Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2009, 09:50 AM   #81
nozero

Default Re: Stray black lab mix story.

I called Jan last night to check on Sadie. She said she was doing well, but Jan worried because Sadie would just find a corner, lay down and stay there. I told her that I felt that was because she had been on her own for so long, she didn't know what else to do and I bet within a few days, once she's more sure of her new home and companion, she'll be just fine. She was also worried that she would not eat and had not urinated yet. I told her that I didn't see her take in any water yesterday at all, and that she probably had used our backyard "facility" before she was picked up. She was taking her out every two hours, just in case.

Jan it taking her to the vet today, the same vet we use for Rockie, to get a good checking out. I'm hoping she tests negative for heart worms and that her blood work comes back good. Dianne and I checked her teeth yesterday before Jan picked her up. Based on her teeth, Jan said she didin't think she was as old as we thought. I found one tick on her right ear, but it was small and I didn't want to hurt her by pulling if off, I felt that she was probably under enough stress already. To go from being almost completely independant to being confined in a strange backyard was enough.

I had brushed her while she was here and think her being in and out of the rain last week had helped. Her coat looked better and she lost most of her odor. The first time I got to pet her, she had a pretty bad stink and my hands were nearly black afterward. She still needs a good bath, but she looked pretty good considering.

I put up a sign in the lot across the street to thank everybody who had fed and cared for Sadie and to let them know she had found a new home.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #82
nozero

Thumbs up Re: Stray black lab mix story.

Jan called from the vet today and asked to come get the kennel. They can't keep her because she's not yet protected against any exposure so she's going to have to put her in the kennel while she is at work. I got to see Sadie when she came to get it. She was looking good and wagging her tail. She got all her shots and check-up, now we just have to wait for he test results. Vet said she was in good shape!
Old 03-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #83
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozero View Post
Jan called from the vet today and asked to come get the kennel. They can't keep her because she's not yet protected against any exposure so she's going to have to put her in the kennel while she is at work. I got to see Sadie when she came to get it. She was looking good and wagging her tail. She got all her shots and check-up, now we just have to wait for he test results. Vet said she was in good shape!
So far so good Micheal...
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:01 PM   #84
Jbailey
Brewcifer

Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

Quote:
Vet said she was in good shape!
Great news!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #85
nozero

Unhappy Re: Stray black lab mix story.

Unfortunately, Sadie tested positive for heartworms. The vet quoted Jan for her $700 for treatment. Dianne had said $400 - $500 and I thought that was high... I had no idea. Dianne said she'd kick in $50 and Deb and I offered $100.

Please keep Sadie in your prayers. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:04 PM   #86
WyGuy
Boiler Up!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
WyGuy will become famous soon enoughWyGuy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Unfortunately, Sadie tested positive for heartworms. The vet quoted Jan for her $700 for treatment. Dianne had said $400 - $500 and I thought that was high... I had no idea. Dianne said she'd kick in $50 and Deb and I offered $100.

Please keep Sadie in your prayers. Thanks!
That's sad to hear, I'd been following along and everything was looking great! Hope everything works out for everyone!
WyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:21 AM   #87
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

that's some bad news, hopefully Jan can cough up the cash.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #88
nozero

Thumbs up Re: Stray black lab mix story.

From Jan

Quote:
Sadie is doing well, otherwise. She actually ate this morning for the first time. She got a bath last night. She is still very skiddish but she is warming up to me. Yesterday when I went home for lunch, I took her outside and when we went back in the house she just walked right back in the crate. Last night I left the crate door open but she didn’t get back in. When I am home she lays in the entrance to the bedroom, but when I am not home she seems to like the crate. I have been taking her on short walks. Last night some kids were playing and a baseball hit the wood fence and it scared her so bad, we cut our walk short. I am going to keep taking her on walks, increasing the distance a little bit at a time. She is such a sweet girl.

If you want to wait awhile on the money, that is fine. That is so nice of you and Debbie. She is going to be on the preventative for 2 months before the treatment begins. Guess I better get to work!
I was pretty sure Jan new this was a potential problem. We don't like to think about these things but they are very real. I think Sadie will do just fine. The longer Sadie is with Jan, the better I feel about what I've done. I hope to get to see her when I take Jan the money.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:21 PM   #89
nozero

Took the money over to Jan tonight and got to see Sadie. She's been bathed and looked extra pretty. I got to pet her and love on her a bit. We're giving Jan a wire crate we no longer use, as soon as we get a replacement plastic bottom tray, I'll get to see her again then.

Jan said Sadie will be on preventative heartworm meds for two months before her actual treatment begins. I may not post again for a while unless there anything worthy.

Thanks for your support!
Old 03-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #90
ahc4353

Next time maybe a few pics of all the "players" if ur no to shy. Make a great ending to a great story.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:12 PM   #91
nozero

Thanks for the Oprah/Sadie bumps! I think I thanked you all via PM, I didn't miss anybody on purpose!

Respectfully,
Michael
Old 03-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #92
nozero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
Next time maybe a few pics of all the "players" if ur no to shy. Make a great ending to a great story.
I'll take my camera next visit and if Jan does not mind... I just hope the flash won't frighten Sadie! I guess I could try without it...
Old 03-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #93
nozero

Jan says Sadie is doing well, even following her around the house occasionally. She's eating better and today will be her first day to be home alone all day.

Jan sent these pics too! Ain't Sadie a beauty?

Old 03-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #94
ahc4353

Thanks so much for the photos. She is gorgeous!

You have done a wonderful, wonderful thing.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #95
cle_smoker
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Robert
Trading: (1)
RA
cle_smoker will become famous soon enough

Great story and very pretty dog. Is that a white toenail on her back left foot? I don't think I have ever seen that before.
cle_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #96
68TriShield
Got Torque?

Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

She's a sweetie Michael
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #97
nozero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cle_smoker View Post
Great story and very pretty dog. Is that a white toenail on her back left foot? I don't think I have ever seen that before.
Yes, it's a white toenail. I've seen it before on dogs with spots, I don't think it's that uncommon. Our dogs have some not white, but blond toenails mixed in with black ones.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #98
nozero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
Thanks so much for the photos. She is gorgeous!

You have done a wonderful, wonderful thing.
You're welcome! I think she's a very pretty girl!

Thanks! And I feel she's more than worth it!
Old 03-23-2009, 03:40 PM   #99
nozero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
She's a sweetie Michael
Indeed sir!

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #100
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

You really did a great thing, helping to ensure Sadie has a wonderful life for her remaining years