Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-19-2022, 06:54 PM   #1
trogdor
Still Watching My Back

First Name: marc
Trading: (1)
HUpmann
trogdor is on a distinguished road
Default NC Trials

I've be trying out some more NCs for the first time in years. I'll collect my reviews here so I can keep track of the easier.

When I smoke, I tend to send most every puff out through my nose. I think I'm also somewhat sensitive to nicotine strength.

First up:

Casa Fernandez Anniversary
Started off with a hit of spiciness on the nose, which dropped off quickly to be replaced by some decent tobacco flavor.
1/4 of the way in it got a tiny bit of floral undertones.
At halfway,it had picked up some more spiciness and some harshness in the nose. I also could start to feel the nicotine strength a bit.
The final bits of the cigar gave some interesting milder flavors under everything else, maybe some perfume/florals. I figured out that for me this was a "sipping" cigar, I really had to modulate how much smoke went out my nose.
After I finished, the nicotine finished sneaking up on me and slapped me soundly (but thankfully not vomitously); I had to go take a nap for a half hour.
Overall: OK, but I don't plan to get any more.
trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 07:23 AM   #2
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough
Default Re: NC Trials

You know, the cigars I traded to you are very powerful Nicaraguan cigars. They’re the end game after 30 years of smoking progressively more powerful sticks. If you start there, it’s gonna feel like you got smacked in the face.

Really broadly speaking, the NC countries rank order in increasing strength, Dominican Republic, Honduras, Nicaragua. You’d probably be better off starting in the DR. It’s been a long time since I smoked such a cigar. I used to think Fuente Hemingways were a good choice.

Have fun, I hope.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 08:19 AM   #3
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
You know, the cigars I traded to you are very powerful Nicaraguan cigars. They’re the end game after 30 years of smoking progressively more powerful sticks. If you start there, it’s gonna feel like you got smacked in the face.

Really broadly speaking, the NC countries rank order in increasing strength, Dominican Republic, Honduras, Nicaragua. You’d probably be better off starting in the DR. It’s been a long time since I smoked such a cigar. I used to think Fuente Hemingways were a good choice.

Have fun, I hope.
Good post. Couldn't help think of an analogy for trogdor here: It's like you tried out for the dive team by doing the Triple Lindy.
Old 10-20-2022, 08:59 AM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
It's like you tried out for the dive team by doing the Triple Lindy.
There ya go.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 04:01 PM   #5
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

I do think you may enjoy a Roma Craft Neanderthal. Retrohale those and I think your in for a rush like snorting wasabi.

Take a video please.
Old 10-20-2022, 04:17 PM   #6
trogdor
Still Watching My Back

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post

Have fun, I hope.
Oh yes, I understand the ones you sent were stronger Nicaraguans, that's one of the reasons I wanted to especially try singles of them rather than buying 5 packs.
I've recently had a regular Fuente maduro that was OK, and a Short Story that was decent, but neither wowed me enough to be interested in buying a box.
I've had Nicaraguans that I've quite enjoyed recently - Tatuaje Frank, Padron 3000 maduro, so I still want to explore them more.
And I am having fun! Exploring cigars is a blast!
Old 10-20-2022, 04:26 PM   #7
trogdor
Still Watching My Back

HUpmann

And the next review is another Nicaraguan,LOL.

I dug out my 2007 cab of Petit Tatuaje and lit one up.
Kind of a tight draw, but smokable. I just ordered one of the good draw tools, so hopefully won't have this problem anymore when it comes in.
Some initial spiciness on the nose with undertones of vanilla sweetness. As I get into it more, it's a little reminiscent of the old Boli CEs from the sales back in the day. Quite good, built up to some really nice creamy sweetness with everything else. Overall great cigar, with a better draw it would have been excellent.
Sounds like I need to buy some of the regular Tatuaje line and age them for 15 years again.
Old 10-20-2022, 04:28 PM   #8
trogdor
Still Watching My Back

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weelok View Post
I do think you may enjoy a Roma Craft Neanderthal. Retrohale those and I think your in for a rush like snorting wasabi.

Take a video please.
Old 10-21-2022, 08:47 AM   #9
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by trogdor View Post
Sounds like I need to buy some of the regular Tatuaje line and age them for 15 years again.
I've been saying the same thing lately, been smoking through a cache of 10-12 year old tats now and for the most part they're all delicious, had an NHC from 2012 yesterday and thought it was fantastic. I don't think I have the time/money/energy to stock another cooler with them and wait a decade
Old 10-21-2022, 11:01 AM   #10
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Quote:

Take a video please.

Are they good? I’ve been eyeing them for a long time now but haven’t bit because of the price.
Old 10-21-2022, 04:56 PM   #11
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
Are they good? I’ve been eyeing them for a long time now but haven’t bit because of the price.
I had one last night. I think they are excellent. They are strong which is to be expected but they are good. I like the Cro Magnum, Neanderthal, and Acquitane in that order with Acquitane being my most preferred.

I think the Neanderthal is a super up Cro Magnum.

My two cents
Old 10-22-2022, 10:32 PM   #12
trogdor
Still Watching My Back

HUpmann

Fired up a Padron 3000 natural.

Picked up locally. Pretty peppery on the light. After a few minutes, modulated smoke to the nose yielded pleasant tobacco.
Spiciness faded, just a decent tobacco the rest of the way through. Not bad, but I liked the maduro better.
Old 10-23-2022, 07:25 AM   #13
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I had one last night. I think they are excellent. They are strong which is to be expected but they are good. I like the Cro Magnum, Neanderthal, and Acquitane in that order with Acquitane being my most preferred.

I think the Neanderthal is a super up Cro Magnum.

My two cents
Seconded. Love the Aquitaine.
Old 12-10-2022, 07:48 PM   #14
trogdor
Still Watching My Back

HUpmann

Been a while since I posted here, I haven't had an NC for a while.

Fired up an H Upmann by AJ Fernandez.
spicy nose on the light. Not overpowering, though. Enjoyable with some modulation.
Spiciness dropped out pretty quickly. Strong woody notes now.
Woodiness is melding into more straight up tobacco flavors as it goes past the first third of the cigar.
Not much else going on with it as I pass the halfway point.
Overall an ok cigar that was worth trying, but not something I'd want to buy.
Old 12-28-2022, 10:14 PM   #15
trogdor
Still Watching My Back

HUpmann

Old (15+ years) Partagas black tubo, Toro sized.
On lighting, rich tobacco flavors, a touch of spiciness and sweetness. Slightly floral aroma from the foot.
As the first third winds up it's losing a bit of the complexity, becoming more straightforward.
Halfway through, less complexity still, instead of building to something great, it's petering out.
Let it go out a bit past halfway as it wasn't worth smoking anymore.
Promising start, poor finish.