS-1010 at Costco on Saturday and will be returning it this week. The sound difference was not that dramatic, I was unable to disable the internal subwoofer (followed the easy directions to no avail) and optical audio cable goes from speaker to cable box. When I use my laptop via HDMI, the speaker aren't going to work. Just not worth the hassle for very little improvement IMO.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #18
skullnrose
Ashes,ashes,all fall down

First Name: Scott
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
skullnrose is on a distinguished road

Have one of these on the TV in the spare bedroom http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-S40...amaha+soundbar

Improved the sound of the TV but NOT surround sound
Has HDMI switching
Cost 599.95
If your not picky about sound quality you can find much cheaper sound bars
I agree with LasciviousXXX on the sonos for wireless
Really depends on what your looking to do. You can get a AV receiver and simple 5.1 speaker set up for the price of a decent sound bar and get true surround sound.