Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-08-2009, 01:27 AM   #1
eldondo

Default La Méthode de Jacques Puisais

Some years ago there was an article at a German board (it reappeared some days ago) which described a method of lighting up a cigar (which was published before in the "Havanoscope" in '99):

La Méthode de Jacques Puisais
It describes that Mr. J. Puisais, director of the french institute for taste, thinks that due to the heat of the flame and the difference of temperature between foot and head of the cigar while lighting up a cutted cigar there will be a suction caused by the stack effect and the accruing fumes will be partly sucked into the cigar. In his opinion this will influence the taste of the cigar strongly negative. His recommendation is to cut the cigar AFTER lighting up and to blow through the cigar before you take the first draw, to remove all "impurities" from it.

What do you think about it? Do you have any experience with this method?

Heiko
Old 01-08-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: La Méthode de Jacques Puisais

I never heard of this
Old 01-08-2009, 01:49 AM   #3
SmokeyNL

Only one way to find out, give it a try and let us know
Old 01-08-2009, 02:52 AM   #4
eldondo

I tested this theorie with two Bolivar Petit Corona.

My sense of taste connoted me that the cigar that has been cutted before lighting up had some biting tastes in the beginning... ok, it tasted as I know it from the experience. I really recognized it after I lighted up the second one uncutted and blew through it before the first draw. The taste was much more "smooth"... and in this context you saw that the other one was more biting....

I lighted both cigars with a soft lighter flame (no jet flame) and took a long time to set it on fire....

I hope others will try it too and share their experiences with us....

Gruss Heiko
Old 01-08-2009, 05:23 AM   #5
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

I have heard this and do plan on trying this method.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

So I had read about this method on another board when looking for "taste" techniques. I searched and found the same info was posted over here, so I'll continue my thoughts here.

For a while now I knew there was something funky about how the first 3rd or even half of my cigar was not tasting quite like the last 2/3 rd's or second half. It was a charring taste that had me rank some cigars lower than I might have. So in my ongoing study of taste I ran across the method the OP has listed, the "Puisais method" I guess it can be called. The first time I lit a cigar this way, I noticed that right away the same cigar which had tasted charred or even bitter before now tasted like the last half did.

Now I wondered if this was a one time phenomenon and decided I wouldn't post my results till I had tried it with a good number of familiar smokes and repeated the results. I feel I can now say throughout a variety of cigars and lighting in this method all have tasted MUCH better. To try and put it into words would be to say; If you were to rank a smoke a solid 7 due to the last half tasting so good where as the first half didn't, with this method you would then start at 7 and build after that point. I had particular troubles with Punch CC's tasting like burnt oak leaves for the first half. Now after using this method, they taste "on" from the first puff.

Granted this method takes a great deal longer time to start a cigar, but imo the results are far worth the effort. I will most likely be using this this method from here on out (unless I just want to get a stick burning IE; at a herf so I can be next in line at cornhole )

I want to add, I haven't tried this yet with a torch flame. I have only used soft flames (ST Dupont or matches). But I will be experimenting to see if a torch flame will make a difference. I'll post my results soon enough.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:34 PM   #7
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough

I've heard of this before, but not for any scientific reasons - I had just heard some guys do it this way. I guess I'll have to try it. I'm not a "taste expert" or anything, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Though I've always thought the first puff was usually the tastiest. But maybe that's just my oddballity.
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:08 AM   #8
SmokinApe
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
SmokinApe has a spectacular aura aboutSmokinApe has a spectacular aura about

Kinda off topic but.... I have found that the initial puffs taste better if the cigar is lit using a soft flame ISO a hard flame... Less "charred" and "harsh"
SmokinApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road

It makes sense so I'll have to give it a try .
Old 11-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

I've heard this and tried it... I almost burned my wrist in the process, but I didn't notice much of a difference in flavor. I didn't do it to both cigars at one time, so it may be worth another test. That said, my lighting method doesn't involve a draw until it's fully lit, so I agree with the concept but may not take it to that level.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough

Though I hate the magazine, I always thought this video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOem4JswMCk

Was sort of the epic cigar lighting video.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #12
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanaspus View Post
Though I hate the magazine, I always thought this video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOem4JswMCk

Was sort of the epic cigar lighting video.
I have heard of this before and I believe it was from this vid on the CA site.

One disadvantage of this method is not being able to test the draw before lighting up. Is that a big deal? IDK. Anyone?
Old 11-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #13
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post

One disadvantage of this method is not being able to test the draw before lighting up. Is that a big deal? IDK. Anyone?
Good point! If I get a plugged cigar, I'll throw it back in the humidor or a dry box.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #14
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trinidad

Quote:

I too thought this would be a problem and so far have not run into yet. But if I do, I have a really nice draw poker to fix the problem.

I do want to add that while the "3 match method" is a nice one, it's not the same as the "Puisais method". The main importance of the Puisais is in the blowing smoke out first. The 3 match just claims to not cut before hand but doesn't address the issue of blowing out first. This is key in using this method. Not only should you wait to cut it till the end is properly lit, but the first puff or two should be blown out, instead of in.

In my own method I have combined the two:

1. Light cigar foot with a soft flame. I use about 3-4 matches and in between each new match, I wave the cigar around helping to "stoke the fire".

2. After I am satisfied with the foot and the cherry on it, I then cut the head and then blow out 1 or 2 good times, just as you would do when purging a cigar (minus the lighting of the gases).

3. Smoke and enjoy.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:03 PM   #15
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough

Quote:

If you can afford to be shooting a video at Davidoff NY, then a bad draw means chuck it and light another.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #16
mikehicks456

This peaked my interest so I tried the method listed in the first post. My test cigar was a small one, a Partagas Spanish Rosado Santiago (4.18 X 36). The difference in taste for first inch was obvious. Less charred flavors and more of the cinnamon I’m used to. I smoke a lot of these cigars and was surprised by the difference. I will definitely use this method more often. YMMV.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:58 PM   #17
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

I have used a very similar method for a few months, where I cut the cigar, blow out through it like through a straw, then take a pre-light draw to test it and taste it. I then toast the cigar to light it, then I blow out again once more before finally taking a drag. This method seems to cut down on the harshness and has the added bonus of allowing me to test the draw and get a pre-light taste. I tried the Puisais method and found it to be a tiny bit more smooth than my normal method, with the only draw back to it would be having to adjust the draw after lighting the cigar. I think I will continue to experiment with the Puisais Method with cigars that I know well and know what to expect from in the draw department, while I will use my own method for sticks that I suspect will have some draw issues.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #18
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Matthew
Trading: (4)
paris1129 is on a distinguished road

I look forward to trying this method out.

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.
paris1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #19
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

I'm firmly in the skeptical camp on this one.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #20
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
I'm firmly in the skeptical camp on this one.
What is it about this method in which you are skeptical about?