Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #1821
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Photography Thread

What TJarv failed to state at the outset was that he preferred to use Am@zon so that he could use
his large collection of gift cards. Shot my whole rap out of the water. Yours too, it would seem, Mychal.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #1822
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
What TJarv failed to state at the outset was that he preferred to use Am@zon so that he could use
his large collection of gift cards. Shot my whole rap out of the water. Yours too, it would seem, Mychal.
But I do appreciate all the help Justin Brad and Mychal
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #1823
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, I realize that sounded harsh, not meant that way. I just have no advice for the typical Am@zon
purchase other than plain old research. At Am@zon I can't find a super-deal on a camera that has fallen
out of style, or something that is a trade-in, etc. It is going to come down to two things, I think. Do you
want to shoot top quality video TOO or are you looking for a dedicated, excellent still camera. That seems
to be a real linchpin. A lot of companies stumble when trying to keep up with the Joneses, forcing a HD video
camera onto a still camera and therein crippling low light capabilities due to chip capabilities. You will likely not
find a HD video capable still camera that produces top notch pics in a variety of light levels. And certainly not
for 200 bucks. The other thing is the importance of image quality as a primary factor. You can get a dozen good
cheap superzoom cameras if all you want is zoom and versatility regardless of pixel-peeping specs. You can buy
JUST for what kind of batteries power it, I used to choose only cameras that used AA batteries. I also choose
only cameras that save data on SD cards.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #1824
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

I know he wanted to go to Amazon to buy his camera, I would strongly suggest against it. It seems Tony that you do not know what your really want in a camera and heading down to your "local" (not best buy, not even ritz) but a locally owned high end professional camera store and talk to the guys there and play with what they have. Maybe even rent a few of the lower end cameras they offer. (mostly only rent high end pro level cameras) That will give you a great idea of what you are looking for and most places will give you the rental cost towards your purchase.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #1825
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAbbott View Post
I know he wanted to go to Amazon to buy his camera, I would strongly suggest against it. It seems Tony that you do not know what your really want in a camera and heading down to your "local" (not best buy, not even ritz) but a locally owned high end professional camera store and talk to the guys there and play with what they have. Maybe even rent a few of the lower end cameras they offer. (mostly only rent high end pro level cameras) That will give you a great idea of what you are looking for and most places will give you the rental cost towards your purchase.
I've never seen any place rent out P&S cameras.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #1826
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

This one does. http://www.borrowlenses.com/category/point_and_shoot I hope this helps.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #1827
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

He picked up the S8200.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:03 AM   #1828
TJarv
In it to win it

HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
He picked up the S8200.
After my gift cards and paying for 2 day shipping, its gonna cost me a whopping $25
Old 08-19-2012, 12:40 AM   #1829
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJarv View Post
After my gift cards and paying for 2 day shipping, its gonna cost me a whopping $25
Old 08-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #1830
TJarv
In it to win it

HUpmann

Camera came in just now
Old 08-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #1831
OLS
Suck It

I ended up buying this camera after sending TJarv the link to it. It was a one of a kind
item at B&H, and now it is a none of a kind.....$180 and its the cleanest used camera
I ever saw. Not a blemish on the screen or the lens.

I like the combination of the manual zoom and the choice of either manual focus or autofocus.
In practice its a lot more work than I am used to, so spoiled by a superzoom lately, but when I actually
take it out for a walk or on a trip, I have no problem believing that I will dig it. All my 58mm filters
are useless, haha. Its as close to a DSLR as I think you can get in a bridge camera. The low light
performance is about perfect in relation to what I am used to. All the controls you need on the camera
are on it with only the obscurities hidden in menus.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #1832
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation

A few recent shots....

Old 08-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #1833
OLS
Suck It

I can't take a pic yet, but maybe there is someone who can answer this question without a pic.
I have a tulip type lens hood that is marked Fujifilm...it looks like anormal tupil hood, but one side of the hood
has a slide-out section to actually open a square hole in the tulip petal. Not sure why you would want this, since
blocking the sun is the goal.... anyone know why this item would have such a feature?
Old 08-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #1834
jkim05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (17)
PL
jkim05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I can't take a pic yet, but maybe there is someone who can answer this question without a pic.
I have a tulip type lens hood that is marked Fujifilm...it looks like anormal tupil hood, but one side of the hood
has a slide-out section to actually open a square hole in the tulip petal. Not sure why you would want this, since
blocking the sun is the goal.... anyone know why this item would have such a feature?
It gives you access so you can rotate a circular polarizing filter.
jkim05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #1835
OLS
Suck It

I never would have figured that one out.....luckily I HAVE a CPF, so I will test that, lol.
Thanks JK
Old 08-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #1836
OLS
Suck It

Old 08-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #1837
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Any suggestions for a tripod in the $75 range? Do not need something to stand up to hurricane force winds, but do not want something that will fall apart either.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #1838
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Any suggestions for a tripod in the $75 range? Do not need something to stand up to hurricane force winds, but do not want something that will fall apart either.
What will you be putting on the tripod? What kind of camera. I'm looking at the Induro AKB1 or AKB0 and those run $160 and $140 respectively. I wouldn't trust my DSLR on a tripod much cheaper than that. You may be better off getting a used tripod so you'd get more bang for your buck.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #1839
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Looking at renting at least these two lenses for my trip to New England in October.
https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/nik...o-dx-for-nikon
https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/nik...c-for-nikon-dx
Old 08-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #1840
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

Is anyone every looking for critique when posting their shots? Or just sharing? if you are looking for critique maybe post it so at least I will know if you want any advice or not...