Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 09-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #21
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tongue Bite..Va\Per recommendations?

I guess it's a bent apple.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #22
TXSmokey
huh

First Name: Richard
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
TXSmokey is on a distinguished road

to prevent tongue bite try drinking a hot or warm beverage while smoking, red wine also helps prevent tongue bite for some people. Make sure not to pack your bowl to tight or too loose. to treat tongue bite try some aloe vera juice, and/or biotene mouthwash.

as far as a vaper recommendation, I like orlik golden sliced, and Missouri meerschaum country gentleman
TXSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:55 PM   #23
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

First Name: James
Trading: (2)
WaRevo is on a distinguished road

WOW so strange. It is a MM Cob not the gentleman, But Not only was the pipe the same I was smoking some Orlik just getting ready to upload what is in my pipe.... Where are the Cameras I feel like I am on the Truman show LOL

James

WaRevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:49 AM   #24
TXSmokey
huh

Montecristo

we're always watching
Old 09-24-2014, 06:04 AM   #25
TXSmokey
huh

Montecristo

also, nice choice of baccy and pipe
Old 09-24-2014, 10:50 AM   #26
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

I have 2 country gentleman pipes. In fact last night I just tried to fill up the bottom of the bowl on one of them with some pipe mud to see if I can improve the burning characteristics. Based on what I've read, I think I may have used too much water though. It seems people have the most luck when they make a very thick paste. Back to the drawing board!
Old 09-24-2014, 11:56 PM   #27
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

So I think drying the tobacco is key for me. I finally dried it out to the point where it actually felt too dry, but wasn't fragile or crumbling. If this were a cigar wrapper, the cigar would be unsmokable by this standard, but it seemed to work rather well in the pipe. The smoke was noticeably cooler, was easier to keep lit and tasted oh-so-wonderful. I also noticed that the ash was white, whereas before there was a lot more dark charcoal looking pieces. I assume it's because it's burning all the way through now.

Thank you!
Old 09-25-2014, 05:57 AM   #28
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
So I think drying the tobacco is key for me. I finally dried it out to the point where it actually felt too dry, but wasn't fragile or crumbling. If this were a cigar wrapper, the cigar would be unsmokable by this standard, but it seemed to work rather well in the pipe. The smoke was noticeably cooler, was easier to keep lit and tasted oh-so-wonderful. I also noticed that the ash was white, whereas before there was a lot more dark charcoal looking pieces. I assume it's because it's burning all the way through now.

Thank you!
Bingo!!! I wondered if that might be the problem. Tobacco is often over humidified for storage so it does not dry out. AND, dare I say it, water is cheaper to produce than good tobacco? OK, that is the cynic in me.

Peace of The Lord be with you.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #29
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Bingo!!! I wondered if that might be the problem. Tobacco is often over humidified for storage so it does not dry out. AND, dare I say it, water is cheaper to produce than good tobacco? OK, that is the cynic in me.

I wondered this too. I wonder how much tobacco do you actually get in a 50g tin after drying? It seems like it would lose quite a bit of weight.

Anyways, this has really opened up a whole new world of tobacco experience for me! I *really* enjoyed that GLP VaPer in my new cob. Even though you don't get billowing plumes of smoke as you do with a cigar, it's really very tasty and sweet. I also think I may need to give my pipes a good cleaning. Do you guys build a cake on your cobs? I have quite a bit built up on a few of mine and I wonder if I should try and ream it down some. How much char flavor does this impart to the tobacco?

Lastly, I think my cadence is still pretty fast. I take very tiny puffs more frequently, but I cannot let the pipe rest for 30-45 without it being at high risk of going out. I'd say maybe 15-20 seconds is what I have been averaging during resting periods. I am determined to practice as much as possible in hopes that it will become somewhat autonomous so that I don't feel like I'm having to fret over it too much.

Thanks again all!
Old 09-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #30
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
I wondered this too. I wonder how much tobacco do you actually get in a 50g tin after drying? It seems like it would lose quite a bit of weight.

Anyways, this has really opened up a whole new world of tobacco experience for me! I *really* enjoyed that GLP VaPer in my new cob. Even though you don't get billowing plumes of smoke as you do with a cigar, it's really very tasty and sweet. I also think I may need to give my pipes a good cleaning. Do you guys build a cake on your cobs? I have quite a bit built up on a few of mine and I wonder if I should try and ream it down some. How much char flavor does this impart to the tobacco?

