Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 04-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Memphis in May International BBQ Contest

Yep, it's only two weeks away now. Anybody off the boards comin into town for this? One can never tell.
This looks to be a super duper cigar blowout for me, I use cigars as currency to ensure my share of great
BBQ and basically all I can drink once I find my spot. My cooking friends are very generous.
Still firming up my plans, but I'll certainly be there. It's only a few miles away, lol.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
1badhog07
Still Watching My Back

First Name: gustavo
Trading: (2)
HdM
1badhog07 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Memphis in May International BBQ Contest

Lucky bastage!wish i could join you,to me the cue down here sucks!
Old 04-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

One of these years I need to attend this. I"m partial to KC style of BBQ (OK Joe's is my fav) but willing to try the others. The one time I had Texas brisket I wasn't that impressed, but I'm thinking it was the restaurant. Maybe I"ll pick up a couple flat cuts at the butcher this weekend and throw em in my smoker.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Never cooked MIM... but I am pulling for my buddy Myron Mixon to set the record with a 5th whole hog championship!!
Old 04-30-2010, 06:52 AM   #5
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I talked to the man that showed me why I needed my own margaritaville machine, and he is going
to come into town, so it's on like donkey kong. He and I did this every year when we both worked at
the same TV station. Then he up and moves to Nashville...and he has all the good connections. So if
he was staying put, I was going to do my smoking at home. Now it looks like I will be quite drunk on Saturday
and up to me ears in smokers. I tell you, BBQ competitors sure like to smoke cigars. Guess it passes the time.
OK, I am ready...I am packed like I am headed to a herf.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #6
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Wow, that sounds like a great time. Wish I could be there. I will put something in the smoker to honor the event.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Enjoy. Not to offend, but western BBQing is far superior IMO tp the Carolinas and GA. South Carolina evens does BBQ in a yellow mustard sauce, .

Give me Memphis, Texas, etc everyday.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
OLS
Suck It

I ate more than my share, WAY more, of NC vinegar-based BBQ and I am still alive. I kind of try to blend
in and take food the way it comes. (when in Rome) But I will never forget the experience. I do love me
some dry-rubbed ribs. In Memphis there is a place called Tops that chops it like NC but leaves it dry for
you to add your own sauce or not. Not bad. Nothing Memphis-epic. But I prefer good old Brad's Backyard
BBQ fueled by lump charcoal and whatever sticks happen to fall out of trees that week.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

I've never cooked at MIM but I have cooked at the American Royal 3 times. The first two times we finished in the top 100, the third time, we don't speak of. We're a small team by the name of Trash Can Smokers. I would love to attend the MIM but it just hasn't happened yet.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by marge796 View Post
I've never cooked at MIM but I have cooked at the American Royal 3 times. The first two times we finished in the top 100, the third time, we don't speak of. We're a small team by the name of Trash Can Smokers. I would love to attend the MIM but it just hasn't happened yet.
I am just now realizing why spares went onsale today of all days...derh.
I am gonna get a buggy full and then start making plans to get on down there. I guess I am a
unofficial part of a few teams, Marge. I am the part that shows up with the good stuff right
when people need it. I think by the time I get down there, most of the hard part is over for
them and they just want to relax and smoke and drink. What a coincidence. That's what I want!
Old 05-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #11
Partagaspete
I Do Medical Things

Trading: (8)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Partagaspete is on a distinguished road

I went to MIM back in the late 80's when was stationed at Blythville Arkansas. What a reat time and great food!
Partagaspete is offline   Reply With Quote