Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
apNgb

Default Oliva Connecticut Reserve

Cigar: Oliva Connecticut Reserve
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Connecticut
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Origin: Nicaragua
Size: 5×50 Robusto
Price: $78.99 per box of 20, $21.99 per 5 pack from the boys at TexCigar.com

Initial Thoughts: This is one of those changes of pace cigars for Oliva like the Serie V was. Typically known for their medium to full bodied cigars, they introduced The Oliva Connecticut Reserve for the mild bodied cigar lovers. This is a great looking cigar. The color of the wrapper is beautiful blonde color and the band is very nice; A very classy looking cigar in my opinion. One of the cigars however did have a green spot on the wrapper. Lets fire up this cigar and see what happens.

Flavors: The Oliva Connecticut Reserve starts off with a little blast of earth and spice but mellows out a bit to a nice woody buttery flavor that is creamy and nutty. I also get a little bit of the Nicaraguan zing to it which is an earthy, coffee, peppery flavor. The pepper is somewhat surprising because it is supposed to be a mild cigar and I would say this is probably on the low end of medium bodied. As the cigar progresses into the second third the pepper does mellow out and is a nice creamy, buttery smoke. In the final third I think this cigar comes together and encompasses a nice balanced bouquet of all the flavors.

Smoking Characteristics: Draw is good, burn line was nice and even, but the ash was a little flaky though. The cigar also produced a good amount of smoke. It scores okay in this category.

Final Thoughts: When I first smoked these when they first came out I was not a big fan of them. I was expecting a mild bodied cigar instead I got a medium bodied cigar that had a quite a bit of pepper. However, now that I know what to expect from this cigar, it has really grown on me and I have to say this is one of my favorite Connecticut wrappered cigars now. The flavors are great and there are many changes throughout the cigar in flavors and body that really make this a complex cigar. And for about $5 it is a real bargain and I think it is a cigar that all the majority of cigar smokers will enjoy.

Worth a Try: I think everyone should try this cigar
Buy again: In a heartbeat
Enjoyablity: High
Comparable Cigars: A lighter version of the 601 Black, Perdomo Champagne 10th Anniversary, Rocky Patel Connecticut, Rocky Patel Vintage 1999, Nub Connecticut
Old 07-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Oliva Connecticut Reserve

Great review! This is 1 of my current favorites!
Old 07-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
tobii3

Quote:
Originally Posted by apNgb View Post
Worth a Try: I think everyone should try this cigar
Buy again: In a heartbeat
Enjoyablity: High
Absolutely!!!

Old 07-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Nice review Adam!!
Old 07-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
dubnick

Very nice review.

Look forward to trying.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
GHC_Hambone

Thanks for the review! Just picked one up today, sounds like I will be enjoying it.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
streetglide

nice review. I enjoy those as well.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
apNgb

thanks for the love guys, keep it comig
Old 07-27-2009, 08:15 PM   #9
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Great review! I just bought a box of the lonsdales b/c they are delicious.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #10
gbum
Feeling at Home

First Name: Asyraf
Trading: (0)
Partagas
gbum is on a distinguished road

very nice review and superb pic.gone through your blog... man..i love your photowork!
gbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #11
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Nice review Adam, I'm glad to you see you and others enjoyed this cigar, but would it be out line to say that these smokes sucked? Hahaha it's true! They didn't do much for me imho. Glad to see people liked them though.
Adriftpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:23 PM   #12
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I'll have to try one sometime. I don't usually like Connecticutt wrappers, but this one may be worth trying. Thanks for the review.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:17 AM   #13
apNgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda View Post
Nice review Adam, I'm glad to you see you and others enjoyed this cigar, but would it be out line to say that these smokes sucked? Hahaha it's true! They didn't do much for me imho. Glad to see people liked them though.
No that's not out of line. We all have different profiles that we enjoy and cigar reviewing is subjective. Thanks again guys!
Old 07-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #14
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
I'll have to try one sometime. I don't usually like Connecticutt wrappers, but this one may be worth trying. Thanks for the review.
I liked the review, well written. I'm not usually a Conny fan but I like the Olivas a little bit, so I may hunt one down.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:39 AM   #15
scooter

Thanks for the nice review.