Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #21
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugill View Post
I'm not concerned about hanky panky or anything like that. There would be three altogether and not a big deal.
His mom married into a family that owns a dealership, he's spoiled, lazy, and I don't care for him.
He never shook my hand or introduced himself, he was afraid to come up and try to talk to me when I was sitting outside in the lawn with a cigar and drink.
And hopefully the days on this puppy live relationship are numbered but likely not until after July 6.
Posted via Mobile Device
Is he an outgoing person or loudmouth? If not, he could be an introvert and shy, which would make the case for him not going up to you and introducing himself. He could have been scared.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #22
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
He never shook my hand or introduced himself, he was afraid to come up and try to talk to me when I was sitting outside in the lawn with a cigar and drink.
And hopefully the days on this puppy live relationship are numbered but likely not until after July 6.
Posted via Mobile Device
You answered your own question. Nope. He stays behind. Further more explain to your daughter the importance of an introduction and not being a weasily little $hit.

Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #23
blugill
Feeling at Home

Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
You answered your own question. Nope. He stays behind. Further more explain to your daughter the importance of an introduction and not being a weasily little $hit.

Agreed completely!
However the decision has been made and it was to keep the peace between my wife and I more than between the daughter and I.
Slug is riding along BUT he will pay for a full tank of gas, a considerable sum since I drive a Tahoe
Old 06-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #24
racerX
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: john
Trading: (0)
racerX is on a distinguished road

Wise choice and one you may be glad you made when the sun goes down on July 6th in Bonner springs. This also gives you an opening to call Slugs folks for a little back ground check.
racerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #25
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

The joys of teenage daughters. I have an 8 year old that's going on 18 in her opinion. First thing is that my daughter won't be leaving the house without said introduction and a full account of where they're going and who they will be with. If they're going to be with friends, I will need phone numbers of those parents to ensure they're aware of the same story. The young man will also go on a walk with me around the block explaining the expectations of dating my daughter in terms of never lying to me, if they're anywhere that something is taking place that she shouldn't be around, they leave and notify me, no drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and she better be home by curfew. Failure to comply will result in him being found floating in my pond from an accidental drowning.

It also just happens that I have a MobileMe account and my daughters phones will be linked. It can give me their location at any moment. Failure to be where they're supposed to be when they say they'll be there will result in me hunting them down and dragging him out by his ear with a pair of pliers.

But that's just me.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #26
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Just don't bury the bodies in your yard, and unless there is video evidence, deny, deny, deny
Old 06-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #27
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Even when I was in my thirties and dating, I took the time to meet my girlfriend's parents, and made it a point to leave them with a good impression of me.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #28
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
The joys of teenage daughters. I have an 8 year old that's going on 18 in her opinion. First thing is that my daughter won't be leaving the house without said introduction and a full account of where they're going and who they will be with. If they're going to be with friends, I will need phone numbers of those parents to ensure they're aware of the same story. The young man will also go on a walk with me around the block explaining the expectations of dating my daughter in terms of never lying to me, if they're anywhere that something is taking place that she shouldn't be around, they leave and notify me, no drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and she better be home by curfew. Failure to comply will result in him being found floating in my pond from an accidental drowning.

It also just happens that I have a MobileMe account and my daughters phones will be linked. It can give me their location at any moment. Failure to be where they're supposed to be when they say they'll be there will result in me hunting them down and dragging him out by his ear with a pair of pliers.

But that's just me.

I like the way this man thinks! After all, we were all teenagers at one point. I'll leave it at that!
Old 06-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #29
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledou View Post
It may not be the best thing in the world for you at the time, but several hours together in a car may just be the ticket to drive them apart.
BTW let us know if you have some free time in while you are in the area.

QFT.

I had this unbelievably cute girlfriend when I was 17, she was 15. I went on a weekend trip with her and the rest of her immediate family. I literally could not wait to get back home, and I broke up with her the very next time I saw her.

I wish you luck!

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #30
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

I would have stuck to my guns and left him behind but maybe the long ride in the car will be good as maybe he will open up to you finally.
When I was in Jr High and High School and was a dirt bag when it came to girls but I always made sure to introduce myself to the parents especially the Fathers. Hell most of the parents loved me until I dumped their daughters a few weeks later but I learned early that if the parents liked you it made things easier especially being left alone with their daughters. This is why even before we tried having kids I knew I would have a daughter first and can guarantee that the next one will be a girl too. "Karma works in strange ways " Hell, I remember one girl I dated that I had to get rid of her because she was a complete psycho but it was tough because I actually enjoyed hanging out with her dad as we would often hang out in the garage and have a beer together and talk cars and actually stuck around too long because of it. Hopefully if he is as bad as you think it will be a short lived relationship. If not hopefully the ride will help open up the lines of communication between the two of you. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:09 AM   #31
Big_Ern
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ernie
Trading: (1)
Trinidad
Big_Ern is on a distinguished road

just make sure he sits up front next to you for the ride there and back. otherwise one might crash due from staring in the rear view mirror. you could also let him know you have a meat grinder and really good friend who is a hog farmer in the next state!
Old 06-27-2011, 06:21 AM   #32
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I just watched Uncle Buck this weekend and this thread made me think of when he puts Bug in his truck.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:04 AM   #33
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

I say no.It seems nobody has given him a talk on how to be a man and meet and shake hands with the dad.
And that shows a lack of respect on his part.If he can't figure that out on his own,his personality leaves much to be desired.
He obviously hasn't had any guidance from his own father or step father.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #34
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

I'm with most here and say no. If he can't respect you and shake your hand and have a talk with you then how is he going to respect your daughter. to taking him.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #35
justonemorestick
Kat Krap Kontanment Media

First Name: Warren
Trading: (13)
justonemorestick is on a distinguished road

Take him along but first take him out in the woods desert old farmland etc and give him a shovel and make him dig the hole for you and explain that you have rules and expectations that he will take care of your daughter and her friend and respect your rules. After that let him go besides if she has stupid with her she has at least one reason not to hookup with Mr Concert Dumass while she is there.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #36
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say no as well...she is 16 and should consider herself lucky to be going with her best friend. That should be enough. But I realize kids today are part of that "instant gratification" generation. The expect everything NOW. Best of luck in your decision dad.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #37
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

Nothing good will come of him going, or him staying behind.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:17 AM   #38
blugill
Feeling at Home

Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by area51 View Post
Nothing good will come of him going, or him staying behind.
Don't I know it.
Thankfully I believe the shelf life on this boyfriend is short lived.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #39
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Don't I know it.
Thankfully I believe the shelf life on this boyfriend is short lived.
They mostly all are at that age. Don't sweat it. Be nice, the kid is probably just afraid of you. I know my daughter's "boyfriends" all were of me.