Lastly, I think my cadence is still pretty fast. I take very tiny puffs more frequently, but I cannot let the pipe rest for 30-45 without it being at high risk of going out. I'd say maybe 15-20 seconds is what I have been averaging during resting periods. I am determined to practice as much as possible in hopes that it will become somewhat autonomous so that I don't feel like I'm having to fret over it too much.

Thanks again all!
Moisture loss isn't as much as you'd think, but it is significant. The other thing is, it does not age well without the moisture, nor does it stay as fresh without the moisture. I let the tobacco I am going to put into a pipe dry out a bit, outside the tin, before I pack my pipe.

As for cake, about an 1/8 of an inch is plenty. If you get more than that, a reaming is necessary - briar or cob.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Todd
Old 09-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #31
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

I've often wondered if tobacco is processed at 18% or so moisture, what good is it to "dry" it when the ambient RH is 40%, or 90% in my area? It would seem to me to be wetter once laid out for a while. Inquiring minds and such...
Old 09-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #32
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Kurtz View Post
I've often wondered if tobacco is processed at 18% or so moisture, what good is it to "dry" it when the ambient RH is 40%, or 90% in my area? It would seem to me to be wetter once laid out for a while. Inquiring minds and such...
You'd be surprised... I know that humidity here is like 8?% most of the summer and I can rub tobacco out and it will be drier than it was. It just happens.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #33
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

I wish I could smoke in person with a seasoned pipe smoker to see if I'm doing this right.

I think my tongue is just super sensitive to this type of tobacco. I don't know why. I can smoke 6 cigars in a day and have no issues, but a few bowls of baccy and my tongue gets pretty beat up.

I feel like I have to light the dang thing like 5 times and I'm smoking as slow as I possibly can. I also really limit how much smoke I take in. It's very minimal when compared to a cigar. My tongue still feels a bit raw. It's not completely painful, but it feels like similar to when you eat hot food and burn your tongue, but on the tail end of healing. Still a little raw I guess. I guess I'm improving, but still have some discomfort.

Is this something that just takes some getting used to? Does your body (tongue) need to adjust?

I also think the relights might be causing issues, as that seems to be the point at which there is the greatest risk of getting copious amounts of very hot smoke. I tend to try and get an even cherry throughout the top of the bowl, but maybe I just need to take a few puffs and let it do it's thing so as to not torch the tobacco and my tongue in the process?
Old 10-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #34
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
I wish I could smoke in person with a seasoned pipe smoker to see if I'm doing this right.

I think my tongue is just super sensitive to this type of tobacco. I don't know why. I can smoke 6 cigars in a day and have no issues, but a few bowls of baccy and my tongue gets pretty beat up.

I feel like I have to light the dang thing like 5 times and I'm smoking as slow as I possibly can. I also really limit how much smoke I take in. It's very minimal when compared to a cigar. My tongue still feels a bit raw. It's not completely painful, but it feels like similar to when you eat hot food and burn your tongue, but on the tail end of healing. Still a little raw I guess. I guess I'm improving, but still have some discomfort.

Is this something that just takes some getting used to? Does your body (tongue) need to adjust?

I also think the relights might be causing issues, as that seems to be the point at which there is the greatest risk of getting copious amounts of very hot smoke. I tend to try and get an even cherry throughout the top of the bowl, but maybe I just need to take a few puffs and let it do it's thing so as to not torch the tobacco and my tongue in the process?
Everybody's body chemistry is different, so you might be having issues because of that. If I might suggest, go without any tobacco for a few days, cigar or pipe. If you can, a whole week would be very good. You may think you can smoke 6 cigars without affect, but it is not true - it may be subtle, but your tongue is affected.

So, what blends are you having problems with in particular? What brand & what blend?

Sitting with an experienced smoker might be a good idea.

You notice relights cause problems? Usually a relight means you are puffing a little harder, or more forcefully. If you have to relight, first run a pipe cleaner through it (do not remove the bit to do so), this removes any possible remaining moisture, which is usually the culprit of any tongue bite.

