I'm a friend of Gary S

First Name: Marc
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
Parshooter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: PBS cooking shows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan View Post
Nobody is going to mention one of the most entertaining cooking shows to ever be on PBS, Justin Wilson's Cajun Cooking? If I had not gone into electronics, Justin and Paul Prudhomme would have inspired me enough to get into the culinary arts.
Exactly. Justin was the best, RIP. Never missed his show on Sat morning. Bought 2 of his books and have made many of his recipes.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:14 PM   #22
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Nobody is going to mention one of the most entertaining cooking shows to ever be on PBS, Justin Wilson's Cajun Cooking? If I had not gone into electronics, Justin and Paul Prudhomme would have inspired me enough to get into the culinary arts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parshooter View Post
Exactly. Justin was the best, RIP. Never missed his show on Sat morning. Bought 2 of his books and have made many of his recipes.

I garawwwnntee!

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:16 AM   #23
Homebrewer
Love'm Tatuaje

Trading: (9)
Homebrewer is on a distinguished road

Yea, they have dumbed the channel way down with that Sandra Lee b.s.. Here are some shows I catch once in a while:

Barefoot Contessa: everything is made with a pound of butter + heavy cream. Try her Chicken Piccata.

Paula Deen: She's the down-home version of the snooty Barefoot. Same amounts of butter + cream in every dish. I don't really watch her much. Try her wild rice salad. Oh, and her two "boys" are annoying.

Alton Brown: He's good with science. The nerd of the crew.

Giada: She'll add mascarpone cheese to any dish and call it Italian.

Bobby Flay: The master of blender sauces.

Jamie Oliver: Great show. You'll have to do some translation from English to English if you know what I mean.

Tyler Florance: This guy cooks up some great stuff. It's hard to listen to him talk though. He speaks in a strange stoner language.

Molto Mario: He's the best. I record his show on the Fine Living network (I think). I don't think he's on Food TV anymore. Ming Tsai's show is there too.

On PBS I record Cook's Illustrated. I have Rick Bayless' cookbooks, but I've never seen his show. I'll have to check it out.

Homebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:02 AM   #24
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Jacques Pépin is my favorite PBS chef. His recipes are great and he offers a lot of technique and tips that have really built the foundation of my early cooking. Especially when it comes to preparation and plating.

I don't always agree with Juilia Child's ideas with what goes together, and some recipes like cooking lettuce just don't sound that tasty.

Being Boston, I have heard countless stories about Ming and Julia. I ride my bike by Blue Ginger a lot. Never ate there; don't know why it's 9 miles from my house.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #25
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Rick Bayless' show is my favorite followed by Cooks Illustrated. If you're into Mexican food, get any of Rick's cookbooks. They're some of the best for that cuisine of cooking. I still get requests for tamales. Mark Bittman's shows are good too. Haven't seen them in a while though. :-(

Hopefully my PBS station will carry the Eric Ripert show. Sounds interesting and he's a excellent chef.

If they replay it, catch "Spain - On the Road Again" with Mark Bittman, Mario Batali, Gwenyth Paltrow and smokin' hot Claudia Bassols. Made me want to go to Spain to sample the food.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #26
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Hopefully my PBS station will carry the Eric Ripert show. Sounds interesting and he's a excellent chef.
I've seen a few now and it is interesting. There seem to be three segments. The first is some location that inspires him (last was an organic farm), Le Bernardin (his restaurant), and finally his home kitchen, where he shares a recipe related to the first segment.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #27
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
"Now what I'm onna did is make tater salad without taters" . He was great . RIP Justin . Lots of good cooking shows on PBS .
Old 02-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #28
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Caught a new one (new to me anyway), but I'm drawing a blank on the name. The episode I saw, Lorraine Bracco was a guest, and they were in Marrakesh (sp?) making traditional Moroccan dishes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #29
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Caught a new one (new to me anyway), but I'm drawing a blank on the name. The episode I saw, Lorraine Bracco was a guest, and they were in Marrakesh (sp?) making traditional Moroccan dishes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Found it. It's called Gourmet's Adventures With Ruth. Today's ep is in Laos. I don't recognize the guest (missed the first couple of minutes). She's an Aussie. Just now, they made a type of traditional Laotian salad featuring ant eggs. Yum!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #30
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Just now, they made a type of traditional Laotian salad featuring ant eggs. Yum!
This just gets better and better. They went to a silk factory, and had fried silkworm, and silkworm poo tea.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #31
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
9. Mario - is he still on, I miss his shows?
I saw him on about a month ago. Haven't checked since.

