Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #41
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Auto Cleaning/Waxing

I have a Porter 7424 and will spend a whole weekend detailing the car. I have used Medzerma with good results but recently switched to the Blackfire products. I finish with the Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax as my final coat and I'm real happy with the results. I have a friend who uses the Zaino products and I was impressed with the results she got. If I'm short on time I'll use the Klasse All-in-One product.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #42
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Anyone do any deep scratch repair themselves? My daughter hit my car with her bike and the handlebars gouged it to the metal.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #43
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

For scratch repair, try the Langka kit. Very good kit for an amateur.

I use touch up paint, overfill, wetsand, polish. That's, of course really over-simplified, and wetsanding isn't somthing to rush blindly into.

Here's where to buy the Langka kit.
http://www.langka.com/complete-paint...-kit-p-30.html

You will need to source the touchup paint though. Safest bet for a perfect match is:
www.paintscratch.com

Last edited by pektel; 07-27-2010 at 01:44 PM.
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #44
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

just thought i'd mention that Biglots has Meguiars quick detaailer for 2 bucks for the 16 oz size.
Posted via Mobile Device
kenstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #45
mhailey
Splitter of Hairs

First Name: Matt
Trading: (21)
mhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvilchez View Post
I personally use Meguiar's 4 Step process.
(although I do the three step: clean, polish, wax. Don't know what the 4th step is).
Old 09-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #46
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhailey View Post
(although I do the three step: clean, polish, wax. Don't know what the 4th step is).
Stand back and ?
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #47
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

a full detail can consist of fifty plus steps. But That's if you really break it down. A full paint correction detail can take anywhere from 25 to over 100 hours, depending on my client's needs and expectations.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #48
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
and use Collinite insulator wax. It goes a long way, and it is very easy to use, slightly different depth than some, but still rocks well on paint or wheels.
I also use Collinite wax, but their carnuba limited edition. Really clear, long lasting and fairly easy to use.

Also, another clay bar user. I have a fine and medium, Magic Clay I think it's called. Use the spray lube with it too. Sometimes use 3M hand glaze between clay and wax.

I buy Meguiar's gallon size jugs for Wheel Cleaner, Glass Cleaner, and Hyper Carwash.

Connolly's Hide Food for leather, Pledge for the wood, and Vinylex for the plastic.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #49
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

which collinite is limited edition? I am guessing you are referring to 915. Marque d'elegance or something like that. That wax is especially nice on darker colors. A couple of my favorite waxes right now are zymol ital, dodo juice supernatural, and rubbish boy's original edition. The basic steps for a detail are:

1. wash
2. clay
3. polish
4. glaze
5. seal
6. wax

of course, there is much elaboration on each of those steps, but this is the basic process.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2010, 06:51 AM   #50
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
which collinite is limited edition? I am guessing you are referring to 915. Marque d'elegance or something like that. That wax is especially nice on darker colors.
Yes, it is the Marque d'Elegance. I did not have it in front of me. Yes, it is good on darker colors such as my navy blue car. I find that now matter how well I removed the excess wax, a couple of weeks later, there are still a few traces, but once those have been gone over it is good for a while.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:54 AM   #51
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
The basic steps for a detail are:

1. wash
2. clay
3. polish
4. glaze
5. seal
6. wax
What are your picks for hand applied polish, glaze, and sealers?
Old 09-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #52
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

I never knew it was limited edition, as I'm always able to find it. Great wax though. And reasonably priced.

I really HATE polishing by hand. I have never done a whole car that way. The only times I polish by hand is when I can't get to the area with the polisher, such as under door handles. In that case, I actually prefer Meguiar's M105 though I have used Menz Super Intensive Polish before as well. I find that I really have to step up the aggressiveness when polishing by hand.

For glaze, it would depend on what's going on top of it, and what I'm looking to do with the glaze. If you are looking to fill imperfections (which you can only expect a very slight amount of filling), Then either Meguiar's #7 show car glaze, or Meguiar's D151 reconditioning creme. I personally do not rely on glazes to mask imperfections. I prefer to permanently remove the imperfections.

If you are just looking to add shine/wetness: Chemical Guy's EZ Creme Glaze. Danase wet glaze used to be the big dog for adding wetness, but has been discontinued. There is a Wet Glaze 2.0 out now that is supposed to be better than the original formula, bu tI havent tried it yet.

For sealants, my favorite now is Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection. Havent tried the new MEnzerna Power Lock yet, because the jury is still out on durability.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #53
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

just got done cleaning and waxing the ride. Used Muguiers NXT Sealant NICE!