Yes, I know, it is a lot to remember.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #35
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Quote:
Everybody's body chemistry is different, so you might be having issues because of that. If I might suggest, go without any tobacco for a few days, cigar or pipe. If you can, a whole week would be very good. You may think you can smoke 6 cigars without affect, but it is not true - it may be subtle, but your tongue is affected.

So, what blends are you having problems with in particular? What brand & what blend?

Sitting with an experienced smoker might be a good idea.

You notice relights cause problems? Usually a relight means you are puffing a little harder, or more forcefully. If you have to relight, first run a pipe cleaner through it (do not remove the bit to do so), this removes any possible remaining moisture, which is usually the culprit of any tongue bite.

Yes, I know, it is a lot to remember.

No smoking for a week!?! BLASPHEMY! You are probably right though. I smoke 2-3 something per day. Cigars, bowls, cigars and bowls. I smoke about 3 times per day.

The VaPer's are the most challenging. GLP Stratford gave me the least trouble. SG St. James Flake and GLP Laurel Heights give me equal trouble I'd say. Frog Morton OTT and GLP Gaslight seem to smoke really smooth.

Last night I had a bowl of Laurel Heights in my MM great dane egg churchwarden and tried to be extra cognizant about the heat. I definitely think the relights lower into the bowl give me the greatest chance of burning my tongue. I can actually feel it burning. I suspect it's because the tobacco is more moist lower in the bowl coupled with the high heat of trying to get it lit. The initial light and small puffs early on do not cause any burning sensation.

I also did not dry the tobacco out as much as I have been, which seems to really impact the combustion. Halfway down the bowl the tobacco starts to become black and charred and hard to light or keep lit. I'm still trying to find that sweet spot, but starting to think going too dry is preferable over too moist, at least for virginias.

This is quite a learning curve compared to cigars!
Old 10-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #36
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

First Name: James
Trading: (2)
WaRevo is on a distinguished road

One thing I am not an Expert, I was going to say maybe a bigger bowl pipe and longer Stem, However you are already using a Churchwarden so could be bowl size. There are just some Tobacco that I can't smoke in a Small bowl. I leave the small bowls for Flake and really dry tobacco. If it is WET at all it don't smoke well and BITES bad. Also I have found that if I dry my Tobacco that is most times wet I can smoke it all to the bottom of the bowl, IF it is wet it goes about 3/4 or little more then just gets to wet in the bowl to smoke. If I want to finish because of the Tobacco I will let it rest and Dry for the day and smoke it as my last bowl at night. Some people that that is nasty but you know what I have been smoking for 25 years and I don't smoke for anyone other then my own pleasure.

I don't know your pipe I assume that the Cob Churchwarden is a small bowl. I would try it in a Legend Cob and see if it smokes the same. I think you will find it don't and the Legend will smoke better with the bigger bowl. Infact may be a different all together experience.

For me I smoke to much and to often. I smoke some that I just can't stand and the next day in a different pipe I love it. Just have to remember the Pipe combo for tobacco. The key for me, I keep my pipes overly clean and use loads of Pipe cleaners on the tobaccos that need them. Some tobacco combos I can go a whole bowl and need 0 cleaners and some I need 2 or 3 uses. Some of my pipes I like them more with the Screw in stems because I can use cleaners all the way to the bowl by unscrewing it without the worry of messing up the briar. I to smoke Pipes and cigars. used to be 4 or so cigars and 1 or 2 pipes However with changing times and what not I now smoke a Cigar a day and 8 to 10 bowls of Tobacco. I could get away with 1 or 2 if I smoked Dunhill 965 or GLP JackKnife more. So far they put me down for the count LOL....

James
WaRevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #37
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

James,

That's a lot of smoking! I can smoke more on weekends, but with school and work I just don't have time to smoke any more, which is probably a good thing for me.

The Great Dane has a larger bowl by cob standards.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #38
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Pipe cleaners are your friend. Use them liberally. Use them between lights.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #39
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Quote:
Pipe cleaners are your friend. Use them liberally. Use them between lights.
I keep forgetting to do this.

Is this still necessary on a Peterson system? How about a filtered pipe? Savinelli will be my next pipe.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:55 PM   #40
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
I keep forgetting to do this.

Is this still necessary on a Peterson system? How about a filtered pipe? Savinelli will be my next pipe.