Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 10-28-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
B.L. Sims

Default Meer lined briars. Gimicky or legit?

Let me preface this with a confession. Im lazy.
Ive only been smoking pipes for a few months and im hooked. I love to smoke. Clean? Ream? Build cake? Not so much.

So, ive seen meer lined briars on a certain e-tailer for a decent price and im looking to move up from my MM's to something I wouldnt mind taking out in public. I like the maintainance free and dry smoking aspects of the MM and from what I understand, something with meer would net me near the same results. It seems like a good idea, I just dont see alot of discussion about them.

Thoughts?
Old 10-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
Yardgnome

Default Re: Meer lined briars. Gimicky or legit?

I've not tried a meer lined briar, but I love my SMS meer, I smoke 3-5 bowls a day out of it, the only cleaning I do is running a couple pipe cleaners after every bowl and using an old t-shirt to wipe down the inside of the bowl every night.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.L. Sims View Post
Let me preface this with a confession. Im lazy.
Ive only been smoking pipes for a few months and im hooked. I love to smoke. Clean? Ream? Build cake? Not so much.

So, ive seen meer lined briars on a certain e-tailer for a decent price and im looking to move up from my MM's to something I wouldnt mind taking out in public. I like the maintainance free and dry smoking aspects of the MM and from what I understand, something with meer would net me near the same results. It seems like a good idea, I just dont see alot of discussion about them.

Thoughts?
Hey Bro. Thanks for posting this, I've been wondering about this, too.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

I see nothing wrong with meer-lined briars, although I do not know if the effects of heat on Meerschaum and Briar will be the same. Could lead to cracking, possibly. Again, this is my own thoguht process and not on of an informed individual. I say go for it!
Old 10-28-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
Martel

I'm not sure it would be quite as easy to maintain as you think... although the bowl is lined with meer, the shank isn't, and would probably collect almost as much goo as a regular briar. (Speculation here, I've never owned one.) Most meerschaum lined pipes that I've seen are less expensive pipes, so I perhaps a meerschaum liner might be a good option for a less than optimum piece of briar.

Cheers,
G
Old 10-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (11)
HUpmann
Pat1075 is on a distinguished road

Peterson used to make some of these and so did dunhill and barling so three of the greats. But that was post transition barling so I guess only two of the greats. Either way. The idea is do make up for a less than ideal piece of briar by lining it with meer or to provide a secondary material that will (if properly maintained by wiping it out and preventing a cake) prevent ghosting from tobacco to tobacco. However as it is meer it is still subject to its ups and downs like not liking cold weather or rain.
Pat1075 is offline   Reply With Quote