Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #1
MTB996
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
Partagas
MTB996 is on a distinguished road
Default Handgun advice

Here's another handgun question for the gang. I have been seriously contemplating a Beretta 92FS Inox (stainless) or the newer 90-two. Looking at 9mm, as have different plans to build my 45 HD collection in 1911 once the funds get better. Have not shot either (been hard to find a rental or someone local that owns either), but both feel very good in hand. Looking mostly for a range toy, not planning on carrying a gun this big.

I really love the look of the stainless 92, but the appeal of the 90-two is the newer design. Anyone have experience with either? They are about the same $ although the 92 Inox is more difficult to find, but not impossible. Just looking for a little shove to go ahead and pull the trigger on one of these.

thanks!
MTB996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Handgun advice

I had a 92FS eons ago.
For the casual shooter, no problem. Great gun that does feel well balanced and is easy to bring back on target while shooting.

For the guy who is going to put several thousand rounds through..... meh, the older ones had SERIOUS slide issues after about 2500-3000 rounds.

Google may provide more detail than I can offer, but bets are they have this resolved... I hope.

I thought I would bring this up in case anyone was interested in a 92FS (especially used) while we were on topic.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
MTB996
Adjusting to the Life

Partagas

Thanks, yeah, I heard about the issues with the early ones that cracked and sent the slide into the shooter (ouch). This was supposedly fixed with the FS version that has been around for years now. I am only looking at new, as the price difference nowadays doesn't justify having a used gun looked at by a smith (I'm anal about making sure any used gun is tip-top before firing it).

thanks!
Mike
Old 06-25-2009, 12:25 AM   #4
bigswol2
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
bigswol2 will become famous soon enoughbigswol2 will become famous soon enough

get ya a para ordinance buddy
bigswol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:54 AM   #5
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

I'm not a fan of the 92 at all. Gritty and stiff DA trigger coupled with the fact you can't keep hammer down on safe was enough for me say no to it. Action is butter smooth though and the balance is fantastic. Also it does look nice if that's a motivation.

If you're dead set on 9mm, I'd suggest a look at the Sig Sauer P226 or a P229 in 9mm. Or if you're budget is high enough, venture a look at the X-Five series (doubtful, but they're fun to look at, at the very least). I only suggest that over a Glock/HK/XD as it seems you appear to be after a metal framed handgun.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:55 AM   #6
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

I love my 92. Trigger is just fine, though it's well worn. I'm pretty sure I can have the hammer down, I think you mean have the hammer cocked on safe. But with a DA, I don't see it being a big deal. I love the way it handles and it always functions.

I haven't used a 90 two.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
White97Jimmy
Puff on this

First Name: James
RA
White97Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
I'm not a fan of the 92 at all. Gritty and stiff DA trigger coupled with the fact you can't keep hammer down on safe was enough for me say no to it. Action is butter smooth though and the balance is fantastic. Also it does look nice if that's a motivation.

If you're dead set on 9mm, I'd suggest a look at the Sig Sauer P226 or a P229 in 9mm. Or if you're budget is high enough, venture a look at the X-Five series (doubtful, but they're fun to look at, at the very least). I only suggest that over a Glock/HK/XD as it seems you appear to be after a metal framed handgun.
My exact answer. I only own a safe of Sigs, I love each one of them....well, I do have a couple of Glocks and a Beretta.
Posted via Mobile Device
White97Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
bigswol2
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
bigswol2 will become famous soon enoughbigswol2 will become famous soon enough

I have the 228 sig in 9mm and I love it!
bigswol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

I have a 92 FS and I love it. It is acurate and it feals very good in my hands. I have heard some people say the grip is too big and you need to have big hands to shoot it, but my wife shoots mine and has never has any trouble with it. It is actually her favorite gun to shoot, and I have a few to choose from. The slide issues were fixed long ago acording to Beretta. As far as suggesting a Sig, there is no comparison. The Sig is a better gun in my opinion, but it cost a lot more, and is in a different league. I would suggest getting the Beretta, I don't think you will be disapointed.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
Lensjockie

Beretta Cougar no longer in production came in 9mm or .40 cal that would solve size issues. You can always have it nickle plated if you like the glitz.
5000 rounds through mine. 2 years flwless performance unless I failed to clean it.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #11
Junior

I personally like the 92FS. I have shot many of them over the years, and have owned a few. I would recommend them to anyone. They are very accurate, and there is probably a reason that once upon a time a majority of the LEO's, and military carried them. I have seen pictures of the ninety two, but have never held one. They do interest me thou.

As far as them not being in the league of a Sig they are correct. I sold my last 92 to pick up a Sig P229, and loved that gun.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:24 PM   #12
MTB996
Adjusting to the Life

Partagas

Alright, I knew these things always end up with a Sig love fest. I do like the sigs I have held (never shot) but always wondered why they cost so much. At the gun show last weekend, they had a sig 226 9mm that was a certified pre-owned that looked new. The guy selling it (dealer) was saying that Sig basically replaces replaces internals/ refinishes the gun to new condition. Anyone have experience with a Sig CPO? The price was $599 so it is actually cheaper than the 92FS....

I like the larger grip of the 92 (bigger hands) but really need to shoot them to decide... I'd just get them both, but I'd have to spend big $ on the wife to prevent castration.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:26 PM   #13
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

My P229 is a CPO. Runs like new.
Posted via Mobile Device
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote