Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Tatuaje Fausto Avion 11

I think it is two years ago when Pete Johnson released the Tatuaje T110, a 5x50 robusto that was exclusively sold at one shop on Honolulu. I was fortunate enough to get one of the only 400 boxes. The feedback was so positive that Pete decided to release a whole series of the blend under the name Fausto, and to release a limited single size each year under the name Avion. This is the first Avion, the Avion 11. This 6¾x48/52 perfecto grande has a price tag of € 9,50 in The Netherlands and will only be temporarily available here.

The band is awesome and it fits the fantastic perfecto shape of the cigar, which is box pressed with a fantastic smooth and silky dark wrapper that only has a few minor and thin veins. I smell a horse stable and the construction feels great. The predraw is smooth and fine and I taste tobacco with a peppery aftertaste.

I taste red pepper which makes my tongue tingle. After half an inch the pepper fades away a bit and I taste pepper, wood and some sweetness. The sweetness slowly gets stronger and much to my surprise the flavors are getting smooth and subtle, I never expected that after the strong start. Smooth and subtle with cedar, sweetness, a hint of nuts and pepper. After a third I taste cedar and sweetness, I still taste a mild pepper in the aftertaste. Slowly I also taste some herbs like parsley.

Halfway I taste sweet cedar and peppery herbs. The cedar is the strongest flavor I taste. Soon after a mild bitter flavor which is very pleasant shows up too. The herbs are slowly gaining strength while the sweetness disappears. After two thirds I taste a mild minty flavor with the herbs. The aftertaste is peppery which tingles on my lips.

This cigar lasted me for an hour and a half. The draw is great and I got a lot of smoke. I had to correct the burn several times though in the beginning. The ash starts out dark but turns lighter and it is firm. This cigar is full flavored and full bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? Hell yeah, in my book this cigar can compete with the Liga Privada #9 and even a Padron 1926

Appearance: 9 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 9 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
Old 10-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice
Default Re: Tatuaje Fausto Avion 11

Great review Ferdie I need to dig one of these out of the vino
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
gbum
Feeling at Home

First Name: Asyraf
Trading: (0)
Partagas
gbum is on a distinguished road

great like always ferdie
Old 10-14-2011, 05:17 AM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Damn fine review Ferdie. Glad I grabbed a few of these.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:42 AM   #5
darkninja67

Great review as always. I have a box of these resting, smoked a few. I do not find these as strong as the M80 which is based off the T110 blend as well. Very good cigar overall though
Old 10-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
Mutombo

I need to try one of these. I wasn't blown away by any of the Faustos I've smoked, but I've heard that the Avions are quite a bit better than the Faustos (even though it's the same blend).
Old 10-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutombo View Post
I need to try one of these. I wasn't blown away by any of the Faustos I've smoked, but I've heard that the Avions are quite a bit better than the Faustos (even though it's the same blend).
The Avion is better than the "regular" Fausto blends.

However, I bought some Faustos when they first came out. Didn't really like them. Let them sit and lit up a couple this past weekend. They changed a lot. Much nicer smoke after sitting for a short period. The Avion is still better.

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I will need to hunt some of these down. Guess I need to hit Tampa Humidor.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #9
LigaPrivadaT84

I can see the teeth on the wrapper; sounds like a great smoke.
Thanks for the review.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Went to smoke one after reading this, mine are buried too deep in the humi, went with a DPG JJ Maduro
Old 10-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

I agree Fern. The Avion is at the top of Pete's 2011 releases, and the best Fausto.
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #12
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Nice review Thanks!
Old 10-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #13
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

First Name: Jason
Trading: (24)
Partagas
deadrise has a spectacular aura aboutdeadrise has a spectacular aura about

very good review will be on the lookout for these thanks
Old 10-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #14
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

Great review. Glad i have 2 of these relaxing in the humi.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #15
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I have smoked only one Fausto and one Avion so far. I must dissagree with everybody else so far, I enjoyed the Fausto better. The Fausto (Not sure which size) produced more flavor. The Avion was good but a little more bland IMHO. I would like to try both a few more times as the Avion was my 4th or 5th stick of the day.
I like the shape of the Avion but it is just too big for my personal preference.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #16
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Thanks Ferdie! I've been curious about these blends since I like the Red Bands and Triunfadors so much.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #17
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

Thanks Ferdie, I have wanted to try this for a while, but was waiting for a good review before pulling the trigger...guess I will start a search for one.
HollywoodQue is offline   Reply With Quote