Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
grinsebring
Just in from the Storm

First Name: gilbert
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
grinsebring is on a distinguished road
Default Life too short to smoke cheap cigars

But for me the pocketbook rules. I like my Perdumo champagnes and chewy Gurkas. These are my "treat" smokes. What I call an every day smoke usually consists of an assortment of what they made with the floor sweepings. I try almost anything till I find something worth a rebuy. Today I got my latest delivery from CI. It consisted of a mazo of Sosa rubustos and another of Garo double habanas. Now I have had a Garo before, but it was their upper tier, and it was good. First thing after the mailman handed it to me I cracked the Garo and fired one up. The package aroma was wonderfull. The wrap was acceptable, not bony for a cheapie. This was a great smoke, stayed lit to the finish, and overall more than pleasurable for the cost of a mere 29 bucks for 20. I am retired and golf 3 to 4 times a week. I do waste a smoke once in a while as sharp power turns with a golf cart can send a decent smoke to its grave. I do about 5 to 6 smokes a week, plus hand out a few. I like to get rid of the "rags" on the casual player smoker in my foresome. If anyone else likes a good buy they were on page 16 december cat.....Gil
Old 12-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
iaMkcK
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jarrett
Trading: (8)
HUpmann
iaMkcK will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Life too short to smoke cheap cigars

.. K.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

It all goes back to "smoke what you like!" What I like may not be what you like, and vice-versa, so I make no judgements on what other people like and don't! If I assumed every cheap stick was a bad stick, I'd have missed out on some great sticks in the past, like the Famous 3000 Nics!

Glad you have found some sticks you like at a price that makes smoking cigars financially acceptable for your budget!!!

Just watch that cliff...... It can tend to creep up on you!!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
CoffeeWaterBeer
Critiquing Perique

First Name: Seth
Trading: (13)
Partagas
CoffeeWaterBeer will become famous soon enough

I'm with you Gilbert. I have a mental 3 tier system. Everyday smokes, mid-range quiet time smokes, and the ones I'm saving for a special occasion.

I'll give the Garos a try since they don't break the bank and I'll have the space for them.

In return, might I suggest the Nestor Miranda Dopplebok. A little more if purchased through CI but much cheaper if you go through the devil site. Nice daily smoke for the cost, I'm planning on keeping a stock of these since they're enjoyable to me, yet I wont feel bad passing them out to buddies.

Happy smoking
CoffeeWaterBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

Too many cigars on the market to try every one and to like every one. It got to a point where the vast majority of what I tried was crap. One such was the Panacea line. Those just cost too much for the risk of getting some very bad cigars.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Tampa Sweeetheart #500 maduros for an NC choice of cheap smokes.

CC's, I actually always try to have a box or 2 of Quinteros on hand. Been out for quite a while though. I've had my cigar spending down to zero for months now. It's nice to start smoking through the cigars instead of constantly trying new ones.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Welcome, Gilbert! You sound like my kind of golfer (and cart driver)!
Old 12-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

Life's too short to smoke bad cigars. There's no requirement IMO that cheap cigars be bad.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
grinsebring
Just in from the Storm

First Name: gilbert
Montecristo
grinsebring is on a distinguished road

T.R.Marshalls tongue in cheek statement, "What this country needs is a good 5 cent cigar" holds true today. There are of course no good 5 cent cigars. They went the way of 25 cent gas and 20 cent loaves of bread. Gas and bread are now 3.50. Minimum wage has increased in parity. Two buck cigars are the norm. Some are good some are bad, diferent tastes for different folks.
I am new here and didn't find a thread on decent 2 buck smokes. I fill the space between special occasion $10 smokes with two buckers as I am fairly sure many others on this board do as well. Just putting one out there for consideration as I hoped others would too. Thanks Coffeewaterbeer for the doppleback suggestion. i have smoked Nestor Mirandors before, just not the Dbs. I will try them next month....Gil

Last edited by grinsebring; 12-06-2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: spelling
grinsebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Two letters and one word, Gil . . . JR, Consuegra.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinsebring View Post
T.R.Marshalls tongue in cheek statement, "What this country needs is a good 5 cent cigar" holds true today. There are of course no good 5 cent cigars. They went the way of 25 cent gas and 20 cent loaves of bread. Gas and bread are now 3.50. Minimum wage has increased in parity. Two buck cigars are the norm. Some are good some are bad, diferent tastes for different folks.
I am new here and didn't find a thread on decent 2 buck smokes. I fill the space between special occasion $10 smokes with two buckers as I am fairly sure many others on this board do as well. Just putting one out there for consideration as I hoped others would too. Thanks Coffeewaterbeer for the doppleback suggestion. i have smoked Nestor Mirandors before, just not the Dbs. I will try them next month....Gil
http://67.222.135.200/vb/showthread.php?t=643
Old 12-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #12
blank
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Herbert
AirForce (Deployed)
blank is on a distinguished road

Im new to this hobbie and i really enjoyed a Vegas 5 relic i had the other day, but im still figuing out what i like.
blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #13
TJtorpedo
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
TJtorpedo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blank View Post
Im new to this hobbie and i really enjoyed a Vegas 5 relic i had the other day, but im still figuing out what i like.
You're off and running! For me, trying new smokes is 90% of the fun. The other 10% is trying to figure out how to pay for them all!
Old 12-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #14
Bushman
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Jeff
Bushman is on a distinguished road

I have been smoking cigars for about 5 years now. Not a regular smoker. Sometimes I wll go for a couple weeks between smokes. I love the assortment of cigars one can get off a sampler buy. All too often these are over $70.
I know enough to know the top brands but every so often I take a shot at the "regular" stuff. I wish I could find a cigar I like for about $20 for 16. So far I have'nt been able to break the $40 for 16 mark.
I love maduro, double maduro and there was this one connecticut but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was but it was awesome.
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote