Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 01-27-2011, 07:15 AM   #1
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default White Cheese Sauce a la Lots of Mexican Restaurants

The Pierogi King of Michigan asked about this yesterday, and I'd hate to say it, but I am sure I
over-sold it. This is NOT going to be just like the mexican restaurants, unless you get luckier
than I did. It will TASTE just like it, but I do not use a double boiler, which results in a grainier
texture (that I do not mind). If you have a double boiler, you should do fine. At the outset,
for those who do not know, a double boiler is a nested, two-pot system in which a small pot
"floats" atop another slightly larger pot with boiling water in it, giving a consistent, low heat to
melting chocolate, cheese, etc. Keeps it from burning or melting too fast, having oils separate out, etc.

OK, cooking 101 out of the way, I bought an 8 lb block of white cheese, labeled at El Supermercado
as "Queso para Quesadilla" or Cheese for Quesadillas. It is not unlike a Meunster or a saltier version
of mozzerella. You can look online to find the various cheeses that are appropriate. If it's called
"Crumbling" or "Grating" cheese, you don't want it. "Part Skim" is not a terrible phrase to see.
However cheese sauce is not just melted cheese. It is said online that you can approach the second
ingredient from a few difft angles. I chose to use an addition of milkfat through...milk. But not
just milk, I picked up "Crema CentroAmericana. This is a stage between buttermilk and Sour cream.
There is Crema Hondurena, Crema Salvador, it seems every country thinks they do crema best and
has a legit market of people who agree. So in a true SuperMercado, it is staggering how many of
these bags of cream there are. At the risk of offending somebody ethnic, they are all the same, lol.
You can also use whole milk. You can use American Cheese with especially good, but salty results.
Something in this poor excuse for a national cheese REALLY makes the sauce work. But I am not
advocating one or the other, I just like the Crema. (Velveeta has not been personally tested, but I bet
it works, too.)

Additionally, get a bottle of hot sauce and a bottle of green sauce, which should be labeled as containing
Tomatillos, Jalepenos and maybe green chiles. You want a fine chop, not a chunky green salsa. Luckily this
seems to be the way most of it comes. FOR ME, I find about 4 tablespoons of the green per pint works well.

Now you have it. In a pint container or small bowl (useful in maintaining consistent melt) mix 85% cheese,
15% thinning agent and the pepper sauces to taste. The green is especially well suited. Melt on medium
stirring about every 45 seconds, then take it out and stir the crap out of it. A cake mixer MIGHT work here,
on kind of a low setting. I THINK too aggressive a beat might keep the cheese chains from properly
separating, making a lumpy sauce. To me as long as I can dip a chip in it, I am OK with the consistency.
Some people will demand pure silk. The stirring/mixing as the cheese slowly heats should be the necessary
step in making the sauce creamy. You will find it takes 4-6 melt sessions to get it close to right. 45 seconds a pop.
In a double boiler sitcho, stirring fairly constantly once melting has begun should yield excellent results.
As I said, in a perfect world, you would want a double-boiler.

I know a lot of people hate reading my recipes cause it's just a long, stream-of-conciousness type deal.
Now you know why I am the way I am on other subjects.

If you can control the chunkiness, bigger bowls are fine, but I find I get the best heating action in
small batches. The slower you melt, the better your silkiness in the end. The $hi+ is good.
Last night I made up 4 24oz containers full to bring to work, where people pay me 6 bucks a pop
for it. I make a thick sauce that could easily be extended almost double at home with the addition
of milk or half and half. Some of that restaurant stuff is awfully thin.

Last edited by OLS; 01-27-2011 at 07:26 AM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
Superbad
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (53)
PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: White Cheese Sauce a la Lots of Mexican Restaurants

Sounds great Brad! The fact that you sell it at work had me

I often use "queso fresco" a white cheese with some other things. Mine isn't really like restaurant queso, but it's good. A lot of the restaurant stuff seems more like plastic than cheese.
I make Cheese fondue often, so maybe I have it down, but I use a little bit of a hot liquid as the base and add my ingredients into it. I also flour the cheese.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Like Bobby...I LOVE the white cheese/queso at my local place. They make theirs fresh as well. Sounds yummy Brad.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Well Bobby, I appreciate the thoughts on that, since as I stated, I have no idea of how to make it silky.
I have plenty of cheese, I will be trying more things.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Well Bobby, I appreciate the thoughts on that, since as I stated, I have no idea of how to make it silky.
I have plenty of cheese, I will be trying more things.
It's probably your heat. Whenever I try to rush a cheese sauce it tends to get gritty. Start low and bump the temp up.
It does sound delicious, though. I'll have to give it a try.
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
OLS
Suck It

I might just go ahead and make myself a double boiler, or buy one outright.
I use the microwave because I hate to wash a lot of extra dishes, haha.
And I have no double boiler.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
I keep telling myself I need to get one, too. Usually right after making a cheese sauce...
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
Superbad
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (53)
PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I don't have a double boiler either, but just like smoking food, low and slow works.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #9
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Brad, I love that stuff at our local Mexican restaurant. They call it queso blanco. I found a similar version sold in a can. It's not bad, but not quite right either. The can says the only ingredients are cheddar cheese, cream, and water.

Not sure if this is the same stuff your recipie is trying to produce. I was thinking I'd love to make some at home, then tweak the recipe to our liking. Might have to give yours a try.

Last edited by 357; 01-27-2011 at 09:31 AM.
357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

The local mexican seafood restaurant makes one that goes so well with the shrimp tacos. I can't figure out what's in it exactly but I think they add lemon to it.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #11
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

This sounds awesome! I'll definitely have to try it out!

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Waiting for the Cliff notes.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #13
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Waiting for the Cliff notes.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
Chainsaw13
Mřřse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

don't know how I missed this post since I requested it. Thanks for posting though. Might have to whip some up this weekend.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #15
OLS
Suck It

In an update, I have found that the much more killer ratio is 2 cups of cheese to 3/4 cup or so of crema.
Man the batch I made Friday night was smooth as silk, with the microwave and stirring like a maniac method.