Did you ever get around to seeing BBQ-U Jeff?
Old 02-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #32
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
Did you ever get around to seeing BBQ-U Jeff?
Not yet. I keep forgetting to check the local listings and find out when it's on. It's not part of my usual Saturday block of cooking shows.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2010, 12:27 PM   #33
mariogolbee

BBQ-U is on. Probably started at 11:00AM. IDK though. I got out of the shower and my daughter was watching it, again. She seems to really like the cooking shows. It's on channel 17 in Campbell if that means anything to you Jeff.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #34
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
BBQ-U is on. Probably started at 11:00AM. IDK though. I got out of the shower and my daughter was watching it, again. She seems to really like the cooking shows. It's on channel 17 in Campbell if that means anything to you Jeff.
Seeing as I'm on the opposite coast, I doubt we have the same schedule.
I checked. One of the local PBS stations has a great website that lets you look up info on every show they broadcast. Unfortunately, they don't show BBQ-U, apparently. The site for the other station sucks. I also haven't had any luck finding it locally on tvguide.com or Zap2It.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #35
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road

You've really got to listen to Giadda when she describes what she's eating . I swear she uses innuendo at least once or twice a show . "Little Soft Pillows of Heaven" and "Gooey , Salty , Creamy Goodness" are just a couple examples .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewer View Post
Yea, they have dumbed the channel way down with that Sandra Lee b.s.. Here are some shows I catch once in a while:

Barefoot Contessa: everything is made with a pound of butter + heavy cream. Try her Chicken Piccata.

Paula Deen: She's the down-home version of the snooty Barefoot. Same amounts of butter + cream in every dish. I don't really watch her much. Try her wild rice salad. Oh, and her two "boys" are annoying.

Jamie Oliver: Great show. You'll have to do some translation from English to English if you know what I mean.

Tyler Florance: This guy cooks up some great stuff. It's hard to listen to him talk though. He speaks in a strange stoner language.

Molto Mario: He's the best. I record his show on the Fine Living network (I think). I don't think he's on Food TV anymore. Ming Tsai's show is there too.

On PBS I record Cook's Illustrated. I have Rick Bayless' cookbooks, but I've never seen his show. I'll have to check it out.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #36
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

It's tough to beat Lidia's Italy. She looks like a cajun woman from my dad's side of the family,
nearly bald and man-looking. But that lady cooks like I like to cook. And she likes to drink.

The one I cannot stand is the one where the boyfriend is there to provide low-quality musical
interludes on guitar, and I think they even use a band.
Another one I loved until I had gotten about enough latina cocina is the Puerto Rican, Christina.
She gave me a routine boner from time to time. I really like the cat from Spain. His accent is half
the show for me.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #37
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewer View Post

My 7 yo loves cooking shows so of course I got her some Giada DVD's. I would love it if she were to try my cannoli.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #38
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Steve Raichlen is the man.
Haha, it's Raichlen that wants to make me punch him, not Lidia from Italy.
Granted, these guys have to repeat alot, but every recipe he does he has to re-tell what indirect
grilling is, show how nice the hinged grills are for placing coals on the fire while cooking, and his
speech pattern gets on my nerves. And "here at BBQ U, we like to ..." has got to be the phrase
that sets me off worst. But he can be topped by the cat that wears the tablecloth shirt.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #39
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
I would love it if she were to try my cannoli.
Leave the bathing suit....TAKE the cannoli!
Old 04-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #40
Kreth
Ronin smoker

I've been trying to figure out the difference between America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country. Cook's Country has a live audience for the taste testing, other than that, the shows seem identical.
Posted via Mobile Device