Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
Comedian

Default Puff, Puff, Pass.

Okay. I know at all these herf events that a lot of you do the puff, puff, pass thing as a way to sample cigars. Correct me if I am mistaken, of course.

I honestly don't understand this. Doesn't it take a lot more than a few puffs to truly experience a cigar?

Basically, what I'm gettin' at: Is it really worth the saliva swapping? Am I the only one that is kinda grossed out by this idea?

I'd rather swap spit with a woman, not a bunch of guys.. no offense of course to any fellow CA members that play on the other team.

I extrapolated from some of the posts I've seen pertaining to various herf events that it might be considered rude if you don't participate.. wassupwitdat?

Also, for anybody that's ever passed a J around in their youth(or the present ), isn't it frustrating when you put the J to your lips only to find somebody has slobbered all over it? This is my dilemma with the PPF.

Enlighten me, please.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Puff, Puff, Pass.

Yes, this can become somewhat annoying to say the least.
But when you have people bring sticks that are older than I am by a long shot, I think it's worth it.
I'd like to be able to sat I tasted a 1940's Clear havana and enjoyed it (or hated it as it may be) then to say I missed the chance.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

From what I hear sometimes they'll PPP VERY expensive or VERY rare cigars. 50-70's Dunhills/Davidoff CC's that have price tags of $80-$150 per cigar.

But I agree with you and fully understand your reasons not to want to participate in a PPP, I really wouldn't either.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

It depends on the smokes being passed around, and your level of OCD. I don't really give a crap about a tiny bit of spit, especially if it's with a few friends that I know well, and frankly, there are some cigars that are passed around at HERFs that leave a lasting impression of fleeting nirvana even after just a few puffs. It's kind of like like saying, why just have sex with a supermodel if you can't marry her? Because buddy, if that's the closest you can get, you might as well go for it.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedian View Post
Okay. I know at all these herf events that a lot of you do the puff, puff, pass thing as a way to sample cigars. Correct me if I am mistaken, of course.

I honestly don't understand this. Doesn't it take a lot more than a few puffs to truly experience a cigar?
The cigar typically passes from start to completion, so you definitely get to experience the changes.

Basically, what I'm gettin' at: Is it really worth the saliva swapping? Am I the only one that is kinda grossed out by this idea?
It isn't always worth it, but why take the chance of missing out on a great cigar you may never be able to sample otherwise? A 1970's DPG I was able to sample recently leaps to my mind.

I'd rather swap spit with a woman, not a bunch of guys.. no offense of course to any fellow CA members that play on the other team.

I extrapolated from some of the posts I've seen pertaining to various herf events that it might be considered rude if you don't participate.. wassupwitdat?
Totally up to you whether you wish to participate. Never saw any comments at any I've participated in if you choose not to participate.

Also, for anybody that's ever passed a J around in their youth(or the present ), isn't it frustrating when you put the J to your lips only to find somebody has slobbered all over it? This is my dilemma with the PPF.

Enlighten me, please.
To each his own, but I'd hate to miss out on a special moment with a special stick.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

First Name: Alex
Trading: (30)
Partagas Army (Disabled Vet)
SNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to all

like stated above.......it happens sometimes but most of the PPPs are a dry experience & getting to try smokes that you never by yourself is worth it IMO
Old 11-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Yes, this can become somewhat annoying to say the least.
But when you have people bring sticks that are older than I am by a long shot, I think it's worth it.
I'd like to be able to sat I tasted a 1940's Clear havana and enjoyed it (or hated it as it may be) then to say I missed the chance.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

There are certain people at certain herfs who you dont question when they pass you a smoke to try. But it certainly is your choice whether to participate or not. I've never seen or reacted negatively when someone declined.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
There are certain people at certain herfs who you dont question when they pass you a smoke to try. But it certainly is your choice whether to participate or not. I've never seen or reacted negatively when someone declined.
I've never declined anything Bob has PPPed!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
Comedian

I see all of your points, and I understand your positions, but I do not think I will participate in one.

Besides that, even though I cannot enjoy some of the massively rare and expensive smokes due to a lack of funds right now, I believe that it is a only a matter of time before I will be able to.

Big dreams! Once I get there, it's free rare smokes for everybody. That'll make up for my unwillingness to partake in the PPP, right?
Old 11-28-2010, 02:57 PM   #11
Comedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
I question everything, so that might be an issue.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #12
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

it is your call. You should never be singled out for not wanting to participate and at the same time you should not make an issue out of it.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #13
DennisP
Come Get It

Trading: (17)
HUpmann
DennisP will become famous soon enoughDennisP will become famous soon enough

No problem in not participating. For those that do, remember to dry lip the cigar though.

There is a constant rotation of cigars being passed at the S.H.I.T. herfs. Sometimes people don't participate, no big deal. I usually do but have no problems skipping a cigar that didn't do much for me on later passes.
DennisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #14
Comedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
it is your call. You should never be singled out for not wanting to participate and at the same time you should not make an issue out of it.
I'm not making an issue out of it, bub, just wonderin' what the fuss is all about, that's all.

ぼくわにほんごへたです。。。

日本語お話しますか
Old 11-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #15
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedian View Post
I'm not making an issue out of it, bub, just wonderin' what the fuss is all about, that's all.
okay Bub. But I was stating that if offered a cigar in a puff pass that you should not make an issue of it at that time.

okay Bub?
Old 11-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #16
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

I never participate in a ppp, for two reasons: hygene and like you said, you can't judge a cigar on a few puffs anyway.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #17
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

I try and make sure when Bob passes me a cigar, I wet that son of a bish so he won't want it back.
Adriftpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #18
Superbad
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (53)
PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about

I PPP'd a 50's clear havana at EPIC, I had. It was a really good cigar, and I wanted to share it with the group. Sometimes this might be the only chance people will have to try something like that.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #19
kafreeman
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
kafreeman is on a distinguished road

Seems kinda gross... but... as long as everyone doesnt slobber all over it
kafreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #20
Superbad
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (53)
PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about

Just drink lots of liquor and any germs don't have a chance!