Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Octavo III *revisited*

This Octavo III cigar was a gift from Henny at Havana cigar in exchange for a review on my blog, which I posted back in 2007. Back in the day I didn't take photo's while reviewing cigars and so I made a list of all reviews without pictures to see if I still had one of those cigars in my collection for picture purposes. I still had one Octavo III left and decided to not just light it and take pictures, but also review it again. The cigar had three extra years of aging and my palate has probably changed since then, as I am a much more experienced smoker now. The Octavo III is a 6x52 toro. The filler is a blend of three different Dominican tobaccos, Olor Dominicano, Piloto Cubano and a third mystery tobacco. The binder is also Dominican and the wrapper is a delicate Connecticut shade leaf. The Octavo brand is a combined afford of master blender Victor Urena and master roller Fransisco Hernandez

The wrapper is pale brown and silky with just a few minor veins. I like the simple yet tasteful band. The construction feels good and after punching the cigar I get a good predraw that leaves a sweet tobacco flavor in my mouth with a peppery aftertaste. The cigar has a sweet wood smell to it.

I taste a sweet coffee flavor and something earthy. After half an inch the sweet coffee disappears and I taste an earth flavor with herbs, the flavors are dry and spicy and on the background I also taste something mild sour. After two inch the flavors change to dry leather only, that gets a little spicy near the three inch mark.

A few puffs later I also taste some wood and hay. The hay flavor becomes dominant with some spices on the tongue in the aftertaste. After two thirds I also taste a macademia nut flavor.

The duration of the smoke is ninety minutes. The draw and the burn are good. I get a decent amount of thin smoke. The firm ash is light gray of color. The wrapped tore at two thirds during smoking, but it had no effect on the draw. I would say this cigar is medium to full flavored and mild to medium bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, these cigars are a bit too mild for me

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 6 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 6 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10