Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Are there any knowledgeable HVAC people here?

Being the anal-retentive former purchasing manager, I'm conducting an RFP myself for a new HVAC system for my 4400 square foot home. The existing central air unit is a 5T unit that is 19 years old and I have an 80% efficient gas furnace that was installed 6 years ago.

I recognize this can easily be a $15k project and there are numerous technologies available today. Geothermal will be out of the question as I'm using a $15k maximum.

The existing system provides very little airflow to the upstairs in its current state-so much so that my great room that is to be the primary living area was not even set up the entire summer after we moved here in May. I'm going to require the HVAC contractor to ensure a system is put in place through multiple systems/zoning to ensure I don't endure any more 80+ days in this room any more. The airflow to the rest of the upstairs is less than desirable.

Anyway, there will be a lot of variables that I get in the bids because out of the 16 bidders being invited (I know-I'm a penny pincher and quite the negotiator), what are the primary measuring sticks so to speak that I should be looking at other than the number next to the dollar sign?
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Are there any knowledgeable HVAC people here?

cannot answer but, make sure you ask about tax credits for a higher efficiency unit
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
GolfNut
Back in the woodshop!

First Name: Forrest
Trading: (38)
Partagas
GolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Being the anal-retentive former purchasing manager,
Glad to hear you've retained your anal Duane.
GolfNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscmit View Post
cannot answer but, make sure you ask about tax credits for a higher efficiency unit
That's one of my reasons for doing it before the year is up. I figure I get at least $1500 back along with the idea that I can live in my entire house year-round going forward.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfNut View Post
Glad to hear you've retained your anal Duane.
That's the former career analness coming out of me though...I'm going back to school to learn to practice new analness, although I'm hoping I really have no contact in that area in my new career.