Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Berger & Argenti quad maduro robusto

CLICK HERE FOR A SMALL VIDEO

Like I said in the video, I got in touch with Albert Argenti of Berger & Argenti on facebook and when he heard I was coming to Florida he invited me over to Cuban Crafters to smoke a cigar. I did and he gave me a Berger & Argenti quad maduro double corona which blew me away. At the end of my trip I ended up at Corona Cigar in Orlando and bought a few more of these and the robusto, which was 11 dollar. The cigar is rolled with the patent pending Entubar method.

This boxed pressed 5x56 cigar has a dark wrapper, which is oily and has a bit of a leather look. The band is big, but the bright yellow foot band draws most attentions. I don't see any real veins. The cigar has a unique smell, a bit like charcoal and a barnyard. The predraw is fine and I taste raising with pepper in the aftertaste.

I taste a spicy coffee flavor with a hint of sweet but dark chocolate. The chocolate slowly becomes stronger. After half an inch I also taste herbs and all flavors are full. The chocolate is the main flavor with herbs and coffee in the aftertaste. After a third I taste more herbs and the coffee disappears.

Halfway I taste a little bit more sweetness and dark chocolate. Somewhat later these flavors are accompanied by wood and some nuts. After two thirds I taste more of a nutty flavor and herbs on the background, the flavors are dry. The last few puffs give me some coffee again.

This cigar lasted me an hour and twenty five minutes. The draw was great, just like the burn. The white ash with black spots is quite firm. This cigar is full flavored and medium to full bodied. I got a decent purge. I did hear the cigar burn, sizzling sounds every now and then.

Would I buy this cigar again? I told a Dutch cigar distributer to contact Berger & Argenti, I want to be able to get these cigars in my local cigarshop.

Appearance: 10 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 9 / 10
Old 03-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: Berger & Argenti quad maduro robusto

Thanks for the review Don! I really like these cigars as well

One thing -- people really need to follow the instructions on the yellow lable at the foot... One person I ran into only toasted/lit the nipple and then complained when his cigar did not smoke correctly and tunnled...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Old 03-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Thanks for the review Don! I really like these cigars as well

One thing -- people really need to follow the instructions on the yellow lable at the foot... One person I ran into only toasted/lit the nipple and then complained when his cigar did not smoke correctly and tunnled...
Well, I tried to do that too, then Albert Argenti said "no no no, toast the whole foot"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre3239 View Post
Corona has them
Old 03-01-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Whats the deal with the tube thingy?

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

These are very nice indeed!!
Old 03-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post

Corona has them
I have a couple in my Humi just waiting on me!!! I just wish the price was a little lower. Its an awesome cigar.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Well, I tried to do that too, then Albert Argenti said "no no no, toast the whole foot"...
Al is a great guy -- he is going to be here again in about 10 days; really looking forward to it!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:54 AM   #9
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Whats the deal with the tube thingy?
The whole cigar is rolled 'entubar' style, that creates the tube thingy
Old 03-02-2011, 05:28 AM   #10
thecatch83

Those look amazing! Great color on the wrapper, minimal veins and seems.......I will add it to the list....great review yet again Don!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:18 AM   #11
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Great Review! I need to find these somewhere near me! And thanks for the little video! I like em!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:43 AM   #12
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
The whole cigar is rolled 'entubar' style, that creates the tube thingy
yeah, I figured that ... but what I mean is does it help for anything, or is it only a gimmick?

"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:13 AM   #13
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

uhm, uh, I'll let the experts handle that question
Old 03-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #14
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Great review, Ferd, definitely have to find a few of these to try--sound !

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #15
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Trading: (2)
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

These look fantastic. Some how I remember seeing them and got completly side tracked by a shiney object or something. Thanks to your great picks and review I'm gonna have to seek out a few and blame it on an early birthday gift or something.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #16
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
yeah, I figured that ... but what I mean is does it help for anything, or is it only a gimmick?
I think it does make a difference for this cigar -- I feel I don't have to "work as hard" to taste the different flavors; it adds a level of complexity but in a way that my palette can detect.

If you get a chance give one a try!

Old 03-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #17
PortlandCigarClub

That is a fantastic review! I'm partial to the Berger & Argenti because I'm their rep, but that format and the pictures are great for any cigar.

I wanted to post the details of Al's upcoming visit as well as answer the question of what's with that thingy in the middle.

That 1/4" protrusion from the end is there because it's the best way they could find to demonstrate the new way they're making these cigars. In the history of cigars there have only been 4 patents filed. This is number 4. That protrusion is a 22 ring gauge channel of Jalapa Valley Ligero that is bunched and pressed separately in special molds. Then that is centered into the rest of the cigar. In many ways it's like a cigar inside a cigar. It's no gimmick. It draws perfectly and that sweet Jalapa ligero is centered on your palette.

Al Argenti is coming to the NW next week. For those of you in Washington, we'll be at J&J Cigars in SODO on Thursday night March 10th, 2011 from 7-10pm. We'll have some great deals for everyone that night. Buy 3/Get 1 free, buy 5/get 2 free, buy a box/get 10 and a ticket to go upstairs to the Vertigo Club.

For those in Oregon, keep Saturday the 12th open. We'll be at Cigars on 7th in Eugene from 10AM-Noon, AVVA Cigars in Salem from 2-4pm, and the main event will be at The Mark at the Shilo Inn on Canyon Rd in Portland from 6pm-Midnight. We'll have some great deals there too!
Old 03-03-2011, 08:18 AM   #18
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Thanks for clearing that up