Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default iPhone vs. Android Questions

I really want the new iPhone. I am tired of my Android phone resetting, poor battery life, etc.

What will I not get with the iPhone that I have with my Android?

Is is true that I won't be able to put my Android photos on my iPhone? What about my contacts?
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
Infecting Via PM

First Name: Brendon
Trading: (35)
RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: iPhone vs. Android Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
I really want the new iPhone. I am tired of my Android phone resetting, poor battery life, etc.

What will I not get with the iPhone that I have with my Android?

Is is true that I won't be able to put my Android photos on my iPhone? What about my contacts?
I dont know what provider you have, I have verizon, but when I switched from the Droid X2 to the 4s they were able to xfer all my contacts. For the pictures I am sure you can pop the memory card out of your droid and transfer them all on your comp up load them into itunes and then xfer them to your phone. Not sure about the IP5 but the 4s is a lot faster than my old X2. That is about all I know, hope it helps some
Old 09-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 363 View Post
I dont know what provider you have, I have verizon, but when I switched from the Droid X2 to the 4s they were able to xfer all my contacts. For the pictures I am sure you can pop the memory card out of your droid and transfer them all on your comp up load them into itunes and then xfer them to your phone. Not sure about the IP5 but the 4s is a lot faster than my old X2. That is about all I know, hope it helps some
I have Verizon as well. I wonder how many GB my pictures are that are on my phone.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
Infecting Via PM

First Name: Brendon
Trading: (35)
RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about

I have a lot, I think close to 1k on my 16g 4s. It is crazy to go through and delete 100 at a time
Old 09-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #5
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

NOOOOOOOO!! DROID!

I am a fan of the droid. Just bought a tablet as well.

I never have problems with my phone.. Love it!

Last edited by pnoon; 09-14-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: homophobic comments are not permitted.
CigarSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
kickerb

Pictures are a universal format, and can be used on either IOS or Android. Contacts can be maneuvered in many ways. Last I checked iTunes had a way to use your Google contacts for the iPhone.

So if those are your only questions, you should be good to move to iPhone.

I am a Android fan, hate to see you go. Both phone are extremely powerful and both can do pretty much the same things at this point. There really isn't much loss of features between switching.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

This should be fun
Old 09-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Dan, you can import all of your google contacts (assuming that is where all your current contacts are synced with) by setting up your gmail account on your iphone. You may have to set up the gmail as an exchange push account (there are instruction on the web) but it does work.
You should be able to take all of your pictures off of your phone currently by hooking it into a computer through the usb cable and pull them off as if it was a flash drive.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
bighairlogo
Feeling at Home

Trading: (34)
RA
bighairlogo will become famous soon enoughbighairlogo will become famous soon enough

I would honestly wait for verizon to pick up the new jelly bean OS for the droid phones and compare the two. the new iphone 5 isnt really much different in terms of battery life and features from the previous models, the apple site says it has better battery life but some of their info on that just dosnt add up. However if you were to get an Iphone then the 5 is the way to go since they decided to change the charging port, and overall it seems like a nice phone, but to be honest the features of both OS are very similar so it will come down to what you like best.
bighairlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Should be simple to switch those 2 things.

Contacts, on google.

Picture to comp to iphone.. Time consuming, thats all.

Let us know what you like better when you get the apple
Old 09-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #11
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
This should be fun
Grown men fighting about phones will be fun Now, debating computers is different... Clearly PC's in general have more capabilities than any Apple, so no reason for debate
Old 09-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #12
bighairlogo
Feeling at Home

Trading: (34)
RA
bighairlogo will become famous soon enoughbighairlogo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Grown men fighting about phones will be fun Now, debating computers is different... Clearly PC's in general have more capabilities than any Apple, so no reason for debate
my vote is for linux...i could spend months debating how awesome ubuntu is.
bighairlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #13
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I have an iPhone 4 and a HTC Desire. The iPhone 4 is light years ahead of the Desire.

As far as picture transfer, you have to use a computer I believe.
As far as GB usage, I have over 2500 pics, 2000 songs (Some audio books) and 4 movies on my 32G and still have about 9G left.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #14
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

I don't think you are asking the right questions.

First, the iPhone is one device. Android runs on many (100s) of devices. Blaming poor battery life or any other problem you are having on Android is misguided. You may want to first look at your device.

iOS vs Android is a comparison worth discussing. The iPhone 5 vs. Samsung Galaxy S3 is also a comparison worth discussing.

Understanding what you want out of your device and how you use it is probably much more relevant to this conversation.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #15
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIMPS View Post
I don't think you are asking the right questions.

First, the iPhone is one device. Android runs on many (100s) of devices. Blaming poor battery life or any other problem you are having on Android is misguided. You may want to first look at your device.

iOS vs Android is a comparison worth discussing. The iPhone 5 vs. Samsung Galaxy S3 is also a comparison worth discussing.

Understanding what you want out of your device and how you use it is probably much more relevant to this conversation.
That is actually a good point, the HTC Desire is far behind the Samsung Galaxy S3. In fact I was watching youtube videos on the S3 the day after the iP5 was announced because I was considering going that route. After watching a few videos I realised I still do not like the droid OS but the screen on the S3 appears to be much more of my taste than the iP5. I think OS is more important than screen size however so I will prolly end up with another iPhone. Ultimatley it all comes down to OS IMO, and I believe that iPhone is better for me.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #16
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Just got a Samsung Galaxy S3. The thing is so unbelievably fast.

Of course, I couldn't help myself... I rooted it and installed a ROM within a day. But, this is one of the main reasons why I really like Android. I like to tinker.

To each, their own....
Old 09-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #17
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
This should be fun

here's some popcorn, Jim.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #18
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Verizon - I switched from the Droid X2 to the iPhone 4. Contacts transferred fine. Could have done pictures, but I didn't want to wait(he said it would take a while).

The only thing that I can think of that I had with my Droid, that I don't with the iPhone is free GPS turn by turn directions app.....and maybe I could easily get that if I tried, I just haven't.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #19
Parshooter
I'm a friend of Gary S

First Name: Marc
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
Parshooter will become famous soon enough

Don't know if Drop Box is available on the iphone, but that would be an easy way to trans photos.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #20
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parshooter View Post
Don't know if Drop Box is available on the iphone, but that would be an easy way to trans photos.
Yea it is and I was going to suggest it.

Right now I'm just pissed about not being able to keep my unlimited data plan by switching to the Iphone5.