Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
In an electric smoker, you can get a dark and/or heavy smoke because the wood smoulders rather than burns. Smouldering being an incomplete combustion, and as stated previously there are factors that can make it worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Very, very pale, not even gray. Sometimes I have to double check to make sure it is working...
IMO, that's excellent.

Every brand of electric smoker is different. Some smolder the wood, others burn it off nicely. Hence why I said "can" and not "will", some are terrible, some are great.

I seem to recall that you have a commercial/food service grade electric smoker, no?
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #182
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I seem to recall that you have a commercial/food service grade electric smoker, no?
I've seen my model used in restaurants.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #183
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Wow, I would'nt even think about using that little wood chips. I use at least 4-6 cups of soaked chips for 4 hours of smoke per pork shoulder in my old Barell smoker.
You can't compare a barrell smoker's wood demands to an electric.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #184
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Perhaps I used the wrong term when saying Barrel smoker. It is not the side by side hinged lid smoker. The description is below as I previously posted. Many refer to them as an Electric H2O smoker.
And yes, I do use more than a few oz of chips in my Electric Smoker. Cant imagine using less than 4 or more cups for 3-4 hrs of smoke.

Quote:
My Barell smoker (top loader) is electric with a temp controled reostat dial. Not charcoal or gas.
Quote:
Mine is the upright Barell, top loader, 2 racks-one on top of the other with a water/drip pan below the racks and the Electric heat element below the water/drip pan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
You can't compare a barrell smoker's wood demands to an electric.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #185
LooseCard
not wrapped too tight....

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
RyJ
LooseCard will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Perhaps I used the wrong term when saying Barrel smoker. It is not the side by side hinged lid smoker. The description is below as I previously posted. Many refer to them as an Electric H2O smoker.
And yes, I do use more than a few oz of chips in my Electric Smoker. Cant imagine using less than 4 or more cups for 3-4 hrs of smoke.
We also call them "Capsule" shaped as well. But you're explaining it fine for me.
I have a charcoal-driven Weber, tend to smoke cooler than most (taking a lot longer).

I understand science, and use that for my understanding. The smoke penetrates - and continues to penetrate - until the meat is too cooked to allow more to penetrate.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #186
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Well I am a complete newb to smoking but just got a new smoker (pics in another thread) and will be starting off with a pork butt tomorrow.

Any tips and tricks are appreciated.

BTW after reading this thread and many others it looks like fruit woods, hickory, mesquite etc. are rare and hard to come by for most. Well I know for me down here in Texas it isn't that hard. We have all kinds. So if any BOTL out there would like some apple, appricot or whatnot and are willing to pay cost and shipping just let me know and I will go look to see what is available.

As an FYI for that I recently purchased 1lb of apple chip for $4 at the store.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #187
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

TX is for sure the center of smoking woods in USA.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #188
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Well I am a complete newb to smoking but just got a new smoker (pics in another thread) and will be starting off with a pork butt tomorrow.

Any tips and tricks are appreciated.

BTW after reading this thread and many others it looks like fruit woods, hickory, mesquite etc. are rare and hard to come by for most. Well I know for me down here in Texas it isn't that hard. We have all kinds. So if any BOTL out there would like some apple, appricot or whatnot and are willing to pay cost and shipping just let me know and I will go look to see what is available.

As an FYI for that I recently purchased 1lb of apple chip for $4 at the store.
Here was my first pork butt thread...may help you out.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19926

One bit of advice...do not move the pork butt around at all. You do not want to damage the bottom bark which holds the juices in or the butt will dry out.
tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #189
kydsid
Ditat Deus

kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Thanks Tux and Steve for the tips.

I was up at 6am this morning to start the smoker and put the butt down.

Also smoking some sausage that just came off for a snack since the butt won't be done for another 25 degrees. And of course some homemade beans under the main course.

By null, shot with N95 at 2010-02-20

By null, shot with N95 at 2010-02-20
Old 02-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #190
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Looks good!

I cook my beans under my butts to catch the flavorful drippings as well, but be carefull if you have much salt in the rub you are using. I had some really salty beans once!
Old 02-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #191
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough

looking good!
Posted via Mobile Device
tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #192
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Steve thanks for the advice. My Dad has had heart disease since I was 12 and I cannot really stand much salt in my diet as a result of having very little in my diet since that time. So my rub that I just threw together on a whim has about a teaspoon of sea salt. Should be good I hope.

PS. A Sausage samich on italian hogie with bbq sauce goes nicely with an Anejo.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #193
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Old 02-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #194
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Question: How much fuel is normal on a 11-12 hour smoke?

I will be at about 15lbs charcoal, 6-8lbs of mesquite for smoke this morning by the time I am done.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #195
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

That is an impossible to answer question... as every smoker is different.

Quote:
Question: How much fuel is normal on a 11-12 hour smoke?

I will be at about 15lbs charcoal, 6-8lbs of mesquite for smoke this morning by the time I am done.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #196
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Okay well 13.5 hours later I have pulled the pork butt and it is resting. The beans taste marvelous but next time I need more water. There are some beans that are a little tough despite the 14 hour soak last night I gave them.

Nevertheless I am ready for the next one. Went to the store and came back with Pecan, Apple, Cherry and Oak chips, 30lbs of mesquite and hickory lump charcoal and 4 inch by 6 inch mesquite rounds and some chips from a friend will be here tomorrow..

Smokin Gator, wouldn't be interested in a trade of some wood chips for some of those rubs I have read about on here would ya??
Old 02-22-2010, 07:08 AM   #197
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Okay well 13.5 hours later I have pulled the pork butt and it is resting. The beans taste marvelous but next time I need more water. There are some beans that are a little tough despite the 14 hour soak last night I gave them.

Nevertheless I am ready for the next one. Went to the store and came back with Pecan, Apple, Cherry and Oak chips, 30lbs of mesquite and hickory lump charcoal and 4 inch by 6 inch mesquite rounds and some chips from a friend will be here tomorrow..

Smokin Gator, wouldn't be interested in a trade of some wood chips for some of those rubs I have read about on here would ya??
How do you intend to use the chips in an offset smoker? I have a Brinkmann SnP and I have tried using chips before and noticed no difference.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #198
kydsid
Ditat Deus

I'm new to this I don't know if they will provide any difference. But here they are cheap and readily available so worth experimenting. The pork butt was smoked with mesquite and apple. To me there is some difference as compared to the local bbq joints. Might be I used more or less smoke them they do I don't know. Only way to find out is keep smoking.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #199
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Use canned beans if doing baked beans under the butt. You'll be able to knock out some of the hours too. Just pull them when they are to your liking. Even 8+ hours on canned beans at those low temps works.

You'll find most BBQ joints are lighter on the smoke than most BBQ fans want, but you have to make something that pleases the most, so they go light.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #200
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
I'm new to this I don't know if they will provide any difference. But here they are cheap and readily available so worth experimenting. The pork butt was smoked with mesquite and apple. To me there is some difference as compared to the local bbq joints. Might be I used more or less smoke them they do I don't know. Only way to find out is keep smoking.
Well the only way I could think of to use the chips is to make a foil bomb out of them. Otherwise they get totally lost in the fire. But even then the foil bomb did not seem to produce the amount of smoke I like. Then again I am mainly a stick burner in my offset.