Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 07-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Netflix Change...

My $11.99 Netflix plan (unlimited streaming, unlimited DVD/Blu Ray's one at a time) is changing. Starting in September it is going up to $17.98 -- $7.99 for DVD/Blu Ray one at a time, and $9.99 for streaming...

Guess I am going to drop the streaming for the time being... If they had a better/more current streaming selection I would keep it, but very limited titles makes it too expensive at this price...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: Netflix Change...

You get an e-mail about it? Just wondering if I need to check my (almost) dormant AOL email acct!
Old 07-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

The online browsing selection is GARBAGGIO! This will hurt them.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

I was miffed at getting this as well. For now, I'll keep both, but the streaming better improve- or my Roku better improve- or else I'll drop it.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I like the streaming selection. Haven't heard about the price increase though. That sucks.

EDIT: I read an article saying that their facebook page is flooded with complaints, so maybe that will do something. A 60% increase is a joke.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/23562...firestorm.html

Insert quote here.

Last edited by Starscream; 07-12-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

I got the same thing. Looked at Blockbuster and they are no better. I like the streaming for shows. We are, for example, watching old episodes of Futurama while waiting on the DVD turnaround. Works for us.

The new price sucks. They obviously feel that they are in the driver's seat. The massive system-wide outage of streaming last week makes the timing look like they don't care one bit.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

This sucks big time..
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

I dont see how they can increase the price. Anyone have experience with Hulu?
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

In addition to the price increase that will drive me away, they keep monkeying with what is, and what is not available for streaming. One week, a movie is streaming, the next, it's not. Plus, too much older shows that ARE NOT streaming, but should be. A price increase would put their service out of my "need to have" category!
Old 07-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
In addition to the price increase that will drive me away, they keep monkeying with what is, and what is not available for streaming. One week, a movie is streaming, the next, it's not. Plus, too much older shows that ARE NOT streaming, but should be. A price increase would put their service out of my "need to have" category!
All of this.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
stumm729

Almost a 200% change since last year. Terrible. I might drop the whole thing on principle.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #12
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

I got the email today. This is their second substantial price increase in less than a year. I'll dump the streaming part in a few weeks (once I finish watching the Battlestar Galactica series). The problem with their streaming service is there's nothing current on it. It's mainly older movies and productions, and even then it's pretty limited. Just not worth the added cost to me.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #13
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Got the email today too. Since I haven't streamed anything in months and barely watched the movies I have gotten, I may just drop it all together.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #14
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

It will be interesting to see if the price increases are related to the bandwidth agreements or the content providers charging more.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #15
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledou View Post
It will be interesting to see if the price increases are related to the bandwidth agreements or the content providers charging more.
A lot of these companies get caught up in painting an ever rosier picture to Wall Street in terms of growth and profit, and end up letting their accountants take over. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:35 AM   #16
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

NEWSFLASH: Greedy CEO runs company to the ground with decision.

First the offer a great service at a great price, put Blockbuster out of business, and run a HUGE membership drive, then raise the prices...
Old 07-13-2011, 06:00 AM   #17
Gargoyle
Got Coffee?

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (7)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
Gargoyle will become famous soon enough

I'll be dropping the streaming as well. Very limited availability and I get more options as part of my free on demand movies with my cable company.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:24 AM   #18
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

BTW - I do the streaming only as it works great with the limited selection for my 6 year old and the price for it did not increase...yet.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:35 AM   #19
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
NEWSFLASH: Greedy CEO runs company to the ground with decision.

First the offer a great service at a great price, put Blockbuster out of business, and run a HUGE membership drive, then raise the prices...
They really don't have competition anymore.. Once Blockbuster started closing I had a feeling Netflix would raise their pricing.

However it is understandable considering just for them to expand their digital library they will pay a ton just for licensing.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:49 AM   #20
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

The email I got said the unlimited streaming was going up to 7.99 a month, with the 2 DVD/Bluray I have currently at 14.99. This does wind up being a $5 increase over what I am paying now. I've been a netflix customer since 2003 and I've no plans to change that now. Their customer service has always been helpful whenever I've had a problem and that is worth the price of entry for a product I use.

I think this is based more on the fact that they are being charged more for the digital streaming rights by the content providers. When they started streaming, they were the only game in town and could dictate prices. Now there are several more (Amazon, Hulu), with additional players getting into the business as well, and the studios feel they can get more money.