Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 02-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #61
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Under $20 A Bottle Wine Thread:

Most Petite producers kill the wine by using way too much oak when aging. As is, Petite is one of the most tannic grapes around (small berries with think skins), have no idea why add oak tannins on top of skin tannins that are already big.

What's Michael David? Not sure I've seen that one anywhere.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #62
TheRiddick
Non-believer

TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

OK, found them (Michael David). I know them by their actual wine labels, 7 Deadly Zins and the Earthquake Petite Sirah. The Petite is one of the best made in CA, IMO, and although in the $30 range (at least here) is a great bottle for the price. The Zin is very good as well.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:18 PM   #63
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Will have to look up the Earthquake and give that a shot. Just finished off a bottle of their Petite Petit which has 15% Petite Verdot blended in with the Syrah. Really enjoyed that as well, my wife loves it. $20 + 1, so sorry if it doesn't fit the thread.

rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #64
jonharky
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jon
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
jonharky will become famous soon enough

Casillero Del Diablo is a great bottle of wine that I have been able to pick up for about 10 bucks in MI
Attached Images
File Type: gif casillerocab_btl04.gif (6.7 KB, 273 views)
jonharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #65
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

I've had this as cheap as 7.99 on sale (which is insane, I'd buy 10 cases at that price now), but for 12 bucks and under this is a great Chianti. One of the few wines I really like that I can't get here anymore and have to order from NJ. Clean flavors, well made, I've had the 04, 05 and 06 and all are nicely done.

A Spanish wine that is worth looking for is the Mas de Bazan Crianza. Had a bottle at Rioz Brazilian steakhouse on the weekend and was very impressed for a bottle running 26 bucks in the restaurant. I expect you'd pay 9-12 in stores, although it is hard to find online at a place that will ship to VA. Don't know why but I've only seen the 00 and 04 online. We had the 00 .. could still go a few more years.

Last edited by SeanGAR; 02-15-2009 at 07:02 PM.
SeanGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #66
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Oh, and I HATE Brett except in lambic beers. Had a Crozes Hermitage recently that was absolutely undrinkable due to Brett. A tiny bit I can deal with .. but this was nasty.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:59 AM   #67
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Parker most likely scored it high :-))
Old 02-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #68
BC-Axeman

I just got back from Paso Robles and scored a big win. There is a small family winery and vineyard near San Miguel called Rainbow's End. They make wines in a style I really enjoy. Rich, fruity, high alcohol from hot grown grapes. Their wines are usually $20 a bottle. They are closing up the winery so all the cases of everything they have are $60 a case. I got a merlot, a port, a cab sauv, a petite syrah and something else I can't remember now. $5 a bottle. They will be closed in a month. Sometimes you just hit it.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #69
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

I am not much of a white wine drinker, although I do indulge now and then. My friends have sent me a recommendation on the following, advising that it is an exception wine.

2007 Kendall-Jackson "Vintners Reserve"
California Chardonnay

"Thanks to Jess Jackson's extraordinary agricultural empire of top-notch vineyards sprinkled throughout the state of California, the 2007 Vintner's Reserve Chardonnay is entirely made from estate fruit. It is 100% barrel-fermented, and aged five months with 100%malolactic, an incredible fact considering the volume produced. This cuvee seems to get better with each vintage as winemaker Randy Ullom is a virtuoso at producing such high quantity / high quality wine. Purchasers should be sure they are buying it from a retailer who stores it properly as this is a serious Chardonnay. Notes of melons, honeysuckle, and lemon oil along with remarkable flavor and texture are found in this wine, which can be purchased for under $15 a bottle. It is best consumed during the first 1-2 years of life."

~ Robert Parker, Wine Advocate, 90 Points

Retail Price: $13.99 a 750 ml bottle. It is often found for $10.95
Old 02-24-2009, 11:00 AM   #70
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Here is another great buy according to a friend who pasted this on to me.

Delas Freres "Saint-Esprit" Cotes-du-Rhone 2007

Wine Advocate: 90 Points - The amazing 2007 Cotes du Rhone St.-Esprit (75% Syrah and 25% Grenache) reveals a northern Rhone orientation, but it is loaded with spice and black fruits, and displays a beautiful opulent texture as well as a gorgeous finish with impressive purity.

Price: $9.99/$10.99 at most retail outlets!

