Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 03-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #141
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: Starting to like wine...the Red version

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Greg, I don't think there was a need to.

I do like a number of OZ wines, but they are either obscure/not widely available or expensive as hell (try Clarendon Hills for size). Anything below $10-12 price point, I stay away from, Far away.

See if you can find a bottle of Bogle Petite Sirah in your neck of the woods. Should be around $12 (or maybe even cheaper, I've seen a number of CA wines selling for less in FL than here). Come to think of it, any Bogle or Sebastiani offerings should provide for a clean, well made wine at an affordable price.

Also, one bottle you really need to try, especially with summer time coming, is Bonny Doon Pacific Reisling, just slightly chilled. Not the Icewine you had, but a great wine as aperitif as well as with food (Asian or some spice). And I have seen it sell at $8 per in FL (Miami area). If that is not abailable, try Fetzer Gewurtztramminer or Beringer Moscato (both in the $6 range), but that Bonny Doon is a great buy in all respects and beats many wines at double the price.
Was able to buy a bottle each of Fetzer Gewurtztramminer and Beringer Moscato at the local Wal-mart. I think the Moscato was like 4 bucks and the Fetzer was like 12 bucks. I like em ok, but the wife really likes the moscato. Also have some moscato and rieslings coming from our friend at church. I find that I like the free stuff really good (just kidding, but free is good) I think I will be with wine like I am with cigars. Will prolly have a few that I always go back to but will continue to sample and try different kinds and brands.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #142
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Can any of you wine nerds recco a good Pinot Noir? Under $20 preferably. Going to a wine party tonight and would like to take a couple bottles of decent booze and leave the Franzia at home :-)
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #143
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Well..I ended up with a Bogle Petite Syrah, and 2 Pinot Noirs- Battle Creek 2007 and Castle Rock Columbia Valley 2007. ALL were freakin fantastic.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #144
ChicagoWhiteSox

I hope this thread can get going again.

1)Torres Gran Coronas Cabernet Sauvignon
2)St. Francis Old Vine Zinfandel
3)Saint Cosme Côte du Rhône

My question...Can anyone list some great value bordeaux from 2005?