Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2022, 04:36 PM   #1
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice
Default Cigar Events Post Covid - Experiences

Hey all, went to my first brand event at local B&M today and was well underwhelmed. Honestly if I was Davidoff I'd be ashamed one of my brands was sponsoring. It had the typical free cigar per X bought etc and a raffle. But the brand didn't up the stock at the store. Of 5 lines for the brand only 3 where available, and one of them had less than a box of one vitola.

I know the pandemic put a crimp in production and I know I'm not in a big marker anymore, mid Atlantic east coast. But I've been going to events for 25 years. Did the pandemic lessen all events and it was just a shock for me being the first in about 4 years or what?

How's your retailers event experience lately?
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 04:55 PM   #2
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Cigar Events Post Covid - Experiences

Sadly, that's how it's been here in the formerly smoking hot Cincytucky area too.
Old 12-12-2022, 08:45 AM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

The main B&Ms near me have started ramping up the events again. I haven't attended anything recently, but that should change soon. Hoping things keep going in the right direction as far as that goes anyway Jason.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 10:29 AM   #4
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Seems that was that B&M just not stocking up, was the Davidoff rep there because seems like something they should have been on top of well before the event date.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 11:12 AM   #5
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Covid is on the upswing big time. People are getting it left and right. Luckily, it's hardly as lethal, but I expect to see a change in attitude on events like this.

Maybe we're just done with it? Businesses and consumer are willing to take a risk? I could see it going either way unless gov't pushes a new mandates this winter.
Old 12-12-2022, 01:22 PM   #6
kydsid
Ditat Deus

kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Seems that was that B&M just not stocking up, was the Davidoff rep there because seems like something they should have been on top of well before the event date.
Yup, with his 4 or 5 boxes of cigars to give as freebies. No expectation of sales at all IMHO. Which why send an email blast for the brand saying deals on all lines and not even have them.

It was in my view worse than even Covid should have made the event, however I didn't want to assume, hence asking others experiences to see if Covid had really trampled production and expectations that much.
Old 12-12-2022, 04:15 PM   #7
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

First Name: Alex
Trading: (30)
Partagas Army (Disabled Vet)
SNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to all

C-19 is blamed for ALL short comings, but it's just a cold and poor customer service sh*t
Old 12-12-2022, 05:13 PM   #8
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Yup, with his 4 or 5 boxes of cigars to give as freebies. No expectation of sales at all IMHO. Which why send an email blast for the brand saying deals on all lines and not even have them.

It was in my view worse than even Covid should have made the event, however I didn't want to assume, hence asking others experiences to see if Covid had really trampled production and expectations that much.
I was just in KC for work and one of the cigar lounges i hung out in a few times had a drew estate 'event' it was actually just buy a box get swag, buy an expensive box or 2 boxes and get lots of swag, they had stacks of boxes and huge swag bags, have to admit i was shocked at hope much was in the gift bags. They clearly were prepared for their day.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 01:36 PM   #9
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
I was just in KC for work and one of the cigar lounges i hung out in a few times had a drew estate 'event' it was actually just buy a box get swag, buy an expensive box or 2 boxes and get lots of swag, they had stacks of boxes and huge swag bags, have to admit i was shocked at hope much was in the gift bags. They clearly were prepared for their day.

Kudos to Swisher. There's a statement I never thought I'd make lol
Old 12-13-2022, 07:56 PM   #10
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

I don't want to knock swag but us longtime event attendees aren't typically in need of more lighters, cutters, ashtrays, etc. Much rather get five extra cigars with the purchase of twenty count boxes instead. But newbies usually appreciate those accessories.