Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #41
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fourth Annual Fantasy Football for Stakes and the Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaase321 View Post
Only other thing I want to throw out there is:

Consideration of a 6 team playoff for 3 weeks, rather than a 4 team playoff for 2 weeks.

Up to you guys!
I liked the way you did the consolation bracket last year, and I'm good with a 4 team, 2 week playoff. 4 teams is plenty in a 10 team league. The 6th place guy may not even have a winning record, ya know?

I'll see if I can wrangle that waivers thing.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #42
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Aww, dammit. I can't do the waivers like we want. Any waivers at all causes a continual rolling list.
Guys are just gonna have to adhere to the rule we set about tuesday, and we can reverse any pickups guys make outside of guidelines.
I'll look into this more, but it doesn't look promising.
I can edit a roster, so that's good.

Last edited by shilala; 08-01-2013 at 12:00 PM.
shilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #43
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I liked the way you did the consolation bracket last year, and I'm good with a 4 team, 2 week playoff. 4 teams is plenty in a 10 team league. The 6th place guy may not even have a winning record, ya know?

I'll see if I can wrangle that waivers thing.
Ah shiite...I forgot it was only 10 and not 12...4 teams is perfect for me!
Old 08-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #44
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Aww, dammit. I can't do the waivers like we want. Any waivers at all causes a continual rolling list.
Guys are just gonna have to adhere to the rule we set about tuesday, and we can reverse any pickups guys make outside of guidelines.
I'll look into this more, but it doesn't look promising.
I can edit a roster, so that's good.
hmmm...that stinks. As long as everyone actually reads the group rules we should be good unless someone makes an honest mistake, in which case you can just go back and reverse it.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #45
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I figure about a 30% success rate with the rules reading thing. About 30% with the Yahoo setup, too. If we're lucky.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #46
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

Partagas

Quote:
I figure about a 30% success rate with the rules reading thing. About 30% with the Yahoo setup, too. If we're lucky.
Well, hopefully we have better than the 60% signup rate we are at now as well!

Otherwise we will have to do some recruiting!
Old 08-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #47
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Gentlemen, it looks like everyone is coming back this year.
Jarrod poked his head in and said he's playing, but haven't heard from him since.
Cole got in touch with Jeremy, he says he wants to play again this year.
I got in touch with Stephen. He wants to play, but his workload is nuts. He's figuring out if he can make it work and he'll get back to us sometime next week.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #48
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Okay, the first couple big announcements for this season...
The most important is that Cole will be Official Co-Commissioner with me. He's going to take care of tracking all the stuff you dicks never report to him.

Secondly, scoring will now be changed to Standard League Scoring.
I've made all the changes already, please look them over. I'd like to make a few bonus categories, but I'll worry about that later.
Here is where I got the Standard League Scoring Info.

Cole and I are working on a League Manual. It will include all our rules and stuff. Not just pertaining to the league, cause we don't really have any rules, but pertaining to the pass.
It'll help us all understand each other, what's expected, and will help from anyone getting upset over others not taking care of stuff in a timely manner.
I've considered creating penalties for not doing things we've promised to do, like sending the pass along in a timely fashion or getting our entry cigars in, or whatever.
I think that idea sucks.
Instead, I think it's best to agree that all participants exchange cell numbers. That way everyone can gang up and torment whoever isn't pulling their weight. Or we can all help him out. I think it's important that we be patient with each other and realize that life life's everyone. So no penalties.

I've also considered changing this to a Rotisserie League. Stephen has been up my ass about that from day one. I don't have a problem with it if you guys want it. I just think the head-to-head format suits what we do with our betting and all, and I don't know how rotisserie works other than what Stephen has explained.
So that's a pending development.

There's plenty of time to get your wishes heard before the season starts, so let's get to it.
Rotisserie baseball, not football my friend.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #49
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaase321 View Post
However, I would like us to vote on maybe a waiver "cap" (say 20-25 acquisitions). What do you all think about that?
Not a fan. Several of us play defense/kicker roulette, and that would completely submarine that strategy.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #50
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Here's a discussion point that I don't really wanna discuss, but you guys should get a chance to throw input at it.

Team Size.
I'm thinking this...
QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, K, D.
Or this...
QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, K.
Quite frankly, I like 7 guys best. If the TE could be TE/QB/WR/RB that would suit me because there's really only Jimmy Graham and Tony G and a big question mark at Gronk. I guess Pitta got hurt the other day, if he matters. But the TE world is thin, thin, thin.

So 7 guys playing, 5 on the bench (backup QB, 2WR, 2RB I'm thinking) and 2 IR positions is my vote. Lots of Free Agents, no waivers, no waiver order, straight up anarchy.