Unfortunately, I could not find a bottle of the Chardonnay I posted about just above. Has anyone tried it?
Old 02-24-2009, 03:07 PM   #71
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
Unfortunately, I could not find a bottle of the Chardonnay I posted about just above. Has anyone tried it?
Its a supermarket/drug store wine here in CA (I am serious).
Old 02-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #72
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

HUpmann Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Its a supermarket/drug store wine here in CA (I am serious).
There is nothing wrong with that! This is an under $20 bottle of wine thread.

Have you tried it?
Old 02-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #73
12stones
Yo Mama is so...

First Name: Ricky
Trading: (1)
RA MarineCorps (Disabled Vet)
12stones will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I just finished my last bottle of the following with dinner tonight. I had purchased six bottles, around Thanksgiving time, last year. This is a wonderful wine, at a great price. It can be had in the $10/$12 range, although, it's becoming hard to find now days. I'll be looking for a few more bottles this coming week.

Penfolds, 'Koonunga Hill', Shiraz Cabernet, 2006 - an Australian offering.
Picked up a bottle of this two weeks ago and opened it last night. Not bad. Will be having another tonight.

Glad I found this thread.

I'll have to add Dynamite Merlot 2005. Very, very nice.
12stones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #74
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with that! This is an under $20 bottle of wine thread.

Have you tried it?
I like Chard on a dry and crisp side, this one has sugar in it.

If you want a real bargain without a point score attached, try a bottle of Toasted Head Chard, beats the ones you posted about, at least in my book. Should be $10-14 per bottle and widely available.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:26 PM   #75
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Quote:
I like Chard on a dry and crisp side, this one has sugar in it.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/newrep...reply&p=254901
If you want a real bargain without a point score attached, try a bottle of Toasted Head Chard, beats the ones you posted about, at least in my book. Should be $10-14 per bottle and widely available.
Not a fan of the oaky-malolactic style chards such as toasted head.

In fact, I hate them with a deep and burning passion.

I don't drink whites much, but the last Chard that I liked was the Hogue unoaked I bought at their tasting room in Washington a few months back. It was a bit under 20 bucks if I remember right.

Had the Falchini Chianti Colli Senesi Colombaia 2006 recently ... side by side the Farnetello, I prefered the Falchini, which cost a buck or two more per bottle.

Oh, and not a fan of the Mark West Pinot Noir 2007. Not terrible but huge snore factor.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #76
ChicagoWhiteSox

anybody who posts here a fan of Wine Library TV with gary? This guy gives the best reviews on wines heres a link http://tv.winelibrary.com/
Old 02-24-2009, 10:18 PM   #77
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGAR View Post
Not a fan of the oaky-malolactic style chards such as toasted head.

In fact, I hate them with a deep and burning passion.
At the price discussed, under $20, you won't get much in the line of dry and non-malo. Plus, its the style being discussed here, so I only obliged and between the KJ and Toasted Head I will take the latter, for sure. Sold who knows cases of it in my days in wine retail.

2 years ago I was at an Chivago offline with a bunch of wine geeks and someone brought a Magnum of Chablis that is no longer imported here, sadly so. The bottle had about 8 years on it already. I was lucky enough to be sitting next to the guy who brought it and while the rest of the crowd was concentrating on 5 incredible Champagnes (the likes of Salon, vintage Deutz, vintage Billecart-Salmon and others, which I also partook of), he and I pretty much finished that Magnum of Chablis before moving on to other stuff. Incredibly enough, the bottle was not expensive, roughly $80 (for a Magnum) and I was told there is a chance it will be brought in again by another importer.

I would recommend a few St. Verant to the guys here, but I see their taste preference is not there. But these wines are tasty and affordable, although not oaky and are crisp.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:22 PM   #78
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

I like Morgante Nero d'Avola IGT Sicilia
Old 02-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #79
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
anybody who posts here a fan of Wine Library TV with gary? This guy gives the best reviews on wines heres a link http://tv.winelibrary.com/
Know him well, he stayed at my house 3 years ago on one of his trips to CA. Nice dude. I think there are no more shows being taped?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:28 PM   #80
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Know him well, he stayed at my house 3 years ago on one of his trips to CA. Nice dude. I think there are no more shows being taped?
Hes been taping all last week and now monday and tuesday this week. He seems like a down to earth guy. Does he smoke cigars?