Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 12-27-2016, 06:21 PM   #361
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Sous vide

First cook in in process. Pork loin at 140 for 1.5 hours, and carrots at 185 for 1 hour.

Started after work, so it's going to be late. Thoughts on ice bath and then reheat and sear tomorrow?
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:22 PM   #362
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

My wife got me a FoodSaver for Christmas. The next logical step is an Anova.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #363
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnster View Post
First cook in in process. Pork loin at 140 for 1.5 hours, and carrots at 185 for 1 hour.

Started after work, so it's going to be late. Thoughts on ice bath and then reheat and sear tomorrow?
It'll be fine. Reheat everything together at 140.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:23 PM   #364
Alpedhuez55
Fat Bastard

First Name: Michael
Trading: (8)
SP
Alpedhuez55 is on a distinguished road

I did my first Sous Vide cook over the weekend. It was a Eye of Round roast cooked 24 hours at 131*. This is a pretty tough cut but it came out very tender, but not all that juicy. I guess that is the case with longer cooks on this cut. The juices were mostly left in the bag and for a nice reduction sauce. The meat is very good though. The leftovers will be great for sandwiches. Luckily one of the other gifts I picked up for myself was an 8" Victorinox Fibrox Chef Knife. It makes cutting thin slices easy!!!

I need to try this on some NY Strips of Rib-eyes next.
Alpedhuez55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:39 PM   #365
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpedhuez55 View Post
I did my first Sous Vide cook over the weekend. It was a Eye of Round roast cooked 24 hours at 131*. This is a pretty tough cut but it came out very tender, but not all that juicy. I guess that is the case with longer cooks on this cut. The juices were mostly left in the bag and for a nice reduction sauce. The meat is very good though. The leftovers will be great for sandwiches. Luckily one of the other gifts I picked up for myself was an 8" Victorinox Fibrox Chef Knife. It makes cutting thin slices easy!!!

I need to try this on some NY Strips of Rib-eyes next.
Did you use any salt on your roast? I find that salt dries out meat on the longer cooks, and for those cooks where i have either reduced or left out the salt, the roasts come out very juicy and tender.

Using salt on the shorter cooks for steaks and the like does not cause any problems.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:51 AM   #366
Alpedhuez55
Fat Bastard

SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Did you use any salt on your roast? I find that salt dries out meat on the longer cooks, and for those cooks where i have either reduced or left out the salt, the roasts come out very juicy and tender.

Using salt on the shorter cooks for steaks and the like does not cause any problems.
I did use a little salt with it but not as much as I normally would have. I will keep that in mind next time I make a roast with a longer cook time. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:14 AM   #367
Flynnster

Just tossed in a small bottom round roast. Plan is 132 for about 12 hours.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:25 AM   #368
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Dom: That's Some Delicious Looking Food, Brother! You Need To Change Occupations!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:43 AM   #369
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

Did my first cook yesterday. A whole tenderloin lightly seared, immersed than seared again. It was perfect medium rare. 125F for one hour seared in cast iron. Yummy for sure.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:27 AM   #370
8lug
Smoking with the Chief

First Name: Mark
Trading: (14)
Partagas
8lug is on a distinguished road

This maybe a dumb question but how do you know when a steak or roast is cooked to med rare without taking its internal temp?
8lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:31 AM   #371
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lug View Post
This maybe a dumb question but how do you know when a steak or roast is cooked to med rare without taking its internal temp?
Sitting in the water bath for 1-4 hours pretty much guarantees your internal temp will be what you've set the device at.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:40 PM   #372
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

Second cook today. Grape tomatoes with olive oil, balsamic, basil and s&p. 130F for 30 minutes. Chilled for later.
7 or 8 fingerling potatoes sliced lengthwise with olive oil, garlic, vidalia onions, fresh parsley, big nugget of unsalted butter and s&p. 190F for one hour. Chilled as well.
Have a chicken roasting now. Just before it's done I'll reheat veg. and serve.
Gotta say it smells wicked good in here. (As we say!)