Last year we fielded 9, had 5 on the bench and 2 IR's.
This year I'd like to field 7, 5 on the bench and 2IR. (Or 3 on the bench and 2 IR. That'd be my dream team but I didn't want you guys to have a stroke over a 10 man team.)
So that'd be 12 guys a team, 120 total, and a really sick field of FA's to work with week to week. I'm also considering how ridiculous the injuries are anymore. The FA field shrinks and shrinks every year because players won't play hurt. That just leaves young, hungry guys to go on and if you keep your ears on you can find some real gems.

Those are my thoughts and what I plan to do unless you guys talk me out of it.
Feel free to b1tch and complain heartily.
I actually liked the starting lineup we could field (QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/K/DEF). Gave a team a lot of options for drafting/waiver purposes. I believe we had 9 starters and 5 bench players.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #51
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Hey kids, unfortunately Stephen just can't play this year. Work is going to be filling up his time and it'll just be too much.
I asked Stephen if we could call on him next year in case we need a replacement, and he said that'd be great.
I'm sorry to see him go, I really enjoyed kicking his ass on a regular basis.

Cole and I are going to begin looking for a replacement. We have a number of guys who have asked about our FF league and a bunch more that we think would be a good addition to our league.
Despite that, if anyone has a suggestion for someone we should consider, please pm Cole and/or myself.
Thanks!!!
Old 08-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #52
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I will not read all the rules. Just saying, this is for fun and the troops. If I need a rule book, there is problems. Its been great the last 3yrs. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just my .

I will still play, but I might have to get reprimanded for breaking rules. Sorry.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #53
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

First Name: Jarrod
Trading: (51)
Partagas
JenksAnejo has a spectacular aura aboutJenksAnejo has a spectacular aura about

Sorry for the delay my dudes, is there a league ID password someone could PM me? Would appreciate it!
JenksAnejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #54
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenksAnejo View Post
Sorry for the delay my dudes, is there a league ID password someone could PM me? Would appreciate it!
You should have an invitation from Yahoo when Scott restarted the league.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #55
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Not a fan. Several of us play defense/kicker roulette, and that would completely submarine that strategy.
Maybe if it was higher...I think the original idea was 35 moves. That would give you cushion and still allow for troop stick penalties if anyone goes over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I actually liked the starting lineup we could field (QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/K/DEF). Gave a team a lot of options for drafting/waiver purposes. I believe we had 9 starters and 5 bench players.
I agree here. In a 10 team league there is plenty of depth to field this. There is plenty of depth at TE to keep it and eliminating the d doesn't help depth and takes out some of the fun.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #56
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

I'm in if you need another

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #57
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Deg View Post
I will not read all the rules. Just saying, this is for fun and the troops. If I need a rule book, there is problems. Its been great the last 3yrs. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just my .

I will still play, but I might have to get reprimanded for breaking rules. Sorry.
Mike, you got it exactly right.
The reason there's a rule book now is because there's problems. Cole and I spend hours chasing people simply because they don't take time to read, follow the league thread to check on developments, don't make arrangements to move the pass along, don't report the winners and losers of bets, don't send their entry smokes, the list goes on and on.
The entire goal, and the reason we're taking the time to put together a short, clear, and concise set of rules is to fix those things that are broke so that he and I can also enjoy the league rather than being mired in suck, trying to keep things ironed out.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Fantasy Football, you guys, and raising smokes for the troops. This league has been a lot of fun at times.
But for lots of reasons, last year sucked. Had Cole not helped me, and not agreed to help this year, I wouldn't have started this league again.
Now that I know this year will be more of the same, I'm not going to bother.
I don't have time to reprimand anyone for breaking the rules, especially when it's caused by not having time to read a page of simple rules.

If someone would please take over the Commisioner duties, that'd be great. I'm retiring. I'll send the pass on to whoever is willing to take care of that. Tony posted that he'd like to play, he can have my spot.
Thanks for having me, gentlemen!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 03:54 AM   #58
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

Scott, my rant was in no way to get you to quit. And by reading your reply, the problem is people not communicating. As commissioner and cocommissioner you and Cole, should just say to the people that couldn't follow the very simple rules, that they are not welcome back.
And tell the people that are in communication is the key. If they know there will be weeks at a time that they can't send an email or worse the pass this league isn't for them.
I am sorry you have had so many problems in the past. I did not realize that many people did not follow a simply rule of doing the right thing and communicating.
Thanks for all your hard work
Coach
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #59
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

HdM

Scott, the league wouldn't be the same without you. If you would like, I can take over with Cole as co-commissioner to help with the league so you could just play and not have to worry about any of the other mess. I could probably do another coolidor for the entry sticks. My only issue would probably be the troop sticks...there is no way I would have room for them and I also have no connections to get them where they need to go.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #60
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

First Name: Jarrod
Trading: (51)
Partagas
JenksAnejo has a spectacular aura aboutJenksAnejo has a spectacular aura about

I'm out if Scott is out.. He's done a fantastic job on keeping everything in order.
JenksAnejo is offline   Reply With Quote