Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2009, 01:57 AM   #61
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: Stray black lab mix story.

I hope there is a way that you can keep Oprah yourself, seems like you two are a match made in heaven.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:34 AM   #62
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

[quote=nozero;287451]

I really wish I could convince my wife that she MAY get along with our dogs. I know Oprah trusts me, so far and I think more than anyone else. I feel as though I'd be betraying her trust if I just caught her and then turned her over to somebody else. What do you think?

QUOTE]

I think if you don't give your dogs a chance to see if they would get along, you would forever wonder if it would have worked out.

I also believe that Oprah would really appreciate staying in your family after your hard work restoring her faith in humans.

Do what you feel best, but I think you know how you'd like this to end.
A lot of us share that same wish.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:44 AM   #63
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

btw happy bday Michael.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #64
nozero

Guess who's sitting in our backyard?

After feeding her this morning and sitting with her in the front yard a couple of times for 10-15 minutes here and there. I opened the gate to the back yard and started scoop'n the poop'n leaving the gate open and trying to go in and out of her view. She became curious and laid down an watched. Then, when I was done I sat, out of her view, in my plastic adirondack chair where I am sitting now smoking the Kristoff Maduro my son gave me. She came about half way back between our houses toward the gate, but would not come back further.

I decided it was time to move. Earlier today I found an old purple collar and matching 4' leash that I think had belonged to Zoe and put it on the workbench on our patio. I left the collar and took the leash and walked toward her. She retreated to the front yard and laid down, so I went over and petted her and scratched behind her ears, then kept scratching with my left hand while reaching for the leash in my right back pocket with my right. I slipped it under her left front leg chest and back up and over in front of her right front leg and cinched it up. I stood up, tugged gently on the leash and said c'mon and she did! She went very, very hesitantly but she walked with me through the gate to the backyard and I closed the gate behind us.

Now she's sitting about 10 feet from me watching me smoke my cigar. I've not called Jan or Dianne yet. I'm still thinking and debating in my head.

Plus, Rockie and Zoe get "into it" ever other month or so. Most often when they are both after the same thing, whether it be a kid on the other side of the fence teasing them through the fence or a squirrel running along the top of the fence or roof. They'll bump then go after each other until I yell or have to go break them up. They've not yet drawn each others blood, but the fur sure gets to flying about.

The last dog Rockie got ahold of was pretty messed up when I got the little guy out of Rockie's jaws. But then, Rockie was IMO protecting us and Zoe. After all, the little guy broke his tether, ran across the street and attacked Zoe. He got in a few good bites, but not breaking the skin on her neck, but he did leave a gash on her lip that bled a litttle. While I was carrying him back to his family he bit my third finger on my left hand.

My wife Debbie just came out and talked to Oprah; Deb doesn't like the name Oprah at all much less for such a pretty dog. She wouldn't go to Deb but she didn't back away either. Good sign me thinks.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #65
nozero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
btw happy bday Michael.
Thank you sir!
Old 03-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #66
ahc4353

Sounds like a great birthday.

Congrats.

Your wife is a smart woman. Name change in order.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #67
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Just a little devious letting the wife choose a new name for Oprah.
That just may work. I like it.

Congrats on the birthday and getting your birthday wish.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #68
nozero

Thumbs up Re: Stray black lab mix story.

A happy ending... I'm both sad and happy and still have a lump in my throat.

Well, I got my birthday wish. Oprah just left with Jan. I called her and she was grocery shopping and said she could be here in 30 minutes. She came over, I took her to the back yard and now Sadie and she got along fine. I put the leash on her and we walked back out front and she didn't put up a fight when I put her in the back seat of Jan's daughters car. Sadie will be visiting the vet tomorrow and Jan said she's probably going to board her at the vet during the day for the first few days so she didn't take the kennel that Dianne had offered. But I told her I'd hold it for her and she agreed she may want it later on.

Jan said she'd keep me posted and I'll revisit this thread and post any news I get.

I didn't get to keep her but I'm confident that she's with somebody who will take good care of her and she's only a few blocks away.

Thanks for reading and caring.

Respectfully,
Michael
Old 03-15-2009, 01:13 PM   #69
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Sorry that you couldn't be the one to keep her, but what you did is really really an awesome thing. At least she has a home now and a place where she will be loved and warm. And she isn't far away so I'm sure you can visit
Old 03-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #70
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

you did an amazing thing Michael.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:23 PM   #71
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

Partagas

That is and was an amazing adventure, Michael. Thanks so much for taking us along on the ride.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:30 PM   #72
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Michael... this was a very enjoyable journey. Thanks for bringing us along!

Happy Birthday! Looks like you and "Sadie" both get a gift today.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:41 PM   #73
heavyd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
RA MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
heavyd has disabled reputation

Nice job, Michael

"You can't get to wonderful without passing through alright." ~Bill Withers
heavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:37 PM   #74
nozero

Thumbs up Re: Stray black lab mix story.

I'm a wuss, I know and I don't care. I got a lump in my throat when they drove off with her and another one when reading your posts. I don't often pray even less for such a selfish one as for Sadie to be happy in her new home. But it comes from my heart and I hope G-d listens.

I called to check on her earlier tonight, Jan said she was acting like she was drugged, she'd find a corner and just lay there. I told Jan I thought that was to be expected and that it may take a few days for her to be more comfortable and be more "normal". She had not peed or pooped since she took her home. I had not seen her drink any water when we were in our front yard, or while in the back and that may be why. I think this may be normal? I'm sure she'll drink, eat, poop and pee when she needs to do so.

Jan had called her and my vet (Rockie's vet, not Zoe's) and is going to get her in tomorrow for a heart worm and other check-up and shots and to hopefully board her while Jan goes to work. I gave her my other vet's number, Zoe's vet, as a back up. Apparently lots of them are busy due to Spring Break.

Dianne looked at Sadie's teeth when she was here before Jan picked her up and said that she didn't think she was as old as we have thought, based on the gray/white on her beard and snout. That made me feel like she'll have more years to be happy in her new home.

I don't ask much, but if you are one who prays, please say one for Sadie? I will be forever in your debt.

I hope to get to go visit her in her new home after she's had time to settle in. I'll post about it...

Well. I'm a year older now and happy with how this has turned out.
Thanks once again to all who have posted in this thread, it has helped me more than you will ever know and for this, I thank you.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:29 PM   #75
RFC

You did everything I would have done, Michael..... except for one thing. I would have kept her. But I'm on 2 fenced acres and have only one other dog, Nanners the wonder dog.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #76
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation

Michael, You saved her Buddy.
That pooch is way better off because you invested yourself in this.
Way too Go!

Prayers sent!
Old 03-16-2009, 06:48 AM   #77
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

You did an awesome job Michael! I'll keep Sadie in my prayers.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:30 AM   #78
nozero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
You did everything I would have done, Michael..... except for one thing. I would have kept her. But I'm on 2 fenced acres and have only one other dog, Nanners the wonder dog.
Thank you. If we had more room in the house and a bigger back yard, there would not have been any question as to whether or not we would have kept her. But she's only a few blocks away...

You take good care of Nanners Captain, she's a beauty!
Old 03-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #79
nozero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savor the Stick View Post
Michael, You saved her Buddy.
That pooch is way better off because you invested yourself in this.
Way too Go!

Prayers sent!
Thank you!
Old 03-16-2009, 09:32 AM   #80
nozero

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning9191 View Post
You did an awesome job Michael! I'll keep Sadie in my prayers.
Thank you!