Last edited by Tio Gato; 01-02-2017 at 03:43 PM. Reason: forgot the butter
Tio Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:13 PM   #373
Flynnster

Did regular old chicken breasts today, 145 for 2.5 hours (from frozen) and they were very good, just salt and pepper on them for salads throughout the week.

Right now I'm doing Serious Eats glazed carrots and some green beans. 185 for 1 hour.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:29 PM   #374
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio Gato View Post
Second cook today. Grape tomatoes with olive oil, balsamic, basil and s&p. 130F for 30 minutes. Chilled for later.
7 or 8 fingerling potatoes sliced lengthwise with olive oil, garlic, vidalia onions, fresh parsley, big nugget of unsalted butter and s&p. 190F for one hour. Chilled as well.
Have a chicken roasting now. Just before it's done I'll reheat veg. and serve.
Gotta say it smells wicked good in here. (As we say!)
Tomatoes were awesome, potatoes grossly under cooked. Darn internet recipes.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:17 AM   #375
8lug
Smoking with the Chief

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Sitting in the water bath for 1-4 hours pretty much guarantees your internal temp will be what you've set the device at.

With such a varied time frame is safe to say you can't over cook a steak use this method?
Old 01-03-2017, 07:22 AM   #376
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lug View Post
With such a varied time frame is safe to say you can't over cook a steak use this method?
Correct, as it'll reach equilibrium and stay there. However, the longer it goes, the more the texture will change, usually not for the better.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:18 AM   #377
8lug
Smoking with the Chief

Partagas

I just pulled the trigger on the wifi/Bluetooth model. Should be here Thursday.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:09 AM   #378
Alpedhuez55
Fat Bastard

SP

I did my second cook on New Years Eve . This was a top sirloin steak that I used to make Steak au Poivre. The steak was cooked for 2 hours at 131 and came out as tender as a fillet. Moist and very tender. There were not a lot of juices left in the bag, but it was enough to make the sauce. I served it with a loaded baked potato. Then some Tres Lehes Cake followed buy a CAO American Torpedo to take me up to Midnight!!!!

Now I need to decide what to make next!!!
Old 01-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #379
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation

I made the best pork tenderloin I've ever had last night. Cooked two of them (one peppercorn pre-seasoned and one au natural that I did with salt, pepper, oregano, garlic, and butter) at 136 for an hour and a half or so and then seared in cast iron. It was the most tender pork I've ever eaten. I served the medium-rare pork to two people who normally only eat well-done steaks and they both loved it. I don't think I'll ever do a pork tenderloin any other way again.

Also, while the pork was in the bath, I threw in some asparagus with salt, pepper, garlic, red pepper flakes, and butter. Let it sit with the pork for half an hour or so, then when I took the pork out, I added some boiling water and bumped the temp up to 170ish for another 10-15 minutes. Came out great. I don't normally even like asparagus, but this way it had good flavor and didn't have any of that nastiness that I usually associate with the stuff.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #380
Alpedhuez55
Fat Bastard

SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatan View Post
I made the best pork tenderloin I've ever had last night. Cooked two of them (one peppercorn pre-seasoned and one au natural that I did with salt, pepper, oregano, garlic, and butter) at 136 for an hour and a half or so and then seared in cast iron. It was the most tender pork I've ever eaten. I served the medium-rare pork to two people who normally only eat well-done steaks and they both loved it. I don't think I'll ever do a pork tenderloin any other way again.
Actually, I have one of those pre-seasoned peppercorn tenderloins I was thinking of putting on when I get home. But I may just wait until the weekend. I have that same pork fear a lot of people have. My Mom was so afraid of getting sick from it that it was always well done and stringy or else I fear I am going to end up with trichinosis. Hopefully the Sous Vide will help me get over that fear.