Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
shopkins82 is on a distinguished road
Default Will you overlook construction quality for taste?

Short:

When buying a cigar either repeatedly or in a full box, how willing are you to overlook somewhat consistant (maybe 1/4 or 1/3) mediocre construction quality if the flavor profile is consistant and particularly enjoyable?

Long:

I'm still a fairly new smoker, been lighting up decent handmades for around 2 months now. I find I like heavy amounts of sweet and smooth flavor without a full-body. There are more expensive options that find this balance, but cheaper smokes with this profile are sometimes ahrd to find. I've found one smoke that I particularly like, Baccarat The Game in pretty much every size (haven't tried the Connies), but of the singles I've purchased about 1/4 tends to have a loose draw and loose ash. I still enjoy the flavor and the smoke as a whole, but the loose-draw examples tend to be a bit spongier on initial inspection, produce less smoke on a given draw (which seems counter intuitive, more air should equal more combustion?), and the ash falls off quicker and blows off or scatters more easily. I can't see any visible indicators to know I might be getting a losse example, but it's evident at pre-light draw.

Should I consider buying a box of 25 at roughly 50% below the price I'm paying for singles if 6-7 of the box may have what appears to be sub-par construction? Again, even when I get a "dud" it's still an enjoyable smoke, just not quite as great as the majority with an average draw.

What are your thoughts, either on the general question or this particular stick?
shopkins82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Will you overlook construction quality for taste?

I can overlook anything except a tight draw, since that tends to trigger a migraine in me. If you can get a good deal on smokes you enjoy I say go for it.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

A lot of times counter-intuitive is spot on.
When a cigar has a rumpled, loose-fitting wrapper or a tiny crack or hole, you would be surprised on what a
severe effect that has on smoke production. It may combust, but something about that irregularity in the
wrapper gives you as much AIR as smoke in the draw, leading to the "illusion" of less smoke production on
a draw that seems fine. If in the end you care less about quirks than you do money, go for the cheaper option.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

I personally don't care if a retarded gorilla builds a cigar with a mallet if it tastes great and does not have a tight draw. I like a loose (free) draw in my cigars.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
lilninjabuddy
Cigar Ninja

First Name: Derek
Trading: (2)
Montecristo
lilninjabuddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
I personally don't care if a retarded gorilla builds a cigar with a mallet if it tastes great and does not have a tight draw. I like a loose (free) draw in my cigars.
I would pay extra for one made by a retarted gorilla.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I think good construction compliments a great tasting cigar, but if the cigar is delicious I don't care about the construction.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

I'm leaning towards picking up a box. The loose draw duds aren't the end of the world... definitely not something I'd pitch, just a minor ding to the otherwise overall enjoyment. I might try to find a smaller gauge punch to use if I feel a particularly spongy/loose example.

I'm spending $4-$5 each locally for singles of the Baccarat Rothschild Natural and they would be around $2.28 each in a box of 25 purchased from Mike's Cigars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilninjabuddy View Post
I would pay extra for one made by a retarted gorilla.
Maybe they use them as the "machines" that roll Backwoods... it seems like it would actually be harder to roll them all rough-looking than rolling them uniformly.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Tough call.

Flavor is everything, but I've found that poor construction leads to issues with the smoke, and if that's true I have a problem with it.

I could overlook it in a single stick, but I wouldn't buy boxes of a brand if it couldn't find one torcedor who could roll a cigar properly. In the long run, that speaks volumes about the brand.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

If the construction issues don't cause a problem with smoking the stick, it's not a big issue with me. I've heard guys get all bent out of shape over a vein in their wrapper. I could really care less how it presents itself cosmetically, I understand cigars are a hand-made item.
Usually the tightest, prettiest ones are the ones that cause the most problems.
(Ain't that the truth?)
Old 04-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #10
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Even if 4 of the box are to loose to smoke, you are coming out ahead on price for the rest. I would go for it, for a savings of 50%.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
If the construction issues don't cause a problem with smoking the stick, it's not a big issue with me. I've heard guys get all bent out of shape over a vein in their wrapper. I could really care less how it presents itself cosmetically, I understand cigars are a hand-made item.
(Ain't that the truth?)
Old 04-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
(Ain't that the truth?)
This made me literally laugh out loud...
Old 04-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopkins82 View Post
I'm leaning towards picking up a box. The loose draw duds aren't the end of the world... definitely not something I'd pitch, just a minor ding to the otherwise overall enjoyment. I might try to find a smaller gauge punch to use if I feel a particularly spongy/loose example.

I'm spending $4-$5 each locally for singles of the Baccarat Rothschild Natural and they would be around $2.28 each in a box of 25 purchased from Mike's Cigars.

Maybe they use them as the "machines" that roll Backwoods... it seems like it would actually be harder to roll them all rough-looking than rolling them uniformly.
watch cbid. these can be had for 1.00 each (or less)
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Draw can actually have an effect on flavor. If its too loose the cigar can quickly get too hot and if its too tight you may not get much taste at all. As far as the appearance and the burn, as long as the burn is not running down the smoke I can deal with some unevenness.

But to actually answer your question, I would definitely choose taste over construction.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
I can overlook anything except a tight draw, since that tends to trigger a migraine in me. If you can get a good deal on smokes you enjoy I say go for it.
This. What good does good flavor do if you can't get any of it from the cigar. The same holds true if it falls apart entirely. You can't smoke it if it's in pieces.

If the draw is good, but the burn isn't great, minor wrapper problems, aesthetic problems, etc, I don't care. In fact, if I can get it for less, that's a bonus and may even go out of my way to buy more. A good example of this is the Gran Habano Vintage 2002. They are pretty ugly and look fairly sloppy, but taste decent for the price.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #16
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
Draw can actually have an effect on flavor. If its too loose the cigar can quickly get too hot and if its too tight you may not get much taste at all.
I've been able to smoke the loose sticks to the nub... they get harsher a bit sooner (maybe 1/2" sooner) but not to the point that I wouldn't finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
watch cbid. these can be had for 1.00 each (or less)
I'll keep my eye out. They have some 5 packs of the Churchills and Luchadores right now, but they're going for around $3.50/stick after shipping. The Rothschild and Petite Corona seem to fit me best in terms of gauge preference and smoke length... though I may pick up a box or two of Connies to keep in my desk at work for the random times I want a lunch-break or afternoon smoke.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #17
LigaPrivadaT84

Flavor matters much more to me than construction.
If rather smoke a delicious cigar that is falling apart than a beautifully constructed cigar that tastes like ass.

Side note: I find cigar reviews that give equal points for construction and flavor misleading.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #18
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

I wouldn't expect ANYONE to overlook taste in favor of great construction, but I was curious as to how many people would overlook construction flaws (not purely cosmetic, but not falling-apart or too-tight-to-draw either) as long as the taste was there. I'm glad to see the pragmatic approach seems to win-out.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #19
lilninjabuddy
Cigar Ninja

First Name: Derek
Trading: (2)
Montecristo
lilninjabuddy is on a distinguished road

I really don't see how the taste could be there in the right way if the structural integrity wasn't there. I'm not really an expert (I'm barely a novice frankly) when it comes to the science behind cigar smoking, but it seems to me that since most of the flavor is imparted by the smoke picking up flavor from the oils as it's drawn through the cigar, it would be unlikely that a cigar with weird air pockets, or one that was too tight, would be able to impart flavor in a way that a cigar rolled properly would.

I could be wrong though! Often am!
Old 04-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #20
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Two words, HUpmann Naturals.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote