Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-15-2018, 06:57 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Famous Nicaragua Robusto

A few days ago I posted a review of the Famous Nicaragua 3000 Gordo and while browsing through my humidor for more cigars starting with an F I also found this Famous Nicaragua cigar but there’s nothing on their website that remotely looks like this one. Maybe it’s an old cigar, a limited edition, old blend or old ring, I simply do not know.

Here’s what I do know. It was gift from years back, it’s a robusto with a 5×52 size, its a Famous Smoke house blend, it’s from Nicaragua and it has two rings, it’s made by Tabacalera Tropical, the factory from Aganorsa and best known for the Casa Fernandez cigars. Now you might wonder how I know that? That’s simple, the secondary rings says “tropical tobacco”

The wrapper is a medium brown, slightly dry wrapper with two thin veins. It’s actually quite attractive. The construction feels good with a beautifully placed triple cap, the roller must be very skilled. I tried applying a cap once while visiting a factory and it’s hard, very hard. The cigar has two rings, a top ring in red with the Famous logo on a copper color, copper outlines and a darker red on the sides where it says ‘hand made’ and ‘imported’. The secondary ring is green with golden lines and golden letters saying NICARAGUA and white letters saying ‘medium to full bodied blend’ on one side and ‘tropical tobacco’ on the other side. The aroma is faint and reminds me of cocoa powder and saw dust.

I punched the cigar and got a great cold draw that has a dry leathery flavor with some mild minty aftertaste. After lighting I taste a leathery flavor. After a third I still taste the leather but now with spices like cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon. Halfway I taste leather with a little lime and some nutmeg and cocoa. The final third is woody with leather and nutmeg. The cigar gets spicier, stronger and even a little bit harsh. The final puffs also have some nutty and peppery notes.

The smoke is thick and full. The ash is coarse. The burn is reasonable straight. I would say this is a medium bodied cigar, medium full flavored. The smoke time is an hour and fifteen minutes.

Would I buy this cigar again? Nah, decent cigar but I had better.

Score: 88

https://cigarguideorg.wordpress.com/...ragua-robusto/
Old 02-15-2018, 09:42 PM   #2
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Famous Nicaragua Robusto

I remember those! I liked them quite a bit but people weren't really buying them, so they weren't out for very long.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:40 AM   #3
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice
Default Re: Famous Nicaragua Robusto

I remember these as well. The tobacco tasted a little green or bitter with a hint of sulfur. After a year of aging or more they were very good IMHO.